Newby From Abroad

Ciavatta

Well, outside the UK the steering wheel is on the wrong side, and he drives on the "Right" side :p

No, it is definitely on the RIGHT side, whichever side of the road they drive on. it's an English car and Jonny foreigner with a English car will always insist on the steering wheel on the Right side. Half my family are German and the car enthuisiasts amongst them will not want the steering wheel on the left, they acknowledge that English sportscars are special and will drive them without changing the steering wheel over, guess they want to be different to the normal Autobahn Stormers.

Ask Andrea I bet he doesn't want to change his.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ciavatta

• SootySport

• Torqueman

• alexander72

great post - "caterhamists".... good on you Andrea..... i will be investing in a tank helmet to go with my moustache. Great to have you on the forum.

James

No, it is definitely on the RIGHT side, whichever side of the road they drive on. it's an English car and Jonny foreigner with a English car will always insist on the steering wheel on the Right side. Half my family are German and the car enthuisiasts amongst them will not want the steering wheel on the left, they acknowledge that English sportscars are special and will drive them without changing the steering wheel over, guess they want to be different to the normal Autobahn Stormers.

Ask Andrea I bet he doesn't want to change his.

Yes,yes but it is safer to have a "British" car with the steering wheel on the left outside the UK, you dont agree on that?

Andrea, I've never been to the South of France with my car (if that's what you meant).

I've been to Bordeaux and Pau, but they're on the other side of the country.

We live in the North West, Pays de Loire, at the border with Bretagne.

After the war most Italian cars were made in right hand drive form. Why? because the roads were so bad, due to bomb damage not yet repaired, that it was best to have the driver on the kerb side to see where the road disappeared.

We jump in and out of our cars some of which were LHD and some RHD. At the moment they're all RHD but still get into friends LHD cars and don't have a problem. Whereas our friends mostly decline to drive our RHD cars.

Yes,yes but it is safer to have a "British" car with the steering wheel on the left outside the UK, you dont agree on that?

If it were a normal mass produced Tin Top, then yes. The only problem with a right hand drive car in Europe is when you want to overtake, your forward vision is obscured. I also refer you to the word Sinister ( left in Latin) so who would want a steering wheel on the left :d.

After all, I was just commenting in Jest.

If it were a normal mass produced Tin Top, then yes. The only problem with a right hand drive car in Europe is when you want to overtake, your forward vision is obscured. I also refer you to the word Sinister ( left in Latin) so who would want a steering wheel on the left :d.

After all, I was just commenting in Jest.

Thats exactly what I was going to refere to ;)

Mines rhd so on the wrong side for Canadian roads, wouldn't have it any other way.

Mines rhd so on the wrong side for Canadian roads, wouldn't have it any other way.

See Torqueman!!!!!! Told ya!

Hi there,

Love the gloves... I actually do love the gloves. Worth a road trip to Milan to get some?

Cheers,

Stephen

Hi Stephen, I was looking at your diffuser thread right now!

The black gloves are from "sermoneta" (there's a boutique also in London), I have also the longer version for winter... But I now switched to OMP Gloves and Glasses from their "vintage" lineup.

I also found a good british site for this stuff, but I think you alredy knew it: HoldenVintage.

Closing the "vintage appareal stuff" chapter, this is the helmet. There's also a winter version, just search the ebay. The funny thing about the helmet, is that I was wasting time in portobello road, in the wait to take the train to woking and go buy the car, when I saw that helmet sitting on a classic wood desk, with some other rubbish period stuff. It was love at first sight! And two hours after I bought the Megabusa too. :d

Now, about the debate RHD/LHD, that's growing up like caterham/westfield, CEC/BEC and rigid/flex brake hoses... Before buying the car I was quite worried about driving to the right side with the steering wheel on the wrong side. But after 5 minuts in the car on the road here I came to conclusion that I'm still driving on the right side, but the steer is on the "right" side too. Same thing about the gear lever. I did some training with rfactor and GTR2 pc simulators, putting the sticklever on the left on my driving cockpit, and once in the car I felt like I have ever drove like that.

There's a lot of people here looking for a RHD seven from pistonheads, but they are ALL discouraged about the RHD factor... I remember when I was in their same position, and all of my westfield fellow told me to not worry... they were absolutely "right"!

Now, that I have to rebuild from scratch, would be easypeasy to switch to LHD, but I decided to stay on the right, 'cause:

A- The Engine is on the left, I have to seat on the right for the weight balance

B- Don't like have pedals and brake/clucth fluid reservois just behind the engine and exhaust

C- I would have to put one more joint in the steering column

D- It's a british car! It have to be RHD!

E- I can easily give some good slaps at some nice buttocks ambling around

F- from a couple of build diaries read online (hanks and palatov) it seems they thought more or less the same as points A/B/C

Edited by Ciavatta

I lived in Germany for three years a d had lhd/rhd issues there too! I went out with UK rhd, no issues in either country. Then got a German lhd... Impossible to drive in the uk and insurance is much higher. So yes rhd is better... Or British road system worse...

Thank you for the glove help. Diffuser, best upgrade for my car. Other than carbon fibre headlamp bowls!

point E above - I can give some good slaps at some nice buttocks ambling around...................that has made my membership fee worthwhile on it's own..... :t-up: :t-up: :t-up: :t-up: :t-up: :t-up: :d :d :d :d :d :d ...... thankyou for making my day with such a fine reason for having a RHD car in Italy