• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Breaking my car

adamnreeves

Any idea what its making now Adam?

No not really. Not been on a dyno since the changes. I do have a figure in mind that I have gained through talking to other SEiGHTers with similiar specs and calculations from my runs.

I'd not like to say what I think without concrete proof, its all a bit "pub talk" until then I guess  :D . However one of the experts  :D  at Santa Pod said that the terminal speed at the 1/4mile has a direct relationship to BHP.

Some SEiGHT times here

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• adamnreeves

• echoz

• nikpro

• Cleggy the Spyder Man

Yep seen that site several years ago it did have a good article  about torque v horse power. Out of interest what should my times be doing 124mph over the line?

Yep seen that site several years ago it did have a good article  about torque v horse power. Out of interest what should my times be doing 124mph over the line?

I don't think this is a linear relationship. You can see some overall times be quite different but the terminal speed is very close. 124mph does sound like close on to 500bhp/ton to me though. The other westfield there did something like 123mph and I think is was about 330bhp, about 500bhp/ton I guess. He did something like a 11.7sec

Your right there mate its all about diminishing returns. Aerodynamics kick in big time above 100mph with a Westfield. One day I may get in to the 11s but not at a sprint track I feel. Its more important to me to go round the corners fast than blast from a standing start fast. At the last sprint both a Nobel and a Riot in class managed better 1/4 miles than me the Nobel was crossing the 1/4 at 125ph and 12.01 the Riot was 118 and I think 11.87 to the 1/4 mile.

Adam, getting down from your 12.3 into anything starting with an 11 will be an achievement in itself.

Trust me, ive been here doing it for the last 3 years and taking 1 second chunks off your drag times by changing things doesnt happen.

You simply need more power and a setup that will put it down, or some electronics to aid your own ability! With more power and torque you will then find the limits of the chassis ability to hold onto the diff as well.

Ive got all this and it takes time to perfect it all!

I do share a passion similar to yours though which is to have a good all rounder thats still good for road use.

Your thread kinda reminded me of my build which just got out of control. I could probably have bought a really nice Westy complete for what I have spent on proper carbon fibre alone now!

Will be following this to see where you get.

I am hoping to get something starting with a 9 at some point but its gonna be VERY hard even from where I am today

Stu

Your right there mate its all about diminishing returns. Aerodynamics kick in big time above 100mph with a Westfield. One day I may get in to the 11s but not at a sprint track I feel. Its more important to me to go round the corners fast than blast from a standing start fast. At the last sprint both a Nobel and a Riot in class managed better 1/4 miles than me the Nobel was crossing the 1/4 at 125ph and 12.01 the Riot was 118 and I think 11.87 to the 1/4 mile.

Yes you can hear and feel the difference above 100mph can't you. Agreed going round corners is more exciting.  :D

I bet the noble had a lot more horsepower than the riot with a faster terminal speed and lot more weight.

Adam, getting down from your 12.3 into anything starting with an 11 will be an achievement in itself.

Trust me, ive been here doing it for the last 3 years and taking 1 second chunks off your drag times by changing things doesnt happen.

You simply need more power and a setup that will put it down, or some electronics to aid your own ability! With more power and torque you will then find the limits of the chassis ability to hold onto the diff as well.

Ive got all this and it takes time to perfect it all!

I do share a passion similar to yours though which is to have a good all rounder thats still good for road use.

Your thread kinda reminded me of my build which just got out of control. I could probably have bought a really nice Westy complete for what I have spent on proper carbon fibre alone now!

Will be following this to see where you get.

I am hoping to get something starting with a 9 at some point but its gonna be VERY hard even from where I am today

Stu

Yes Stu. My 1 second improvement was based on a number of factors, tyre pressures, chassis set-up, throttle was only opening about 75%, improved induction. Thinking my launching technique needs honing as well. I have been told that my 60foot time could be improved by 0.5s and this equates to 0.75s at the 1/4mile.

I guess this is like most things. Relatively big improvement at the start and then forever smaller increments and inversely more expensive  :(

So you are doing 10s at the moment?

When did you last have a haircut or cut your toe nails?  :)

Seriously, show us your ngine bay as we need to check that out for potential savings. Plumbing is my favourite weight loss area, especially where there are T pieces joiners with many jubliee clips involved and also long unnecessary water pipe runs

Yes Stu. My 1 second improvement was based on a number of factors, tyre pressures, chassis set-up, throttle was only opening about 75%, improved induction. Thinking my launching technique needs honing as well. I have been told that my 60foot time could be improved by 0.5s and this equates to 0.75s at the 1/4mile.

I guess this is like most things. Relatively big improvement at the start and then forever smaller increments and inversely more expensive  :(

So you are doing 10s at the moment?

Adam, I suppose with all those you should see a decent dent in your times.

I am down to 10.6 so far and consistently around the 10.7 mark. That was with less grippy tyres and a standard Sierra LSD. Car was probably only running about 400 horses as that was with about 1 bar of boost only too. That was on concrete at Elvington too.

So with the wider more grippy 888's on the rear, the plated gripper diff and 2.5 bar of boost hoping to see some better times especially if I run on a decent surface at the pod etc.

Low tens should be doable i reckon and maybe a late 9 by some miracle on full power!

Fairly sure it would do it easy if it was setup purely for drag strip with drag tyres.

Stu