Smokey’s Narrow rebuild

Mark (smokey mow)

Just to throw into the mix! There's also some variation in stiffness of the rubber section, the Westfield supplied engine mount bobbins when I bought mine, were comparatively soft and allow a rather alarming degree of engine movement. I ended up replacing them with a set of much stiffer mounts from SBD. I've got a feeling the stiffer mounts may have been Transit?

• Like 1

Just to throw into the mix! There's also some variation in stiffness of the rubber section, the Westfield supplied engine mount bobbins when I bought mine, were comparatively soft and allow a rather alarming degree of engine movement. I ended up replacing them with a set of much stiffer mounts from SBD. I've got a feeling the stiffer mounts may have been Transit?

Thanks Gadget, I'll look into it :t-up:

make some solid nylon ones mark

make some solid nylon ones mark

Numptie Question Pete, would you then just drill a clearance hole through the centre and drop a bolt through with a nyloc on the end or are you suggesting putting 2 independant studs in as with the rubber mounts?

i just clearance drilled them and fitted a long allen key bolt from below

Interesting, how do you go for vibration? And is the car track only now?

Presumably if it's near solid mounted on nylon, you could also tie the engine into the chassis Sport 2000S style.

i just clearance drilled them and fitted a long allen key bolt from below

Thanks mate, that could be the way to go and I can then probably do the same for the gearbox too.

you do get some extra vibs but nothing to worry about.used for sprinting but still road legal and used on road for testing :t-up:

• 2 weeks later...

Not much done the last couple of weeks but I have today made a small metal folder for bending up some small brackets to hold down the ecu.

First I raided the scrap bin for a short length of 1" steel angle that was then duely chopped down to size into 2 unequal lengths.

Photo0124.jpg

Next up I marked the postions for a pair of heavy duty steel hinges

Photo0127.jpg

The short angle was transfer drilled through into the long angle and secured with a couple of M8 bolts

Photo0128.jpg

Finally a length of 3/4" angle was bolted to the other half of the hinges. I used 3/4" angle so it could be clamped in a vice by the bottom edge of the flange of the 1" angle.

Photo0129.jpg

I thought about fitting a handle too, but in the end decided an adjustable spanner would work equally well :d

Photo0137.jpg

Quick trial fold, and all looks good to me :cool:

Photo0135.jpg

And for those that missed the video, this is what else I've been doing today :d I've got a very small oil leak on the gearbox input shaft that needs fixing.

• Like 1

1 hour 37 minutes? Not as impressive as the man in your vid who did it in 1 minute 57 seconds! Must have been wired on something to move that fast! :laugh:

1 hour 37 minutes? Not as impressive as the man in your vid who did it in 1 minute 57 seconds! Must have been wired on something to move that fast! :laugh:

LOL - it needs you to do some of your video mastery and run a music track in with it - how about scatman?

LOL - it needs you to do some of your video mastery and run a music track in with it - how about scatman?

I did think it was a bit Benny Hill esque :d

I did think it was a bit Benny Hill esque :d

Did I miss the scantily clad blondes?

lol nice one