Forum / Boardroom Changes

ACW

So, just for the sake of clarity, if a member wants to arrange a bulk buy, they have to get the company offering the products at a discount to post the thread. To do this will require the company to register as a Trader at a cost of £120?

Yes.

The number of bulk buys being organised by members has died away very significantly. Only 3 over last year and 2 off those did not go ahead. This way the Trader controls the sales and can then decide whether to go ahead if numbers not reached. Also they have 12 months to continue advertising other items. A Bargin :d :d

would just like to say i have done 3 bulk buys in the last year and all of them went ahead. but i dont think they would under the new scheme.

its the club decision i respect their view , but i wont be doing any more sorry

So, just for the sake of clarity, if a member wants to arrange a bulk buy, they have to get the company offering the products at a discount to post the thread. To do this will require the company to register as a Trader at a cost of £120?

Just for the sake of clarity, as you say:

Bulk buys will ONLY be able to be started and run directly by the company itself, not by members. There are many reasons for this, all of them to do with numerous past difficulties on previous bulk buys.

These companies, if they want to offer a bulk buy to the club, can only do so on the boardroom if they are a Trader or Sponsor.

If you read my previous post, there are many benefits and it is NOT a program charging £120 for one bulk buy.

Since this morning, we have already had four well-known eligible and appropriate companies contact us to express strong interest and ask for details.

glad to hear it. :t-up:

If you want to examine the reply, then telling me to read point F is redundant 'cos I was quoting point F. I fail to see how "see point F" is helpful. Maybe you didn't read the question properly?

Your answer was too long and failed to give a nice simple positive or negative response that would have made for 100% clarity. Sometimes, less is more.

What if you have been a paid up member for a good few years, no longer own a Westfield and decide to let the membership lapse. Are you then limited to the FU tenure of 30 days or 20 posts ?

Yes, that is correct.

FYI, the privileges for Forum Users have now been updated. Forum Users may reply to all adverts in the Members Adverts section (but not start an advert); and may use the PM facility to communicate as well, although their inbox is limited to a maximum of 10 PMs, rather than the 50 maximum enjoyed by WSCC Members.

I am sorry, but quoting that 4 companies have expressed an opinion is not in the least evidence that this is good, so don't believe your own hype. After all I can quote other posters and say there will be at least 3 less. Titfortat comes to mind.

Perhaps history will prove otherwise, but I really do fail to see what benefits membership brings. After all there are many other sites to sell and purchase stuff, many other car forums, so what set us apart was our support/ deals/ membership centric views. This does feel like regulation too far.....please reconsider.

This seems to be getting complicated but I trust it will sort itself out. People must do what's best for the club and be flexible in deciding and agreeing what the best way forward might be.

At the northern AOs meeting our intention was to find ways to encourage people who had a secondary Westfield type business. It's quite clear that a number of people that I have bought from have a day job as well as what they run out of their spare bedroom or the back of their garage. It seems to us that the owners of these businesses are often expert in what they do and can often offer exceptional advice, quality and value for money.

It seemed to us that these Westfield type businesses did not have any encouragement from the club (and sometimes quite the reverse) and that was in our view wrong.

Please keep the intention clear in your deliberations :) :) :)

Thanks - Rory's Dad

The Committee considered the status of “Forum Users”. Recognising that it was good to allow potential members to experience the offer available to members, but also the disruption which has been caused on the Boardroom by a handful of long term “Forum Users”. The committee does not want to be forced to go members only. it was decided that FUs should be limited to tenure of 30 days or 20 posts (whichever comes first) from join up. It was further decided that, during their “trial tenure” FU rights should be extended to enable them to reply to member advertisements, to post in the “Ebay Links” section, and to send and receive PMs. After this time they will have a choice of becoming a member or becoming read only. The Committee would also look at the feasibility of offering an online trial extension for 60 days for a fee of around £10.

Why penalise the majority for a "handful of long term users" ? Yes, there are possibly a handful that wont join the club whatever.. Trying to force people to join up in my opinion wont work either though. (Not sure who the handful are, but I can only think of the recent Lord benny thread. Nothing more than a witch hunt, shameful! Can't see that sort of membership recruitment working at all!)

..and traders having to pay £120 up front to see if they can muster a group buy.. we're totally losing the plot! :down:

• Like 2

while i respect the decisions made for the club i think there should be some reasoning behind the decision made clear to everyone as the group buy rules seem to have upset alot of people.

i have my own ideas as to why i think they have done it

the first been to generate more revenue for the club which is not a bad thing on the face of it.

and the second is that there have been a few group buys recently which have sold the same or similar items to the sponsors and i suspect a complaint has been made along the lines of. don't promote these items or were pulling out

also as a trade member would you have free choice to sell what you like or would all group buys etc have to be approved.

what about people with links in their signature will they now need trade membership

anyway rant over and i must express that these are my views made myself from the lack of information avail and not facts

whatever the reasons though i see no majority member benefits to the rule other than we will now lose out and get bombarded with unwanted adds

Spot on Andrew.

Whilst recognising that we have sponsors, pretending that competition does not exist is foolish. We do not offer sponsors exclusivity, nor endorse their products, yet we seem to now be offering protection, we offer exposure not an artificial environment.

I do feel strongly on this point, we exist to bring the best deals to our members, not just the deals we like.

• Like 1

In the fashion in which it is (was) being currently conducted, then yes.

The reasoning behind these changes will be explained in more detail and background in this thread by one of the committee members in the next day or two, which I appreciate members may need to help them fully understand why the committee took the careful decisions on changes that it did, and why these changes were required. In the meantime, I do urge members to re-read the original post carefully and with an open mind. Thanks.