Forum / Boardroom Changes

ACW

I don't want to prolong this thread but......

The forum is the WSCC's forum (and, of course, paid for by WSCC) so they are, in my opinion, inextricably linked.

yes of course you are correct,  what i am trying to convey is that the forum should be able to be self sufficient financially, thus non members and more importantly potential full members of the wscc would have access to the forum at less than the rate of full membership, in order to participate and keep the dream alive until hopefully taking the plunge and purchasing a car.

since the wscc is in effect a product then i would ask the questions 

where is this product presently marketed  and how can this marketing be improved?

surely the forum is (should be) the shop window ?

i will add that i in no way underestimate the efforts of those involved in running such a club and appreciate it on behalf of those members that fully participate, i do however happen to disagree with some aspects of how the forum is administrated (as you might have guessed :-) ). 

Do  you think a £10 'boardroom membership' would work?

My guess would be that people fall into one of the two categories, wanting to be a member or not wanting to be a member. I would doubt that the latter would pay anything for use of the boardroom, whether it's £30 or £1.

Just my thoughts, which might well be wrong.

surely the forum is (should be) the shop window ?

An open goal if ever I saw one...

The purpose of a shop window is to let people SEE what's on offer. How many of us go in the shop, use the goods then leave without paying. Or maybe lots of people do... Maybe the non payers are the sort of those folks who read the papers in Smiths but never buys one? Perhaps they only ever go in to a pub to use the bog?

On the other hand, there are plenty of shops that will let potential customers try before they buy. We do that too, for 30 days. Try asking the bloke at the shoe shop if it's OK to wear a pair of shoes for a month then return them slightly used because they didn't meet expectations, and then not pay.

The forum IS the shop window but like any shop, potential customers don't get to benefit from the product without parting with a fair price for the goods and services offered.

• Like 1

The debate still rumbles away on the Darkside, and that's been a done deal for years, but sure as eggs is eggs it rears its head again every so often.

But you're trying enough already  :laugh: 

Sorry it was an open door, and you know I can't help falling through those  :down:  :oops: 

You should have read the next line of that post :devil:

And Langy deleted his post so now I make less sense than usual :down:

Blatmans Xmas card list:

Mark Stanton

Webmaster

Memb Sec

Gadgetman

Mum

Dad

Me

Blatmans Xmas card list:

Mark Stanton

Webmaster

steved

Memb Sec

Gadgetman

Mum

Dad

Me

:oops:

Thought I would add my perspective. I've been using or following the forums since the late 90's. Had a Westfield until about 2001 and let my paid up membership lapse after that, but I still checked the site regularly for entertainment and information. After the fuss a few months ago I promised myself that as a point of principle I would pay up again, but never got round to it. Ironically, the email was well received as i could not remember my username :) Glad to report that I have now.

Do I have a Westfield? No.

Am I going to buy one any time soon? No.

Do I regularly look at the forums (even if I just lurk and rarely post)?. Yes.

Am I happy to pay up, even though I don't have cause to apply any knowledge? Hell, yes.

I get all the arguments about a shp window, and perhaps some of the restrictions are a bit much, e.g. Many forums can't be read at all, but let's be honet here, it's not exactly big business.

I am very happy to be fully signed up again, I hope others feel the same.

I'm now off to go back to lurking and checking for updates from those who feel like friends even if I've never even swapped messages.

Cheers,

Julian

Thanks Julian. As for the rest of you - play nice. This might be a 'marmite' issue but please be civil.

Mark,

We (the committee) and you have different points of view on bulk buys. Payment for helping out your fellow club members wether implicit or explicit isnt right in our opinion. In you example of a gearbox (and I dont know the details) one free should have been put into the bulk buy for the benefit of all. I think most would agree this is the right and proper way (except maybe those that have benefitted from others).

You know that the external Ads forum was links in the past, any newbie, and the rest of us with time will get to know its where non member ads are placed. (links to external and real ads). If a newbie checks out member ads first, then this is good as its probably better for all if they buy off a member ahead of a non member.

Regards,

Adrian.

See you too assume that members will now be bothered to organise a BB. Yes some will, but now more will not as evidenced by the feedback already recieved. Additionally any astue commercial offering will simply absorb "the free one" as they will only offer what they can affort and want to, there is not a choice of discounts or a bigger discount if via the committee rather than a member. As the choice is only one of having a BB deal or not, then surely having a BB is better for members than not?

I applaud your view on altruistic commercial planning but why not just let this be a personal choice for the member doing the organising?

With my views as you put it, there is no risk to less BB's for the members, yet with the decision taken as it stands there is, that appears very cavalier.

Oh and before we all judge, I organised two Team Dynamic wheels BB's and whilst offered free wheels never took em.

And Langy deleted his post so now I make less sense than usual :down:

Couldn't get the quote thing to work and couldn't be arsed to re-type it.

It went something along the lines of WH Smiths library and the Apple Store (free internet cafe!)

Mark (Cooper), You may be right about member generated BB's You may not. Members who are club minded will take the opportunity to get discounts for all as they will not be looking for any financial incentive. Who knows?

No one. So why don't we just leave it for 6 or 12 months and then take stock.

You're beginning to sound like me, rattling on and on.

As for non members wanting it all for free whilst I (we) have to pay is really beyond belief.