Smokey’s Narrow rebuild

Mark (smokey mow)

Unusual choice of wheels Mark,  looks like your car will definitely be a customised jobbie or "user suited" as they say.  I see the seat gone  in ok, just.

Loving it mate, a unique car full of character and built with great care and attention.  Can't wait to see it finished...maybe Stoneleigh?

Thread jack: Cleggy, please tell me you havent given up on the Porsche?

looking good chap - I have seen some good looking steel wheels about and they look pretty good to me  :t-up:

how are you going to strengthen the back where the cut is and prevent it from cracking?

Thanks Cleggy :t-up: There's no plan to do anything to strengthen the back or hide the join.  

Since it's being built as a track car I wan't to make the tub removable easily should I need to get to any parts or repair anything so I'll be keeping it as two parts.  The plan at the moment is to glass on an overlapping flange to one of the halfs so I can then secure them together with dzus panel fasteners.

Unusual choice of wheels Mark,  looks like your car will definitely be a customised jobbie or "user suited" as they say.  I see the seat gone  in ok, just.

One of the reasons for going with the Wellers in the choice of widths avaiable as they do from 5-1/2" right up to 10" wide.  They're also not as heavy as you may think, and are comparable to alloys.  It was a picture I saw of the Westfield SP that inspired the unusual wheel choice.  

For those that aren't familiar with the SP it was a low cost no frills and totally stripped out SE from the early 90's that was aimed at the budget market.  I was so spartan it sat on steel wheels and had only two gauges on the dash :oops:

The seat just about fit's but it's definately a squeeze, There's no room for interior panels and I'm going to need to put a buldge in the side of the transmission tunnel to accomodate the front of the seat but that's not too bad compared with the rest of the car :D

looking good chap - I have seen some good looking steel wheels about and they look pretty good to me  :t-up:

how are you going to strengthen the back where the cut is and prevent it from cracking?

A big sticker would do nicely  :D

A big sticker would do nicely  :D

Be sure to send me a few with the injectors :t-up::t-up:

Like the Wellers - proper function over form and reminds me of the 106 Rallye's  :cool:  :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

In the tradition of all good build threads (and some of the dodgy ones too :D) it's about time this one featured some welding.  I'm the first to admit that I can't weld, or more so haven't welded since I completed my engineering apprenticeship 15 years back, but I don't like to disapoint my readers so in true fashion I have taken the plunge and picked up a nice compact mig welder in the pre-chirstmas sales at my local ye-olde hardware store. :oops:

I doubt Corus shares will enjoy quite the same buoyance as when Cleggy was hanging girders of the spyder :D but I hope to re-learn any skills I once lost and maybe some new ones along the way.  Fear not that I wont be tackling anything even remotely structural or safety critical, I'll still be calling in favours for that as I don't have that much faith in my own abilities, but I'm doing the fun jobs of making up brackets, and plugging all the hundreds of rivet holes in the chassis tubes :oops:

I expect over the next few weeks I'll be blowing big holes in bits of metal till I learn :D and will be sticking together anything and everything I can find to hand.

I'm sure many photos will follow  :durr:

Oh the joys of learning to weld - when you cannot see what you are doing!

Its been 15 years since I last did any, you do get a sense of satisfaction when you join two bits of metal, smack them as hard as you can with a heavy hammer to test the weld and they stay together  :D

Had a go at Mig welding years a go, useless I was, just can't keep my hand steady, had to get a Man in.  Nuts and Bolts I'm a wizz but the delicate touch of welding and paintwork, I am not.

Having spent most of yesterday blowing holes through anything made of steel, I eventually re-learnt my rather limited and lost welding skills and moved on to attacking chassis :oops:

Quite a productive afternoon was spent plugging un-needed rivet holes in the tubes, And there's lots of them!!!  As you can see I'm still learning :D

Photo0113.jpg  

A quick tickle with the angle grinder though had them smoothed off  :p

Photo0117.jpg

And then a dusting of paint to keep away the rust :p

Photo0115.jpg

Also picked up a couple more parts needed for when the build starts properly.  Firstly a shiny new dashboard from carbon mods :cool:

DSC_0217.jpg

And then a quick drive across the county to collect a braced roll bar :t-up:  Maybe some of the speed of it's former tangerine steed will be inherited by my narrow.

DSC_0213.jpg

Since it's being built as a track car I wan't to make the tub removable easily should I need to get to any parts or repair anything so I'll be keeping it as two parts.  The plan at the moment is to glass on an overlapping flange to one of the halfs so I can then secure them together with dzus panel fasteners.

As an alternative, why not pop rivet an ali strip behind?

Its good to see you having a go and I look forward to seeing the finished car. What sort of engine output are you hoping for?

As an alternative, why not pop rivet an ali strip behind?

Its good to see you having a go and I look forward to seeing the finished car. What sort of engine output are you hoping for?

I'd also thought about the ally strip option and I think Garry did something similar with his.  I aim to be starting the fibreglass between Chrsitmas and the New Year so I'll see how I go, but I may well opt for the easier option :D

The engine is a 1600 straight from a Ma5da/Max5 championship car which till the demise of it's donor was making 128bhp.  I'm not planning any changes from that and it should be plenty enough to begin with for the trackdays the car is being built for.  :t-up: I'll be keeping it on the stock inlet manifold and mazda ecu for cost and reliability.

That welding looks good to me Mark!

Thanks Gary :) I'm confident I can do much better than that with more practice so I don't have so much grinding to do after :oops: