• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Darve's Build Diary

darve

As far as I know the loom on the Caterham comes up into the dash board area from the rear and goes under the lower dash rail forward - not through the panels.

It's also worthwhile actually putting a bead of silicone or polyurethane adhesive/sealer on before fitting the aluminium panels that way you seal the actual joint, rather than just the edge of the joint.

Well done, though, looking good!

I've done that as well :)

I presume the SDV is much the same as my kit, in which case dont rivet the edge of the scuttle pannel next to the driver's footwell. When you fit the pedal cover it will clamp this edge.

Also don't rivet the front edge of the plate right at front of the chassis (that the battery sits on) as when you fit the bonnet hinge it will clamp it.

Enjoy the drilling.

noted thanks

Before you fit the other inside tunnel panel, its easier if you drill the loom clip bases along the tunnel or you have to be careful not to damage the panel with the drill chuck.

On the outside edge of the floor panels, use countersunk rivets as it will mean the under edge of the side panels doesnt sit on just rivet heads.

Where in Essex are you from?

ermm might be a but late now lol

I'm canvey island

It's all coming back to me.....I'm rather jealous you get to have all this fun! I want to do it again!!!

Before that second tunnel panel goes on, I recommend drilling the 2 front holes for the handbrake bracket through the chassis upright. The manual says they are predrilled, but they ain't and it's a pig of a job once the panels are on. See also about using low profile bolts and fit them the other way around for this bit so the nuts don't hit the propshaft.

Mooch - I'm afraid the panel had been riveted on by the time I saw your post :( will have to struggle now

Am I mad for wanting to paint the ali panels? to make a nice tidy job and add some protection. would you mark up the ali to give good adhesion? guessing a spray can would give the best looking finish?

TBH if i was building mine again i'd have run the loom through the top corners of the footwell panel rather than where westfield suggest through the scuttle. It's a real PITA when working on the car not being able to take the scuttle off because of the loom going through it. Plus it would make for a more tidy engine bay as then all the wiring is hidden low down in the car below the chassis rails rather than on full show above them.

I'd also recommend looking into this. I wish the scuttle had been easier to remove throughout the later stages of the build!

I'd say don't bother painting the panels. Apart from the panel over the pedal box that carries the battery etc, they are not visible when everything is on, and if you paint the bits where the carpets go and leave the carpets off, you'll end up with all sorts of scuffing in no time at all which would look pants IMHO.

I've seen a few cars where the panels have got some surface rust and would like to add a bit of protection. This may be a little bit OCD as most of them won't be seen :blush:

I run a little test today and bought the following:

20120625_201717-1.jpg

20120625_201730.jpg

After roughing up the surface of the ali with a sanding sponge, I applied a coat of the undercoat:

20120625_190736.jpg

After 30 minutes this was a really durable finish and wouldn't scratch off with a finger nail.

Gave this a light sanding and then applied the black paint:

20120625_201655.jpg

This is quite a brush strokey finish but will hopefully smooth out as it dries :oops:

Could be because I was using this naff looking brush:

20120625_202236.jpg

Thoughts? :t-up:

My thoughts - them taps need a clean :p

I knew some b******* was going to say that :):p

If you're looking for a coloured finish then I'd consider taking the lot to the local powdercoaters to get done.

IIRC the interior panels on Tiggers sprint car are powdercoated

IMG_0056.jpg

It's more for protection than a colour finish. Plus most of the panels are now riveted on :d

I am installing carpet over them so I guess a 100% smooth finish isn't required.

The paint is very thick hence why it is holding the brush stokes.

The tin says not to thin down but would it be OK to do this for a second coat?

Err ok, maybe I'm missing something somewhere but why are you painting them if they're going to eventually be covered by the carpets?

What are you trying to protect them from?

to protect them from potential spray up from the road etc and I'd prefer a matt black finish on the panels in the engine bay