Kugawestie's MX5 SDV Build Thread - Now An Upgrade Thread

KugaWestie

Well the wife got home from the hen do safe and sound, so that gave me the chance to spend a few hours in the garage this afternoon.

First job was to fit a small bracket I made up yesterday to move the position of the throttle cable where it mounts on the side of the inlet manifold. It was too high up which meant the cable was pulling too tight.

SAM_0627.jpg

Then I started the car up and engaged first gear for the first time ever (felt good!!), and worked out where the bite was on the clutch. After establishing how much pedal travel was needed, I fitted the stop bolt behind it, and covered it with a cover saved from the steering rack.

SAM_0629.jpg

Next was the exhaust heat shield

SAM_0630.jpg

After this it was out with the Dremel, firstly to get rid of the horn sign on the Mazda steering wheel which I will be using for IVA

SAM_0631.jpg

Second job with the Dremel was to cut off the handbrake lever plastic cover

SAM_0633.jpg

Whilst the Dremel was out, I trimmed up the drivers footwell cover panel and fitted it

SAM_0634.jpg

The next job was to fit the battery tray and restraint strap

SAM_0635.jpg

finally, I have now completed fixing all the loom, fuel pipes etc in the engine bay.

Quite a productive afternoon, and nice to cross a few things off the list

Tidy looking engine bay - well done

Thanks - I have still got to put on the blue camcover and HT leads, which will finish it off nicely :)

No photo's for this update, but some very pleasing progress tonight in what is certainly my weakest area - wiring :bangshead:

Firstly I fitted some winscreen washer tube from the bottle to the nozzle, and cable tied it on at the nozzle end.

So really I could not put it off any longer, it is time to start wiring up the dashboard, adapting the mazda loom etc.

Tonight after a few trial and error attempts and multimeter work, I have got the windscreen washer pump working correctly and wired into its new switch. I have also got the windscreen wiper motor all working correctly and wired into its new switch. This is a real result for me :)

Well done Gary. Take it slowly, do a bit at a time and give up when you are tired!!

• Like 1

Well done Gary. Take it slowly, do a bit at a time and give up when you are tired!!

Thanks - It is silly how excited I got when I heard the sound of the washer motor and saw the wiper motor work :blues:

:laugh: I know the feeling, done the same myself recently!

Ah but how many of us have tested the operation of the washer pump before fitting the windscreen and sprayed ourselves directly in the face :oops::d:bangshead::d

I was convinced I'd do something like that, managed to keep it pointing away from me though :d

I have not put any water in the bottle yet :oops:

Why didn't I think of that :d :d :d

Gary, the wiring is a biiitch of a job, but you've done the worst part, cutting and placing the loom. Marks document showing the gauge wiring makes life a lot easier now. By the way, how close are your gearstick and handbrake when the car is in 2nd gear? Mine were uncomfortably close so I ended up shortening the handbrake lever

Why didn't I think of that :d :d :d

The intrigue got to me, so I put a bit of water in the bottle this morning and gave it a blast. The washers work fine and I stayed dry :p

Are the direction of the jets adjustable? As mine are hitting the screen fillet, not the screen ???

If theyre like all the others I've ever worked on, then all you do is stick a thin needle or straight pin into the jet and push it into the desired position.

Gary, the wiring is a biiitch of a job, but you've done the worst part, cutting and placing the loom. Marks document showing the gauge wiring makes life a lot easier now. By the way, how close are your gearstick and handbrake when the car is in 2nd gear? Mine were uncomfortably close so I ended up shortening the handbrake lever

Yes, Marks document is helping no end.

My handbrake lever and second gear position seem to be ok