Forum / Boardroom Changes

ACW

Note from The M-Team ("M" for "Moderation") - yes, there have been a few posts removed, due to a number of complaints.  The M-Team really don't like having to do that, but occasionally there's little choice but to do so to keep the peace.  They're as sorry to do so as some are that it's been done and brings them no joy, but this is supposed to be a friendly and family club, even when emotive subjects come into play.  Hope you'll all understand - thanks. :)

I lurk weekly if not daily but rarely post.

Nothing has fustrated me more than these threads complaining about changes which appear to me to be fair but could and I'm sure would be changed if after a trial period it was found to disadvantage or adversely effect the club. 

The point I feel is missed by many complaining here is that this is a club and clubs require a revenue to operate and provide the great events and facilities to its members including this boardroom.

I get a lot out of reading posts but for my own reasons don't feel I have much to offer in terms of replying to most of them. I do however realize that people are giving up their own time to facilitate the boardroom, mag and various events and as way of support I gladly pay my membership. This makes me feel a club member because I am a club member! If I didn't pay I would probably receive the exact same in every respect but wouldn't be supporting the very thing I am utalizing which feels to me to be very unfair and unsupportive.

It's a choice thing and for me I feel support should be shown to the club and its committee in the best way possible, by paying the small fee which enables more of the same.

The negitives being posted are haming and confusing the club and its members. If you don't like it, don't pay! If youre unsure, continue to pay and support the club and evaluate its success in 12 months time! People didn't like the changes to the web site until they understood and used it, what's the difference? 

The subs are supporting a national club. Local areas are introducing face book and the like which I understand to be free so there are options.

Sorry to take up more page space but I really feel strongly about this and just wish people would give things and other members a chance before criticising.

This was in no way an attempt to increase my dismal post count       

• Like 5

chiefy, not worried about your post count but now your on my essex radar i expect to see you going us for runs out next year, espscially as your cars the correct colour :).

Well said Chiefy. 

If you don't have much to say make every sentence count.

You have.

Wish I could do that  :)

Pistol,

I will definitly try and make a few of the runs. I did make it to the Cambs meet last summer and ran up to Donnington and Stoneleigh but haven't used the car nearly enough over the past couple of years.

Whoops, I see we've lost the club logo at the top of the page again!

For the moment, yes.  Adrian did a flash upgrade to v3.41 late last night to get rid of some bugs.  Normal logo will be returned later.

:yes: Do be careful, the slave drivers are going to be wearing their whips out on poor Adrian's back!  :laugh: 

In this case, it's Adrian flogging himself!  Like me, Adrian is a bit of a perfectionist, and unlike me, he's really very, very good at what he does.  I have been doing what little I can to support him backstage, in much the same way a folded beer mat levels a slightly wonky table. :d. We're very lucky to have him. :)

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Bit behind on seeing this thread.

All good ideas. Is there a technical way to prevent people signing up as a new Forum User each time the trial period expires?

When I read the post for the first time, the above jumped out to me also, but otherwise it seamed largely reasonable.

I dont thing there is really any way of stopping someone joining again and again to claim the 30days/20posts intro offer, assuming they can supply you with a new email address and ip number, which 98% can without cost or difficulty. You will also have cases of various members sharing ip addresses if they use the same mobile internet provide so you can really ban that either in my experience.

As for the bulk buy issue, I can see if from both sides.

- If you make them pay and organised it themselves, a lot will not bother, hurting the membership.

- If you give them the trader status for free, its a loop hole and a kick in the crotch for traders.

You could make it free for members to organised a Bulk Buy, but then have an issue that sometimes the supplier had close ties with, or even is, the member. So its not simple either way, and something fairly unique to our (wscc's) type of forum.

Certainly I know from my own forum, where the issue is far from resolved, advertising and the balance allowing it, banning it, charging for it, is not easy.

Daniel

On the issue of "preventing people signing up as a new Forum User each time the trial period expires", with just over a year's experience under my belt with this new membership level (30 days / 20 posts), it has been wholly successful.  I do keep a close eye on things and monitor newbie activity very closely, and there's only been one attempt, early on, to get around the system - and it was a pretty clumsy one at that.

It's been highly beneficial in that people can first see, without paying, the value of the club first-hand - and the members do a great job welcoming newbies and making buying membership an attractive proposition.

So while no system is perfect, this has been hard work which was well worth the effort.

I very much appreciate the value of having a taster session, and in making it long enough that people get a feel for it, without being long enough to cover a whole build or project. I like it.

Sounds like you keep a closer eye on it that I do my own forums membership!

Daniel

Oh, I keep a very close eye on things...

msy.jpg

;)  :laugh:  :t-up:  :cool:  :westy:

(That thing actually reminds me of my sister-in-law... :ghostface: )