Darve's Build Diary

darve

You doing well kid :) Clear Silcone in me van if you want it.

Dave - why have you bought the fuel lines up in the engine bay towards the outside of the car?

It gets busy over there by the time the column is through as well as the loom coming through from the scuttle

Build manual shows them close to the Clutch M/C tunnel side of of the m/c

I was thinking the same thing, Dave. There's usually a reason why the routing is the way it is, and sometimes it's not obvious why until later on. You could have fun routing the fuel lines without snagging steering column and master cylinders etc with the former being an IVA fail. While a bit of ad libbing is OK, going 'off piste' from the build manual might be creating a major headache later! Redoing the fuel lines later on would be challenging.

I'll take a photo of that area on mine this afternoon so you can see if it will foul anything or not. The fuel lines might get in the way of filling the brake reservoir but you might be alright

Added to the list :t-up: silicone or something else?

I used tigerseal, but I don't suppose it matters much.

Here's the finished area:

P7020118_s.jpg

If you go along the chassis you might get away with it to be fair. Filling the brake fluid reservoir will be fun. Well more fun than it is normally!

thanks dommo :)

there's loadsa space :)

• 2 weeks later...

this is what happened to my bush jig :( I used copper slip

20120715_213326.jpg

would putting the bushes in the freezer help?

You are a strong boy Darve!

Worth a try, anything that makes life easier in my view, problem is by the time you've jacked them in part way the wishbone may have equalised in temperature.

Bob :(

I do mine in the bench vice, but if i were using the nut and bolt method i'd use a plain nut rather than a nyloc

Nuts and bolts these days are of dubious quality, sometimes the threads do not match even though they are supposed to be a standard metric thread. Had the same problem with my new wheel nuts, snapped a wheelstud last week.

i have a bench press if you want to do them. [makes life a lot easier]

that'd be great pete :t-up:

im waiting on WF to send me the four adjustable bush housing that are used on the mx5 build that were missing from my kit

am i right in thinking your're in the Pitsea area?

will drop you a PM when I've got everything to press em all in at once :t-up:

Pete is in Corringham, but he won't be there from this Thurs to Sunday, were off to Blyton Park.

not a lot of progress of late. been busy with work and have my final accountancy exam on Wednesday so have been studying for that :(

still waiting for the brake master cylinder but have been told this should be with me on Monday. cage and carpets were meant to turn up on Thursday but that has yet to happen.

some pics for you taken today

20120721_205700.jpg

20120721_205723.jpg

20120721_205742.jpg

20120721_205809.jpg

diff cleaned up and painted

20120721_205903.jpg

20120721_205918.jpg

waiting on the diff spacers before it can be installed

and finally, a couple of new additions to the family

20120721_132842.jpg