Kugawestie's MX5 SDV Build Thread - Now An Upgrade Thread

KugaWestie

Looking excellent Gary :cool: :cool:

Thanks matey - I am trying my hardest ;)

Tonight I was excited :p

I ordered the windscreen on 30th November, and it finally got delivered today, man that was a long wait.

I could not wait to get home and get on with it.

I made up a timber spacer bar to get the angle of the dangle right, and so far I have got the mirrors on, screen in position, and the first hole drilled through the scuttle.

Looking forward to carrying on tomorrow :t-up:

SAM_0531.jpg

SAM_0532.jpg

SAM_0533.jpg

On the downside - the screens I picked up second hand have got the hinges at different centres to the pillars, not sure why :oops: . I guess this means I am going to have to relocate one of the hinges to suit the pillars, which means some redundant holes to fill up on the screens :cry:

I carried on today with the windscreen. It is now all fixed in position

Then I tackled the wiper motor assembly, which is now all installed

I have still got to seal the windscreen and sort the fillet out

SAM_0534.jpg

SAM_0536.jpg

SAM_0537.jpg

SAM_0538.jpg

Bit more progress today - seemed like a lot of time for not much to show, but all good jobs.

First, I completed the windscreen

SAM_0539.jpg

SAM_0540.jpg

Then I fitted the interior panels to both sides. Whilst I was doing this, Wifey decided it was and ideal opprtunity for an IVA/DVLA photo - not my finest moment :blush::arse:

SAM_0543.jpg

SAM_0544.jpg

SAM_0545.jpg

SAM_0546.jpg

Next job was to finalise the fixing positions for the scuttle, which is all ready for final fitting now, But I need to pick up another tube of silicone.

Finally, whilst I had the scuttle off drilling fixing holes, I redrilled the top mounting bracket for the steering column, which moved the position of the wheel about 15mm towards the centre of the car, which has given a much more central and comfy position. Before it was a bit too far towards the outside of the car.

I am glad I did not cover the dashboard now, as I will need to open up the hole for the column to suit the new position.

Next job was to finalise the fixing positions for the scuttle, which is all ready for final fitting now, But I need to pick up another tube of silicone.

IMO I wouldn't put silicone between the mating surfaces of the scuttle and the tub. Been there and then it took hours to separate the two at a later date :bangshead:

Bolt the scuttle down and then seal the sides and the front with a fillet of silicone then smooth it off with a damp finger :oops: that will make everything water proof and then should you need to take the scuttle off again later you can do so by running a sharp knife throught the thin face bead.

IMO I wouldn't put silicone between the mating surfaces of the scuttle and the tub. Been there and then it took hours to separate the two at a later date :bangshead:

Bolt the scuttle down and then seal the sides and the front with a fillet of silicone then smooth it off with a damp finger :oops: that will make everything water proof and then should you need to take the scuttle off again later you can do so by running a sharp knife throught the thin face bead.

Agree with mark here :)

:d never underestimate the power of Silicon to join two pieces of grp!

Ok thanks - I did wonder!

:d never underestimate the power of Silicon to join two pieces of grp!

I know - it can disguise itself well as a good glue

I still need to buy another tube after unloading what I had in stock on the windscreen joint

Spot on

Took me about 3 hours to get mine apart and then about 2 hours cleaning the scuttle and Tub of silicone

And there's at least one owner I know of that destroyed a scuttle trying to sepperate a siliconed joint.

Good job I had not got any - lucky escape, the wisdom of you all strikes again ???

FWIW, cause I wanted a little more of a seal than I'd had previously on my scuttle. (only ever did the under-bonnet joint when I was aeroscreened). I did pretty much as Smokey said on the side joins to the tub, just applying a tiny bead to the already assembled joint and smoothing over with a wet fingertip to take out any excess. The under bonnet join to the aluminium was a little trickier, because of obstructions I can put a bead on after assembly. So I did put a very narrow bead under the joint before assembling it. Having done it that way before though, I know it will come apart OK when the need arises! (hurriedly touches wood etc :p)

Keep up the good work (and progress!)... nice to see there's light at the end of this wiring tunnel :d

FWIW, mine has some flat rubber strips with an edging bead sandwiched between the scuttle and the tub that seems to work just fine without being a permanent bond.