Silverstone 24Th September Trackday

CL290005

Drove 180 miles and I don't think much of that allowed anything less than full concentration!! - cos even on the straights the rears wanted to spin up!! (time for new tyres me thinks).

But chuffed that the Westy took it all in it's stride..

I had a theory why despite the sun & wind the track didn't want to dry out.. Perhaps they've used a type of asphalt that drains the water down through it (to remove puddles without the need for camber and storm drains!!) - But that after the deluge there was so much water in the sub-layers that it was 'sweating' back out.?.

Anyway, it made for a lot of entertaining driving!!

I also had to squeeze a pair of polarising sunglasses under my helmet to help with the glare.. After that all the cars were purple!!

Impressive - I only managed 130miles and was pretty shattered after that.

Bit of a belated reply - but been away all weekend.

Was good to meet some of you chaps, Chris, Matt, Steve, I assume Adam (Yellow V8?) and the chap also partaking in Movember with the swept wings (sorry, didn't catch your name!).

Most of the chat was about how little grip there was, and for good reason! Although my cheating tyres really helped. I have a mate who works at Michelin and takes care of Formula Ford tyre-swapping so I'll give him a shout to see if he can get anything suitable if anyone's interested? Should be pretty cheap...

Was the first time I'd used the car 'properly' since swapping the head gasket, changing the cooling system and all the suspension settings, and it all seems to be working well. Was a bit nervous beforehand in case of any issues but it's satisfying having no mechanical issues!

We all had a really good day anyway, and I definitely want to go back when it's dry.

A couple of pics (all off phones unfortunately) from the day:

ss1.jpg

ss2.jpg

ss3.jpg

ss4.jpg

And a very lengthy video... But here's a brief 'map': 0:40 me nearly falling off the track (and then a BMW doing the same 2 laps later), 1:10 me wet lap, 5:15 Adam driving sideways, 6:00 me GTR-chasing, 9:00 Adam 2 laps by himself, 14:10 Tom driving, 18:50 me with some dry-er laps at the end of the day. For anyone interested, when the sound is half decent there's a separate mic mounted under the dash, when it's crap it's the GoPro on board mic :laugh:

Adam

It was good to meet you and your friends, it was good to watch the instructions you were doing and do a comparison. I will try and edit my video when I get some time I did catch you with the lock up!

I would be interested in set of tyres as you say an insurance bank, but I would also need to look at a set of 13 slicks(if weather gets good enough to use) as currently I am running 15's.

Hope to meet up in 2013

Chris

That was the idea :) Pretty tricky at points!

Yes, nice to meet you Chris. Haha, yeah I'd like to see the lockup, it was pretty 'squirmy' onboard! Shame we didn't get in any Westy convoys. Next time...

Adam

The other thing we should have done is had a photo shoot of all together (I picked this up when I saw your photos) too easy to remember these afterward.

The other thing I feel missed out on was rides to see how similar cars perform as I would have been interested in yours especially with your wets

I think that means we need to do it all over again :t-up:

I'm up for that , there is another one this sat :cool: .....but its fully booked :arse: .

It was good to meet you and your mates Adam , and also to see Alistair again ( was a little bit drier than Cottesmore :oops: ) , and its always good to hook up with the usual crowd ( Steve , Chris , Adam ) , I found the conditions quite challenging in the morning and should prob of got out there more when it was greasy but took the easy way out and went for a passenger ride in Steve's car ( given a bit more pratice he'll make an ok driver :p ! ) .

For me its was definatley more fun in the afternoon once a dry line appeared although it still caught me out a couple of times braking on a half wet / half dry line going into the tight chicane before the new start / finish straight .

Chris , your right , we should've arranged a group photo , we will have to do it next time :yes: , and we still need to swap cars to settle the argument :laugh: , I'd swap with Steve as well but I know once hes tried it I'd never get it back :laugh: .

Adam , if you can get hold of any suitable wets I'd be interested as well please .

I had my old video thing running for two runs after lunch (then the battery gave up before the driest running!)

Here's a lap and a bit where traffic wasn't too tricky..

I think it might be time that I seek out a better video set up - with a remote mic out of the wind..