• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ciavatta

• SootySport

• Torqueman

• alexander72

Hi Stephen, I was looking at your diffuser thread right now!

The black gloves are from "sermoneta" (there's a boutique also in London), I have also the longer version for winter... But I now switched to OMP Gloves and Glasses from their "vintage" lineup.

I also found a good british site for this stuff, but I think you alredy knew it: HoldenVintage.

Closing the "vintage appareal stuff" chapter, this is the helmet. There's also a winter version, just search the ebay. The funny thing about the helmet, is that I was wasting time in portobello road, in the wait to take the train to woking and go buy the car, when I saw that helmet sitting on a classic wood desk, with some other rubbish period stuff. It was love at first sight! And two hours after I bought the Megabusa too. :d

Now, about the debate RHD/LHD, that's growing up like caterham/westfield, CEC/BEC and rigid/flex brake hoses... Before buying the car I was quite worried about driving to the right side with the steering wheel on the wrong side. But after 5 minuts in the car on the road here I came to conclusion that I'm still driving on the right side, but the steer is on the "right" side too. Same thing about the gear lever. I did some training with rfactor and GTR2 pc simulators, putting the sticklever on the left on my driving cockpit, and once in the car I felt like I have ever drove like that.

There's a lot of people here looking for a RHD seven from pistonheads, but they are ALL discouraged about the RHD factor... I remember when I was in their same position, and all of my westfield fellow told me to not worry... they were absolutely "right"!

Now, that I have to rebuild from scratch, would be easypeasy to switch to LHD, but I decided to stay on the right, 'cause:

A- The Engine is on the left, I have to seat on the right for the weight balance

B- Don't like have pedals and brake/clucth fluid reservois just behind the engine and exhaust

C- I would have to put one more joint in the steering column

D- It's a british car! It have to be RHD!

E- I can easily give some good slaps at some nice buttocks ambling around

F- from a couple of build diaries read online (hanks and palatov) it seems they thought more or less the same as points A/B/C

If you did that in the UK you would be up in court for assualt. Nice idea though. :)

Some times you need to be creative!

Not really a problem... I can actually pass underneath those garage-bars :cool:

Bernie, you're right, but they have to catch you first! :d

...And to do that in the Uk I have to drive a WRD™ (WrongHand Drive) car there...

James, thanks! :love:

Referring to A*** slapping comments.

af44827d.jpg

Flat flip flops and jeans, imagine the usual mini skirts or hot pants!!!

you are welcome my moustachoied Italian Brother in Westfielding...... keep up the good work..... :)

I can't really wait to stop writing/posting foolishness, and made a proper thread with the rebuild, but meanwhile...

211o4ee.jpg

Indeed, I would try to start train myself to those techincal stuff, so...

I'm quite firm on the mods I would be made to the chassis, like a welded steel plate under the footwells area, some bracing on the upper member of that area, seat mounts made with 1/2"X2" tubing instead of that thin iron strips that came as standard, and add some bracing from the upper column plate (a pic worth thousand words)... But last thing to decide before ordering is that about the rollbar. I really like the "Jap bar" design, which I already have, but I know that's a little more than cosmetic, so I was looking for something safer. I think I have to go with the RAC one, isn't it? I did some search 'round here, but I couldn't understand if a standard full- hood (waiting for the factory-made half as per Gadgetman thread) would still be fittable with it, or if I have to order a slight shorter version of the rollbar. Or if adding some rear bracing and a petty strut to the jap bar I can stay "confortable" on the safer side, or if it's still ineffective cause it's too short in height.

I will like to hear your thoughs about, and if you have some other advice about the chassis, it'll be more than welcome!

Thank you gents

Edited by Ciavatta

upupup!

That's the situation this evening

150243_4594938307983_790371504_n.jpg

Waiting for a new bench&vice in the next weeks.

Maybe this weekend I'll finish to panel the garage with some policarb, to seal it and give sense to the stove. I have to make a closed box to quiet the air compressor.

Last but not least, take a deep look at the car to choose what mods will be done on the new chassis. After that I'll be quite ready to disassemble the wreck.

you are welcome my moustachoied Italian Brother in Westfielding...... keep up the good work..... :)

Was that aimed at me? I hope not, I'm of Sicilian decent but in fact consider myself pretty much as English as they come. Stand to attention for national anthem when it's played, know which way round the union flag is flown (call it by the correct name too!), served for Queen and country, pay British taxes and shafted by government! Lol

Think you meant Andrea though.

Not a rant by any means, light hearted giggle.

I can't really wait to stop writing/posting foolishness, and made a proper thread with the rebuild, but meanwhile...

211o4ee.jpg

Indeed, I would try to start train myself to those techincal stuff, so...

I'm quite firm on the mods I would be made to the chassis, like a welded steel plate under the footwells area, some bracing on the upper member of that area, seat mounts made with 1/2"X2" tubing instead of that thin iron strips that came as standard, and add some bracing from the upper column plate (a pic worth thousand words)... But last thing to decide before ordering is that about the rollbar. I really like the "Jap bar" design, which I already have, but I know that's a little more than cosmetic, so I was looking for something safer. I think I have to go with the RAC one, isn't it? I did some search 'round here, but I couldn't understand if a standard full- hood (waiting for the factory-made half as per Gadgetman thread) would still be fittable with it, or if I have to order a slight shorter version of the rollbar. Or if adding some rear bracing and a petty strut to the jap bar I can stay "confortable" on the safer side, or if it's still ineffective cause it's too short in height.

I will like to hear your thoughs about, and if you have some other advice about the chassis, it'll be more than welcome!

Thank you gents

I have RAC roll bar, only one I would have. I'd go for a well known brand too. If you ever need it and you went cheapest route you won't be able to regret it!

I got rear ended at lights and the two brace bars basically saved the whole back end and tank. Was I previous car! When you get a new bar, high level brake light! It's saved my A*** a few times! People look through the bar and not down at your lights.

The standard roof fits, saggy as a fat girls chest, and pram rails won't fit on RAC bar. So find a local soft top fitter/repair place and they will adjust it for you. Next is to get a fibreglass tent pole or kite bar (5mm-10mm) find a way to mount it going front-rear. I used a "C" clip for house pipes and drilled a hole for the rear and used the rear view mirror threaded hole in middle of windscreen. I have 5mm bar cut in half with a cross link piece to connect once in place. Make it too long so bends up a bit and add 2 small pieces to cross link to stop it spinning around.

What an entertaining thread. Welcome Andrea - no one else here could make driving gloves look good - I want some! And I love your reason E for driving a right hand drive car. :d:yes: I daydream about taking my westy to tuscany - one day.

With regards to roll bar. No amount of modifying will make the standard bar effective. It's too short (your head will hit the ground ) and the RAC bars have much sturdier base mounting in addition to the cross brace and rear supports. However its perfectly easy to make the standard roof fit with an RAC bar. The 'pram frame' just needs slight modification - remove the second of the three supports (as this is replaced by the RAC itself. To allow the frame to clear the roll bar when erecting, I modified the pivot from a hole to a 2cm slot so that the frame lifts sufficiently.

Ben

Thank you guys!

So the RAC seems to be a must have: "If you ever need it and you went cheapest route you won't be able to regret it!" I think that phrase tells everything.

About fitting the hood with the RAC, I honestly prefer the Ben solution, it sounds neater to me. And given that the use of a full hood would be only an extreme measure, I think a modded frame and a removable pivot bracket would perfect. So I'll install all that hardware when I plan to eventually use the hood (only in winter for ex.), but in the normal configuration (half hood) I can avoid to bring with me all that useless scraps.

Just for reference, while you obviously can mod the hood frame - it used to be the popular way of doing it. As long as you tell the factory that's what you need when ordering, you can get the full hood with an RAC fitting kit for the frame. It adds a hinged extra link at each side where the frame bolts to the car, the original frame then bolts to the links on a slotted mount so that it will slide up a few cm while you lift it over the RAC bar, before dropping down to it's normal position on the other side.

That said, for quickness and ease of use, the half hood is an even better idea! No frames to worry about at all then, so obviously the extra height of the RAC bar compared to the much lower Jap bar gives more head and hat :d clearance when the half hood is up.

PS love the head gear, just wish I was cool enough to pull that look off as effectively as you!

[...] It adds a hinged extra link at each side where the frame bolts to the car

Thanks, that sounds good.

The only reason I'm taking all of this effort to give the car the possibility to have a fool hood is that I already have one! So, while I already have, I would leave me the possibility to use it, but already knowing that an half hood is the only I'm going tu use... :d

It sounds a bit confused to me Indeed, hope that's clearer for you! :d

I will ask for that extra link to the factory ;)

Yes, Half Hoods are becoming popular over here. As said before the factory hood will fit with an RAC rollbar although not as snug. I have never driven the car with the hood up yet, It's seems just too hard to get into the car with it, I think I would dislocate some joints trying.

Keep up with the foolishness, we like it.

A*** slapping comments were on which thread?

B4FC8CEB-93D4-48F6-BA94-585E69C0015F-461-0000003B749E0BE4.jpg

She's behind car, so legs appear shorter. Still in flip flops though