• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Breaking my car

adamnreeves

I don't think Adam is any stranger than the rest of us.

We're all strange in different ways...lol   :D  :D

I think what Fraser is alluding to is the fact that it's a very big task to get a car that excels in all disciplines.

Perhaps what you need to figure out for yourself is in what specific arena do you want your car to excel?

I suspect your answer will be that you want the car to be as capable as possible in as many different disciplines as possible.

As long as you're realistic in that the more focused you become in one particular direction you become the likelihood is that the changes may be detrimental in other disciplines, then picky your compromises and off you go....

ie if You want an 11sec Westie it may be difficult to achieve that whilst maintaining a good handling/ride balance for the road or track, and similarly the best track setup will also compromise the ride quality for the road, and give traction issues on the quarter etc etc

It does make for interesting discussion on what compromises to look at....

Surely one of the beauties of any kit car is that you can tailor it to your own particular needs/desires are?

The best bit of this forum is that people are willing to pass on what has worked for them, and generally what constitutes a good setup.

From briefly looking at where your car seems to be, my own plan of attack would firstly be to address the exhaust situation to enable you to get to the desired ride height, then fettle the suspension and geometry to get the car handling and steering how you want at the ride height you want, and perhaps in the process shed a little weight in the process.(I do  have a friend who can build bespoke Ti and carbon exhausts tho'....)  :p  :D

As far as the drag strip  and /or the track days go, as Nikpro points out there is absolutely no substitute for track time, and more time behind the wheel will help you focus on the changes that you really want to make....

Just my 10p worth, feel free to tell me to feck off and mind my own business... :laugh:  :laugh:

Agreed. However I do want want a car that is good at both but not excel at either. At least for the moment this is what I want until I get a feel for what I enjoy the most and having only done one track day and one session at the POD I am not sure yet.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• adamnreeves

• echoz

• nikpro

• Cleggy the Spyder Man

What we all sometime forget in trying to make the car faster / better / lighter is "enjoyment".

Loosing 18kg may make it 0.1s faster on the 1/4 mile, but would it make it more enjoyable?   ;)

Have to agree with the gearbox issue re better ratios, this will have a big impact on the general accelleration of the car assuming that the T5 has a longer 1st gear ratio ??? and if you can save 17-18kg's in the process then Bob's your Dad's brother!

P.S. Adam i wouldn't get too wound up by nikpro's comments, he's from the SteveD charm school   :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  ;)  :devil:

build the car you want Adam - like most of us you will no doubt pick and chose the advise you want and do what you think is sensible within money and time spent constraints you no doubt have -

I doubt if anyone has built a kit in these forums and then never altered it as there requirements or wants change

I can see where you are going with it - clearly you like the V8 heart of the machine and want to work around what you have - at the end of the day you sound like you like to modify and alter - and why not it is your money and your hobby

you do know it is much cheaper to go and buy a copy of gran tourismo don't you  :laugh:  ;) you can tinker as you much as you like in there and it dont cost you nowt nor will plonkas in here be able to patronise you for doing it the "Adam way"

Good on yer - keep sharing your thoughts, ignore the downers in here, some do it just for the sake of it, some follow the heard and some have a point but perhaps don't put it over in quite the way you would like to hear

muchas respect for sticking to yer guns and coming back to the forums  :t-up:

build the car you want Adam - like most of us you will no doubt pick and chose the advise you want and do what you think is sensible within money and time spent constraints you no doubt have -

I doubt if anyone has built a kit in these forums and then never altered it as there requirements or wants change

I can see where you are going with it - clearly you like the V8 heart of the machine and want to work around what you have - at the end of the day you sound like you like to modify and alter - and why not it is your money and your hobby

you do know it is much cheaper to go and buy a copy of gran tourismo don't you  :laugh:  ;) you can tinker as you much as you like in there and it dont cost you nowt nor will plonkas in here be able to patronise you for doing it the "Adam way"

Good on yer - keep sharing your thoughts, ignore the downers in here, some do it just for the sake of it, some follow the heard and some have a point but perhaps don't put it over in quite the way you would like to hear

muchas respect for sticking to yer guns and coming back to the forums  :t-up:

Well said Cleggy, I agree whole heartedly.

Some of us get pleasure for planning amd executing the upgrades to our cars, it is opart of the pleasure of owning what is when all is said and done a kitcar.

Adam: as far as I am concerned, you do what you want with your car. I wouldn't presume to suggest you are wrong. Good luck and enjoy.

My current car is track focused but road legal, I no longer drive it on the road as it scares me sh*tless :)

Never mind all that, who want's to crawl under my car and look at why my brake lights have stopped working  :D

Never mind all that, who want's to crawl under my car and look at why my brake lights have stopped working  :D

No need to crawl under it. It's the pressure activated brake light switch. It's broke. Fit a mechanical microswitch to the pedal area like many of us have done and you'll never have to worry about it again. Destructions are in the archives... ;)

What we all sometime forget in trying to make the car faster / better / lighter is "enjoyment".

Loosing 18kg may make it 0.1s faster on the 1/4 mile, but would it make it more enjoyable?   ;)

The items removed or changed to lose the weight make no difference to comfort for me, in fact I think the lighter seats fit my bod much better.  :D

My current car is track focused but road legal, I no longer drive it on the road as it scares me sh*tless :)

You wuss  :D  :laugh:

Have to agree with the gearbox issue re better ratios, this will have a big impact on the general accelleration of the car assuming that the T5 has a longer 1st gear ratio ??? and if you can save 17-18kg's in the process then Bob's your Dad's brother!

P.S. Adam i wouldn't get too wound up by nikpro's comments, he's from the SteveD charm school   :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  ;)  :devil:

I launched off in 2nd gear on my R380. Looks like 1st in the T5 is close to the ratio of 2nd gear on the R380. I crossed the line in 4th at 118mph. Looks like I would have to cross the line in 4th in the T5 as well. So the R380 changes are 2 to 3, 3 to 4, two changes. Change on the T5 would be 1 to 2, 2 to 3, 3 to 4, three changes. So it looks like maybe the T5 is lighter but not necessarily better on the number of gear changes.

Beer anyone? :)

I read that and thought..."Great idea..."  :D  :D

Kitchen fridge was empty of beer, so wandered out to beer fridge...also empy.....in a cold sweat I ventured into the garage to check how many boxes of beer we had left to find the garage stash empty too.....Scheisse!

There appears to be a goodly supply of dog food, horse feed supplements, and fruit juice.....

Clearly the current Mrs L's capabilities as quartermaster are skewed in favour of the non-contributing members of the household... Kids and animals...Sheesh... :bangshead:  :bangshead:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Luckily there appears to be  reasonable stash of wine in the dining room, so a nice Chianti will have to suffice in helping enable keyboard warrior skills...... :laugh:  :D

Now..... about that stickyback plastic Adam..... :p  :p  ;)