Smokey’s Narrow rebuild

Mark (smokey mow)

Nice shiny panels :cool:

tidy :yes:

Thanks fella's :t-up: I'm glad to finally be making progress and building as opposed to repairing.

Not much done today but I did manage to get a couple of hours in first thing this morning to begin fitting the floor panels.

To make my life easier I'm punching the rivet holes in the panels rather than drilling. It gives a much cleaner hole but also is a lot quicker too. The tool for the job is this picked up via ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370568869845

DSC_0353.jpg

The first panel took me about half hour to do with all the marking and checking of hole positions as they all needed to line up with the holes already in the chassis. by the time I'd got the the 4th panel it was only taking about 15 minutes to mark and punch.

Currently held in place with rivet clamps

DSC_0351.jpg

Looks a handy tool. Is it easy to use accurately and line up?

Looks a handy tool. Is it easy to use accurately and line up?

Very easy to use, it's got an adjustable stop on it so once you've set the distance from the edge of the sheet for the first hole it's then ensures that are all the other the exact same distance.

cool

May need to add to my tool collection

David

Today I mostly spent rivetting the floor panels in place :bangshead: I'm so glad I bought a lazy tong riveter, it's not the most fun I've had :d

DSC_0378.jpg

With the floor in place, I can then look at the seat mounting. I'm doing this before fitting the back panel so I can mark exactly where to drill the mounting holes in the floor, with my lofty height I need to get the seat back as far as I can, but it's not made easy as the race seat is somewhat tight when fitted in a narrow.

DSC_0390.jpg

The following pictures show exactly how tight the front of the seat is in the chassis, and why I've had to panel the tunnel on the wrong side :oops:

DSC_0393.jpg

DSC_0391.jpg

DSC_0395.jpg

In the week I'd also been having a look at the handbrake. As it's a track car I'm trying to keep everything a simple as possible so didn't really want to be having a gaitor around the handbrake as that would make it a bit more troublesome for removing the tunnel top panel. I however also wasn't too keen on a bare painted lever either, so I opted to make a half gaitor :oops:

First off I found a scrap offcut of hooding vinyl and sketched round the lever with tailors chalk.

DSC_0369.jpg

It was then folded in half and stiched, with a hem put on the button end to give a neat edge and then turned the right way out, which took longer than the sewing :d A trial fit on the handbrake, and a couple of small tweeks were made to tighten up the seams in a couple of places.

DSC_0370.jpg

Painted and finished :cool:

DSC_0384.jpg

Looking good Mark

:t-up:

I sooo cant wait to get back started on mine......

Thanks Chris :t-up:

What's the hold up? your progress is looking good so far from the photos :cool:

Good work Mark - didn't realise thestandard Westy seat was that tight! No wonder they went wide!

Why not just ditch the handbrake and leave it in gear, no racing car I've seen has one - think of all the extra weight.

Good work Mark - didn't realise thestandard Westy seat was that tight! No wonder they went wide!

Why not just ditch the handbrake and leave it in gear, no racing car I've seen has one - think of all the extra weight.

Thanks mate :t-up:

I'm yet to decide if I'm going to put the car through IVA when it's completed so I'm building to ensure it will comply if I do, hence the handbrake.

Nice work on the gaiter, trim is the latest thing I've tried working on and am really enjoying it. Though the actual sewing bit is sadly beyond me :laugh:

Nice work on the gaiter, trim is the latest thing I've tried working on and am really enjoying it. Though the actual sewing bit is sadly beyond me :laugh:

Sewing's easy, it's just like driving :oops: you steer with your hands and control the speed with your right foot :d :d