• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Breaking my car

adamnreeves

You seem to be sitting very low in that picture. We can only see your head. Do your legs go under the car?

:D  :D

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• adamnreeves

• echoz

• nikpro

• Cleggy the Spyder Man

Adam, are your floors/tunnel panels carbon or covered ali. My friend Jason is interested in removing his carpets, but he is quite fussy about what it looks like and i recon yours would be the look he wants.

The only bit of carbon in the interior is the dash. The rest is 3M Di-noc carbon fibre effect vinyl. Covering all the panels takes a long time as you have to make templates go between the chassis members and rivets! Of course the this is best done when building the car as covering the panels when off is easy just stick on then cut the overhang off with a stanley knife from the reverse side. I did this with the tunnel top and I used a leather hole punch to cut the holes out for the screws.  I think someone on here was selling Di-noc. I bought mine off ebay costs £29.99 for 60x120cm, p&p free.

I've been going down this road for a while now Adam and I'm finding it hard to think of what to loose weight on next.

It's a very expensive route as you can imagine.

I was once told that even if it sounds insinificant, every little counts, bit like Tesco's :D

In the pic above, I notice you still have rubber trim around the dash and Aero, you may want to think about losing that, rubber is heavy  :t-up:

Looking very cool though and love the floor :D

Tiggs

Yes, all those odd kilos and grammes add up. Law of diminishing returns definitely applies though I think. Reducing sprung weight is a lot cheaper than reducing unsprung weight. I guess you're at this stage. i.e. changing calipers, hubs, uprights, dampers, etc. Yes, rubber is heavy. Although for now I am leaving the rubber around the dash because its sandwiched carbon fibre with a foam filler and I think water ingress could pose a problem. The aeroscreen is very thin and without the rubber would be a very effective de-scalping tool  :D  :D

[

Yes, all those odd kilos and grammes add up. Law of diminishing returns definitely applies though I think. Reducing sprung weight is a lot cheaper than reducing unsprung weight. I guess you're at this stage. i.e. changing calipers, hubs, uprights, dampers, etc. Yes, rubber is heavy. Although for now I am leaving the rubber around the dash because its sandwiched carbon fibre with a foam filler and I think water ingress could pose a problem. The aeroscreen is very thin and without the rubber would be a very effective de-scalping tool  <!--emo&:D  :D

So why have you covered all the ali panels in sticky back plastic  ???

Probably the simplest method of weight reduction (not including driver) is to grind all the excess length of bolts - (remember how much that bolt pack weighs when you first started building the kit!)

Are you changing the exhaust Adam?

Will 18kgs make that much difference on the  DragStip? - I doubt it since the last time was your first attempt more practice may make a bigger difference.

You seem to be sitting very low in that picture. We can only see your head. Do your legs go under the car?

Your not keeping up! :oops:  :oops:

Haven't you heard, Adams had is body removed to lose 50 Kilo! :p  :p  :devil:  :devil:

[

Yes, all those odd kilos and grammes add up. Law of diminishing returns definitely applies though I think. Reducing sprung weight is a lot cheaper than reducing unsprung weight. I guess you're at this stage. i.e. changing calipers, hubs, uprights, dampers, etc. Yes, rubber is heavy. Although for now I am leaving the rubber around the dash because its sandwiched carbon fibre with a foam filler and I think water ingress could pose a problem. The aeroscreen is very thin and without the rubber would be a very effective de-scalping tool  <!--emo&:D  :D

So why have you covered all the ali panels in sticky back plastic  ???

Probably the simplest method of weight reduction (not including driver) is to grind all the excess length of bolts - (remember how much that bolt pack weighs when you first started building the kit!)

Will 18kgs make that much difference on the  DragStip? - I doubt it since the last time was your first attempt more practice may make a bigger difference.

I cannot disagree with you on the stick back plastic other than its vinyl, plastic makes it sound heavier than it is.

18kgs will reduce the time by about 1/10th second but then when you're in the low 12s this can make the difference between a 12.something and an 11.something. Anyway doing no weight reduction will see an increase of 27kg which will add 2/10ths so an overall difference of 3/10ths, worth doing.

Take the V8 out and fit a decent lightweight engine ;)

I love my V8. Out of interest what's the weight of your car ???

I pretty much cut off all my bolts in construction apart from the suspension ones. Thought I'd not mess with those  :D

Changing my exhausts I have considered because not only are they extra weight but they compromise the ride height. But side pipes do compromise performance  :bangshead: However this will form part II of improvements Winter 2011.

Take the V8 out and fit a decent lightweight engine ;)

I love my V8. Out of interest what's the weight of your car ???

Keep the V8 but look for an alternative tranny?

I'm guessing you've got an R380 box fitted?

Both the LT77 and R380 boxes are big heavy lumps.

If yer deadly serious about weight loss but would like to retain the V8 then I reckon an alternative transmission is the way (weigh?  :D ) forward...?

Keep the V8 but look for an alternative tranny?

I'm guessing you've got an R380 box fitted?

Both the LT77 and R380 boxes are big heavy lumps.

If yer deadly serious about weight loss but would like to retain the V8 then I reckon an alternative transmission is the way (weigh?  :D ) forward...?

Can't argue with that.  I can easily lift my T5 + bell housing in and out of the chassis on my own but the LT77 I've got sat in the corner of the garage is a b****r to lift.

Maybe it's time to ditch the injection and fit a carb, that may save a few kg  :D  ;)

Get rid of those fat tail pipes, rear valance, boot lid and boot box too.

Mike  :)

Edit: just checked, looks like you've already lost the boot lid/box.

Did not know the T5 was much lighter than my R380. I know the T5 is much better from gear ratio perspective. Again, this is planned as a possible upgrade some time in the future. Probably combine this with changing the exhausts. In all honesty though I might not ever do it as it requires the re-work of the chassis around the transmission tunnel to fit. Depends how serious I get and my bonus!