Newby From Abroad

Ciavatta

Manacha la... you got the steering wheel on the wrong side... Some day I will take my car down to Italy, great roads, climate, food and people :)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ciavatta

• SootySport

• Torqueman

• alexander72

Welcome from me. Despite my name I'm not Italian.

I'm in France and have a Caterham but am a member of the club so see no reason you shouldn't join. It's a really good community.

Manacha la... you got the steering wheel on the wrong side... Some day I will take my car down to Italy, great roads, climate, food and people :)

I disagree, the steering wheel is on the right side, he is driving on the wrong side.

Thank you all for the welcome!

I really appreciate all the kind words, especially about the moustache :d

I learnt a lot of synonims to say "crazy"... I like effin' nutter, it's sounds good to me.

I will try to answer to everyone, so... I have to quote like there's no tomorrow? No way.

As some already said, it's for me a good opportunity to build the car as I want. Indeed it was already a plane before the infamous Alps trip. And It's funnily enough that I had sitting in the garage a godd part of the broken stuff, like a widetrack kit and the oil tank for the drysump, with another bunch of other bits 'n bobs.

Now, I have to order a new chassis, and I'll caught the ocassion to add some bracing and to personalize it a bit.

Talking about the other italian Westfield fellows, yes there's a little community here. I think there will be a dozen cars here, some other Busas and Blades, a couiple o Seight and some other CEC, including the latest Sport Turbo.

The sevenesque situation in Italy is a bit "strange"... There' a lot of people in a very big Lotus Club, they organize a challenge with 50 to 70 cars attending on every event, and we "poor's seven men" were adopted in that community. There are some other kit cars, like MK and Furys, I think 70% of the kit car scenario in Italy is BEC related.

On the other side there's another good group of Cateringvan owners, that are nice people, but it seems they want to be "alone" and take part only at their events. A bit odd in my opinion, as I know some of them and they're really good guys.

The seveneque and kit car market is growing up really fast here, because in the past years was a nightmare to get a license plate for a kitcar, so your only choice here was to go to the only Caterham seller and pay 40k+ euros for a RS120. There's also a westfield official dealer, but it's not enjoying a great favor... Now the situation is changed, and an effin nutter like me can go in the UK and buy a RHD Seven (and "right" here stands also for proper) and with some effort and the right friends (who knows how burocrazy works) get an Italian license plate and have tons of fun driving along the fanstatic roads down here.

Oh dear... i made it very long. Sorry. But writing here it's a bit "emotional" 'cause I read here from very long ago, and it's very nice for me to finally have a chat wit you.

Somesay asked for cojones? In Italy we say "coglioni", but it's best suited to refer to morons. The correct word to say meatballs like a compliment is just.. Balls. (Palle)

Answering Alexander about the cd palyer: The helmet is a tank crew helmet, and it come with some period radio speakers (from WWII). I simply sobstituted that crappy stuff with a pair of good headphones, so I canbeneft from the original sound insulation areas inside the helmet, with the plus of some good music for the boring part of the blats (for the best one I still prefer the crazy srceaming suzuki)

Hi Norman, did you know some seven-mates near "our" board? 'Cause in a couple of hours in sospel I meet two different caterham owners! And one of them is the owner of the hotel where I have spent the night (before the accident, it's called "Auberge du col de brouis"...

Well, I thinks it's enough! :d

I hope to be not too annoying, and once again apologize for my english (I would receive any sort of language correction/suggestion with a big tank you, as I'd love to take the occasion to improve both my knowlodgmente with the car and the language)

Cheers!

Andrea

Umbria - Castelluccio "highland"

sg31av.jpg

Abruzzo - "Wind-turbine" road (actually without any turbine in the picture...)

zbnsw.jpg

Yes, excellent posts, and no need to apologise for your English, it's miles better than our Italian, and I dare say better than the English of a few members in here!

I do love Tuscany, used to stay at a little villa called Pietralata near Casole d'Elsa and had some lovely times there, with runs out to Sienna, Volterra and San Gimignano being my favourites, perhaps Florence if I wanted to see a bit of Botticelli at the Uffizi. Happy days. :)

If they are CR500 tyres then the Caterinvan guys use them with the front wheels having the tread facing upwards for dry roads and change to downward for wet conditions

Normally for other tyre patterns the v shape on the tread should point down to the road

Yes, excellent posts, and no need to apologise for your English, it's miles better than our Italian, and I dare say better than the English of a few members in here!

Hear, hear! Or perhaps more usefully for Andrea; "I'll drink to that!"

As many long posts as you like Andrea with the odd video thrown in. Always nice to see some stories and photos from Westy owners around the world.

One day we will have some sunny days in the UK like in Italy. :d .

Do not worry about the Catering van men, they are a bit stuffy over here as well, except Norman Verona of course and a couple of others.

Hope to hear and see you again soon.

I disagree, the steering wheel is on the right side, he is driving on the wrong side.

Well, outside the UK the steering wheel is on the wrong side, and he drives on the "Right" side :p

Rome is great to visit but a friend of mine has a house inland from Ancona at St Ginesio and we have been 3 times and each time I just love driving the hire car around the Sibillini mountains

Hear, hear! Or perhaps more usefully for Andrea; "I'll drink to that!"

As many long posts as you like Andrea with the odd video thrown in. Always nice to see some stories and photos from Westy owners around the world.

There's a very nice mood around here :yes:

Yep, front tyres are actually back to front. I heard about the same story of caterhamists, but I did it for a more silly reason: The tyres were worn only on the inside shoulder, so I switched n/s with o/s to wear them equally. Placebo effect or not, when I took tha car for a spin I felt more "work" on the front tyres during hard braking. Maybe it's only suggestion, but it can be also true, considering an eventual directional design in the construction of the tyre, like for example the modern sportsbyke tyres (don't know if these are the correct words, hope you can understand what I mean)... But, nevermind. The car is intended for mainly road use, so all of this stuff goes directly into the "mental masturbation" bin.

Colonel, I live in Rome, but for a couple of yers a had a girlfriend from Tuscany, and I been there every weekend. At that time I had an Elise, and I drove it up and down on every B-road. I think I did something like 20k miles around there! Very good food&wine, gorgeous places/landscapes and even better roads. Only problem is the "aboriginal" (ok I googled here :laugh: ) that are a bit odd.

The best way to drive and see tuscany (and other gorgeous parts of Italy) is the "MilleMiglia" , a sort of revival like your splendid Goodwood festival. But the funny thing is that's a proper road-race with period cars along normal roads. it starts from Brescia in the north of Italy, then down to Rome, passing throug tuscany, and then up again to Brescia.

For us Italian petrolhead is THE event, as we have the opportunity to chase the period cars, and drive without any kind of limit for a couple of days, with policemen along the road encouraging to push the loud pedal, two continous wings of crowd, with posters, horns and banners on the side of the road for miles and miles... Very hard to describe how beautiful and special it is. I will give you a far idea with some piccies...

Typical MilleMiglia situations...

rbce1c.jpg

263koip.jpg

2nw0i8y.jpg

10famp5.jpg

And that's only a little patch. It's also a way too see in the same place friends usually scattered along Italy. This year we manage to put something like 60 cars at a gas station near Siena (2nd picture is part of that) and meet all togheter during the "race" it's a true logistical pain...

I will leave you also a short youtube clip from a friend.

So, if you want to visit Italy, do it during the 1000Miglia! A real "show in the show". ;)

About me, if I ever go/back in the UK with the car, I will certainly bring her onto the fanstastic Scottish roads. I really fell in love with the highlands landscapes, unfortunately seen only in some Evo pictures.

@terry: the picture "Castelluccio Highland" is exactly in the heart of the Sibillini! Give me a shout when you comeback here!

Edited by Ciavatta