Knockhill Track Day - 19Th August 2012

GreigM

If anyone has contact with Ray in the Sonic can you please ask him to get in touch ASAP - or get me his full name....I have to submit a list of names to Knockhill on Wednesday and I'd like it to be as "full" as possible.

Still a few places remaining - because we're over the minimum we can fill these at any time up until the 19th, so if anyone else wants to come along just book up and let me know!

Apparently there's no camping at the circuit available for long distance travellers doing this trackday. It's do-able with an early start for me, but alternatively, does anyone know of any local accommodation.. campsites, B&Bs...deserted lay-bys etc etc?

there plenty campsites round about within a few miles of knockhill there one in dollar and kinross i will find out more tomorrow.

Me and the wife are roughing it in The Windlestrae Hotel Saturday 18th and Sunday 19th, anybody else? beer?

windlestrae_front.jpg

Terry

We're coming from Manchester and also looking for a b&b. Just checked this one out online but it seems all rooms have gone.

If you're coming up from the west (i.e. up the M6/M74) etc your route up to Knockhill is better to follow this:

https://maps.google....&via=1&t=m&z=10 (just picked a start point nearby me on the M74)

Its the easiest/fastest route (avoids the M8, Forth road bridge and Dunfermline....all of which can be a pain in the A***), in which case you will find several options along the route. You will pass the door of this little B&B just 10 mins from the circuit and looks like there's enough parking for a trailer out front (although you might check the owners are happy with this):

http://www.sorobahouse.com/

Alternatively any of the travelinn type places along the route, this one just south of the Kincardine bridge (about 25 mins away) would do:

http://www.premierinn.com/en/hotel/FALBOW/falkirk-north?cmp=GLBC (although looking pricey)

Remember Knockhill is in the middle of the countryside, so all round about there will be any number of B&Bs and up there you don't have to worry much about security, maybe try google maps and just phone round for the best price.

If coming up the east coast (A1/Forth Bridge) I'd be tempted to stay north of the bridge like Terry is doing - should be lots around there, will ask a friend who comes from Dunfermline for her advice on safe places to stay with trailers....

Anybody else coming from north / Aberdeen - shire ? Convoy down in the morning ?

Some arrival information for you:

I'm expecting this will be a busy day, as it is their "Jap" themed day there will be lots of show/display cars arriving as well, so it will be busy getting through the gate - its not like other track days where you arrive and drive into the paddock. The basic routine is this:

Arrive - those with trailers will be directed to the exterior car park, where you park up and unload (trailers/tow cars are not allowed in the paddock, but you can go to/from the exterior car park at will - its just there's not enough space for trailers as the paddock is relatively small).

Join the queue for entry - if you have pre-paid just give your name at the gate, any passengers etc that aren't pre-paid will have to pay entry.

When through the main gate, turn left, you will see the "pens" in the paddock - current info is we are pen 3 - park up in the pen.

Now head over to the left to the "media centre" for sign-on. Please have your forms pre-filled - you can download them HERE

Note: Non-driving passengers sign-on in the helmet store in the pit-lane....its close to the media centre. I think there is a small fee for passengers (poss £5).

At sign-on because we are pre-booked you simply hand in your form, let them know your name, show your DRIVERS LICENSE (mandatory) and let them know you are for the Westfield Session (number 3) - you will have your drivers wristband put on and be given a small number 3 sticker for your windscreen/aeroscreen.

You will then wait until a briefing is about to start them move into the next room for the drivers briefing (I'll give a brief write up of what happens on-track later, including flags used etc). Once that is done you exit via a side door and you're ready to go - get back to your car and get yourself ready.

Note, the gate opens at 8am - due to my trailer I tend to arrive just before 8am in order to get unloaded, signed on, briefing etc without being rushed. Being session 3 we are likely to be on track at 9.30 to 9.40, so you'll need to be in the car ready to go about 10-15 mins before this (I'll explain the track sequence in a following post) or you will miss the first session.

Don't panic if you are running late (or indeed want to turn up late) - you will simply miss the first session.

Track Sessions information:

Just to give you an idea of the routine on the day. In order to keep the turnover of cars high and basically keep the track as busy as possible, Knockhill have a 3-stage process to get you onto track. This is:

1. You will hear the announcement "Will all cars for session 3 proceed to the holding area". At that point you drive down to the holding/scrutineering area. You'll wait here for 10 mins or so and is a good chance to have a final chat and get yourself strapped in and helmets on.

2. Once the session in front is released onto track you will be directed from the holding area into the pit lane where you will queue single-file at the end of the pit lane. At this point you should be fully strapped in and helmets on. They will check you have the appropriate wristbands on.

3. Once the chequered flag drops for the previous session (and you will see all the track lights go to red) the drivers for the previous session will simply file off track, once they are off and the track is clear the lights at the end of the pitlane will go green and we're off!!! Note that if you see the Knockhill "recovery discovery" 4x4 heading out of the pit lane it means they have to drag someone out of the kitty litter so it will be a few more minutes before we go, so watch those temperatures and switch off if needed.

Once we finish the session you simply head back to the paddock and park up in the pen, where you have anything from 20-45 minutes to wait before it all starts again (depending on how many sessions are running and if any recover is needed) - it tends to be quicker in the morning and slow up in the afternoon.

Fuel:

There are no fuel facilities on-site at Knockhill, so please arrive with fuel tanks as full as possible. The closest petrol station (and easiest to find) from Knockhill is in "Crook of Devon", which is about 7 miles/15 mins away. To get there from Knockhill: turn left leaving Knockhill. Follow road to T-junction and turn right - a couple of miles down this road you can't miss it on the left hand side.

On the way to Knockhill: Coming from the west, (Clackmannanshire bridge direction) before you get to the bridge there are services on the M876/A876 just here: https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=petrol+station&hl=en&ll=56.053809,-3.757861&spn=0.003816,0.013078&sll=56.053569,-3.757861&sspn=0.003816,0.013078&hq=petrol+station&t=m&z=17&iwloc=C

This is the last station you will pass before Knockhill and is the one I usually fill at.

Someone else may advise from the east/north.

Is it possible to take fuel into knockhill and store it in your tow vehicle/trailer. In a suitable container of course (have half size 10 litre metal jerry can)

Terry