Kugawestie's MX5 SDV Build Thread - Now An Upgrade Thread

KugaWestie

That looks very neat, Mark. I found I was restricted by the length of the existing wires which really dictated where I could mount the various boxes. To get the relays and fuse box so close you must have extended parts of the loom to accommodate. I know you rebuilt the rear loom, did you do the same for the forward looms too?

From memory there was a lot of juggling to get things where I wanted but no I didn't have to extend any wires, I only shortened.

Back in the garage tonight, and have now pretty much got the main loom tidied up in the scuttle area, I now need to fix the secondary fuse box and relays, as my original positions I thought of are not quite right and not leaving enough slack on the cables. Next will be the dash loom

I then got out the front tunnel section and after some trimming, got the gear lever hole cut. I also had to trim down the complete length of one side as it was too wide. I have not fixed this down yet - the beer was calling me :p

Not sure what the two holes are needed for in it - as it appears that I dont have any cables to put through it :oops:

SAM_0461.jpg

Kuga, when you go to mount the fuse box, think about how easy it will be to access in the future, when you have a dashboard & steering wheel in place if you need to change a fuse. Mine is in a similar position to Mooch's and I recently needed to change a fuse. It took me about 20 mins on my back with my body contorted into shapes a human body wasn't designed to make! complete with a head torch strapped on. I'm going to have a look at moving my fusebox to my tunnel top under the dash and making a 3 sided blanking panel to box it in, to make future fuse changes a lot easier.

Kuga, when you go to mount the fuse box, think about how easy it will be to access in the future, when you have a dashboard & steering wheel in place if you need to change a fuse. Mine is in a similar position to Mooch's and I recently needed to change a fuse. It took me about 20 mins on my back with my body contorted into shapes a human body wasn't designed to make! complete with a head torch strapped on. I'm going to have a look at moving my fusebox to my tunnel top under the dash and making a 3 sided blanking panel to box it in, to make future fuse changes a lot easier.

That is partly the reason I have not fixed them yet - I dont fancy the contortionist act too much, I am conscious that I want the fuses facing in somehow. At present my thoughts are to mount it on the top of the tunnel facing in towards the drivers leg area. The cables are not as long as I would have liked to make it easily accesible, so I am a bit limited position wise

Best part of a full day in the garage today, so some progress.

First I could not resist having a look at the fit of the uncovered dashboard :d

SAM_0464.jpg

Then I fitted the tunnel top front paneI.

Next I fixed the second fuse box and relays in their final position.

SAM_0466.jpg

I decided it is now time to start fitting the bodywork, So I got the bonnet and nose cone out to get some alignment of it all.

SAM_0469.jpg

SAM_0470.jpg

After lots of looking, pacing up and down, looking, puffing and blowing, I made a cardboard template up and then cut out the exhaust pipe hole in the tub

SAM_0471.jpg

The eagle eyed amongst you may have noticed that I have got the car up off the ground. This was for two reasons, to make the exhaust cut out a bit easier, but mainly to allow me to lay on my back and remove the leaking sump. This is now off the car, and I have decided it will be best to start again with the spare sump I have, so this is now on my "job to get done" list.

So I guess my next job is to start fixing the body.

Thats a great position for the fusebox and exactly what i have in mind for moving mine. It just needs a nice little removeable blanking panel to box it in when your trimming the interior. Good work.

Done a bit today, in amongst other jobs I had to do.

Spent some getting the bodywork all lined up, and then fixed it in the engine bay and at the roll bar mounting.

SAM_0477.jpg

SAM_0478.jpg

SAM_0476.jpg

I have got the bottom clamped in position at the rear, but could not get the lazy tong riveter under the car as it is too long. Need to borrow a smaller hand breaking riveter to do all the bottom of the car.

After trying to work out how to clamp the nosecone to the position, I gave up and put a post up in the Techie section for some advice. After the solution was posted :t-up: I then clamped up the nosecone and bonnet in the kitchen :oops: , and drilled out the holes for the rubber gromets and locating pins.

SAM_0475.jpg

Its all back on the car now, and the nosecone is next to be fixed.

I also managed to have a tidy up in the garden and get rid of the tarpaulin where the bodywork had been stored

Sorry to hijack Kuga, but we're just in the process of tidying up some wiring while we remove the windscreen/wipers and fitting an aeroscreen.

We fitted this part when we built the car but couldn't work out what it is or if it's needed.

Anybody have an idea what the pictured thingy is? Do we need it?

IMAG0213.jpg

Hi, Mike,

It's a heat sink thingy for the pop up headlights I believe. You can safely discard it. I did, and it all still works!

Mike

Excellent, should be useful to Kuga too, as he's working in this area.

I dont recognise it and cannot recall seeing it

Oh well, maybe it's of no use to you? Was your donor a pop up headlight model?

Yes it had pop ups, I have stripped it all out, just dont recall seeing that mounting bracket, maybe it had already been taken off the loom before I got it