• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Breaking my car

adamnreeves

Heavy, yes, really heavy no, you all need to get to the Gym more  :p I picked it up with one hand by the motion shaft when I was moving it around.  :p

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• adamnreeves

• echoz

• nikpro

• Cleggy the Spyder Man

Will 18kgs make that much difference on the  DragStip? - I doubt it since the last time was your first attempt more practice may make a bigger difference.

I agree that practise will probably make the biggest difference by far but saving 18kg should also make a difference.

I'm no expert so I expect to get shot down but 18kg x 1.5 (at least) "G force" would make 30.6kg and that is some weight to move quickly :D:D

That's almost half a small bloke ???

Gearing would made a big difference, as you may be able to cut out a gearchange, and also have a longer first means that you can really lean on it before the revs run out. In the same area something to enable full throttle shifts would be good.

You have a lightish car with plenty of torque, therefore to you need to maximise how much power you can put down. If it is just 1/4 mile drap, then I would personally think you should be looking to move the weight over the rear wheel, and run the rear tyres in an unright prosition.

I agree that practise will probably make the biggest difference by far but saving 18kg should also make a difference.

I'm no expert so I expect to get shot down but 18kg x 1.5 (at least) "G force" would make 30.6kg and that is some weight to move quickly :D:D

That's almost half a small bloke ???

The physics doesn't work that way. The acceleration is dependent on mass and not the weight mostly. The weight and shift of the weight may have an effect on drag, grip and other more complex relationships.

Half the mass, and all other things being equal (which they so wont be) you'll accelerate twice as fast.

Like all things your best bet is to build a car for a specific set of objectives. the wider the set of objectives (like a good all round car) the less good the car is likely to be at a specific subset of those objectives.

Adam - mine came in at 580kg with a full tank of fuel and all fluids i think, or it was 560kg will double check

Top Trumps.......

My V8 weights in at 575kg in ready to sprint trim. Full Cage 8"and 10"wide wheels.

Top Trumps.......

My V8 weights in at 575kg in ready to sprint trim. Full Cage 8"and 10"wide wheels.

Wow but V8s are so heavy  :p  I need to know more ???

Adam,

don't take this the wrong way.........but I feel you are the strangest person i almost know (through your posts)

You built a V8 westfield as a road car and were not long ago talking about adding weight with accusumps etc, then after one trackday and a day at santapod you talk about excessively loosing weight from the vehicle but add Unnecessary weight (vinyl) trim in others.

As said previously you can't make a car that is good on track, good on the road and good on the dragstrip - you can't even make a car that is good on track and on the dragstrip - they are completely different in terms of vehicle requirements.

You don't tell us if you plan on competing in this vehicle so going to extremes is not really necessary if it's just for fun.

Your upgrade path to your goal seems strange and flies in the face of advice given - posters tell you that the gearbox would be the easiest way to improve weight and gear ratio's but you choose to leave that modification untill later and tell everybody that suggests this to go to the gym ???

It's fantastic that everybody is different - that's what makes the world go round - but for the life of me I can't work out what you are trying to acheive with your Westfield?

(I personally think the better path would be to sell your own and build another specifically to what you require - it will be cheaper/easier and better - the only obstacle is i don't think you know what you want!)

Like I said at the beggining - don't take it the wrong way Adam - I love reading your posts and they always inspire replies - whether good, bad/derrogatory  :t-up:

Fraser,

Me strange. I could say the same about you. On one hand you dismiss a weight saving of 18kgs but on the other you question the additional weight of self adhesive vinyl sheet which is only 0.150mm thick  :D:D

I had been advised to get an accusump from several fellow SEiGHTers if I am serious about doing more track days. You say that an accusump is adding extra weight because its not necessary. I'd rather add the extra weight here to ensure my engine does not suffer from oil starvation.

Not sure what I want from the car if I did I would say and it would be focused in that specific area. I want a car that is good on the track and the strip. Are you saying this is not possible ??? Fair enough if you mean it excels at one or the other. Good to me in this respect says that it has comprises which I accept. Otherwise I question what you are saying here.

I've accepted that the transmission can be improved. I know its heavy, about 50kgs versus the T5 which is probably 33kgs. Which is less than 18kgs which you intimated wasn't significant strangely.

The quip about getting getting down the Gym was just a mild P**s take. It seems that I am not allowed to reciprocate in this game ???

I like many others on this forum like to mess about with their car. Its all a learning process and for me that is a key part of kit car ownership.

So no I don't know what I want. Its a voyage of discovery to be savoured. You are fortunate enough to know exactly what you want and can be completely focussed in what you want from your car.

Editted a couple of times because I have a mild disability. I am dyslexic as you previously pointed out  :p

I think its great Adam :) Who cares, like you said it's a kit car, and now uve built it you wanna explore different aspects.

However in favour of Fraser, maybe now youve built it, cained it for 3 months, instead of molesting it (because from all the pictures it looks a great job and solid workmanship) maybe sell it, and build another, to a completely different spec? and repeat until you think hmm now i know which i want and build another one just for what yo uwant :D

Either way, it's your toy and I think you should be able to do what you like with it :)

ps. have you thought of buying some old crappy motor, stripping it, buying a gurt lump and dragging that? focus the westy on track/road use?

.............No Adam,

I haven't dismissed a weight saving of 18kgs anywhere!

What I did say is that after one day at SantaPod I feel bigger improvements would be gained by driver improvent/practice!

It is yourself that posts about loosing weight here there and everywhere then adds weight for no reason whatsoever that I find difficult to comprehend  ???

It is your vehicle to do with as you want and nobody can change that.

I don't think Adam is any stranger than the rest of us.

We're all strange in different ways...lol   :D  :D

I think what Fraser is alluding to is the fact that it's a very big task to get a car that excels in all disciplines.

Perhaps what you need to figure out for yourself is in what specific arena do you want your car to excel?

I suspect your answer will be that you want the car to be as capable as possible in as many different disciplines as possible.

As long as you're realistic in that the more focused you become in one particular direction you become the likelihood is that the changes may be detrimental in other disciplines, then picky your compromises and off you go....

ie if You want an 11sec Westie it may be difficult to achieve that whilst maintaining a good handling/ride balance for the road or track, and similarly the best track setup will also compromise the ride quality for the road, and give traction issues on the quarter etc etc

It does make for interesting discussion on what compromises to look at....

Surely one of the beauties of any kit car is that you can tailor it to your own particular needs/desires are?

The best bit of this forum is that people are willing to pass on what has worked for them, and generally what constitutes a good setup.

From briefly looking at where your car seems to be, my own plan of attack would firstly be to address the exhaust situation to enable you to get to the desired ride height, then fettle the suspension and geometry to get the car handling and steering how you want at the ride height you want, and perhaps in the process shed a little weight in the process.(I do  have a friend who can build bespoke Ti and carbon exhausts tho'....)  :p  :D

As far as the drag strip  and /or the track days go, as Nikpro points out there is absolutely no substitute for track time, and more time behind the wheel will help you focus on the changes that you really want to make....

Just my 10p worth, feel free to tell me to feck off and mind my own business... :laugh:  :laugh:

Will 18kgs make that much difference on the  DragStip? - I doubt it since the last time was your first attempt more practice may make a bigger difference.

This is what you said in the previous post. This is definitely dismissive, no ???

Concerning adding and removing weight, surely the net result is what counts.

On the day I went down the drag strip many times. I started off at something like 13.5 sec, 99mph. I finished up with 12.36sec 118mph. So I made a personal improvement of 1.14sec. My last few attempts were all within 5/100ths of a second and 1mph.

ps. have you thought of buying some old crappy motor, stripping it, buying a gurt lump and dragging that? focus the westy on track/road use?

Yes this thought has crossed my mind. On the return journey home from the POD  :D  :D