Big girl's blouse

adhawkins

Hi all...

This is probably something that gets asked a lot, but what do people wear on their head while in the Westfield?

I've been mostly driving with the sidescreens on, as I find the buffeting effect without them fairly uncomfortable. Also, I have sensitive eyes, so the wind that comes in through the sides is enough to have them streaming at any speed above about 70 (not that I ever do more than 70 except on track days, officer).

So, what do people wear for headgear? I find it's mainly my ears that it effects...the buffeting of the wind gives me earache after a while if I'm 'making progress'.

Also, how about eye-wear? At the moment I'm wearing bog-standard sunglasses, which are Ok with the side screens on, but without the wind still gets in the sides and aggravates my eyes.

I had kind of considered a leather flying helmet and goggles, but one thing about goggles that puts me off is lack of peripheral vision...is this a problem?

Thanks.

Andy

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• adhawkins

• chrisbin

• Blatman

• neilwillis

Eye wear has been discussed at length in the past............

I use a pair of Oakley Frogskin 2's for the eyes.

During the winter, I always wear ear plugs, and a "wooly" hat made from thinsulate. Thinsulate is, IME, one of the warmest, and best materials for protecting your extremeties from the cold. Your local Blacks camping shop shopuld be able to help with both hats, and suitable gloves too. I've seen some nice thinsulate gloves with an imitation leather/suede palm for use when driving.

Oh, and when I say "my experience", I was a despatch rider for 17 years. I know a little bit about driving about in the cold and wet.......  ;)  ;)

There is no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing. Weather forecasts aren't there to tell you what the weather is going to be like, 'cos they don't know! They exist so that you know what clothes to take with you......... :D  :D  :devil:  :devil:

Eye wear has been discussed at length in the past............

I use a pair of Oakley Frogskin 2's for the eyes.

During the winter, I always wear ear plugs, and a "wooly" hat made from thinsulate. Thinsulate is, IME, one of the warmest, and best materials for protecting your extremeties from the cold. Your local Blacks camping shop shopuld be able to help with both hats, and suitable gloves too. I've seen some nice thinsulate gloves with an imitation leather/suede palm for use when driving.

Hi,

I've got a thinsulate hat (bought at the weekend) however I found that as I was driving the wind was gradually pulling it off my head. I spent the rest of the journey sitting on it :)

Could just have been that I didn't have it fit 'snugly' enough' to my head, so the wind was getting under it?

I'll have a look around for the gloves too...the only thinsulate ones I saw (admittedly at Asda) didn't have anything on the palms / fingers, so they felt quite 'slippy' to use for driving.

What sort of price are we talking for Oakley sunglasses? My purchases in the past have tended to be in the 'under a tenner' range :)

Andy

This head / eyewear issue for me has been solved. I too, like Blatman, always wear Oakley sunnies, I have the ones that wrap around (Frogskins?) and thay do keep out most of the wind. The design of the arms means that they hold on well, and although can be felt to 'lift' off the bridge of the nose at speed they've never felt like coming off.

Incidentally, I use the same ones for shooting and they are exceptionally tough, so flying stones shouldn't be a problem. Pay about £150, look after them and you won't regret it.

The hat problem annoyed me, baseball caps, however tight, will lift at speed and fly off. I tried a Thinsulate black 'bobble hat' without the bobble and although warm, still lifted at speed. Didn't cover the ears either.

My solution is what I can best describe as a Russian Ear Flapped Hat. No peak, leather look and extremely warm as it covers the ears and goes down to the neck at the back. Best of all, it's got a chin strap with velcro fastening so it doesn't move. The Oakleys fit with it perfectly, and a sensible degree of head movement is possible.

Available from Marks & Spencer, £20 I think.

Minghis.

Get yourself down to your local outdoor shop, ie Blacks, YHA, Ellis Brigham, they all do gear to keep you alive in when your in serious **** up a mountain  :0

It also works in Westfields  :cool:

Better still get in your Westy and go for a drive this weekend in the Lake District, Yorkshire Dales, Peak District or Snowdonia, depending on where you live for convenience, of course. There you will find loads of outdoor shops with a mind boggling array of gear, just one thing though, take loads of dosh  :0

I've got a thinsulate hat (bought at the weekend) however I found that as I was driving the wind was gradually pulling it off my head. I spent the rest of the journey sitting on it

Could be down to size and shape of head as much as anything I guess (although very short hair will act like velcro.......). Mine does lift at speeds over 80mph, but I notice it less because the earplugs prevent an icy blast down my lughole. I've never felt like I'm going to lose it, but it's not often that I drive beyond 80mph on the roads anyway...........

As for the sunnies, a £10 pair won't have any sort of impact resistance, and probably don't have good quality lenses, so you damage your eyes by looking through them, and if something hits them........well, I don't even want to think about that. A *good* pair of sunnies is compulsory, IMO.............

Frogskin 2's are wrap around, as are Eye Jacket's and X-Metal's. My last pair of Frogskin 2's were about 80 quid.

I'd also like to try out a pair of Juliets, and a pair of Romeo's (ALL of those are Oakleys), but I'll wait 'til I'm abroad somewhere first...........

Another  :t-up:  for Oakleys - I have a couple of different pairs ("zeros" and "Twenties") and they both serve to keep wind out of my eyes.  And this with an aeroscreen.

I have looked at the following sites to see if some goggles exist which might be useful but haven't tried them yet :

Dirtdive - goggles

Kroop's goggles

Main problem with relying on sunnies is that they tend to be a bit useless at night....

Also, when you're hat shopping, look for one which has ear flaps with drop down and tie up underneath your chin.  I've got one of this type (made by Animal) and it's really good.  You need to make sure it's done up tight to prevent it acting like a parachute but it keeps ears and head nice and toasty.

Also, when you're hat shopping, look for one which has ear flaps with drop down and tie up underneath your chin.  I've got one of this type (made by Animal) and it's really good.  You need to make sure it's done up tight to prevent it acting like a parachute but it keeps ears and head nice and toasty.

I looked at some like that...I'm sure they'd do the job. However, I looked a bit daft :)

I guess I need to make the choice between looking cool (as if I ever do that) and being warm...

As for sunglasses at night, good point, but I don't really drive my Westy in the dark...however, it's something I'll have to bear in mind.

Andy

Another yep for Oakleys - priceless.

>Main problem with relying on sunnies is that they tend to be a bit useless at night....

I've not tried them, just know people who do use them, but apparently one of the Oakley lens types is suitable for night use... just can't remember what it's called, it's the pale yellowey (sp?) one.  Looks a bit 'boyakasha', but no one can see them really at night.

moom.

hi,

i never wear sunnies when driving my car,I prefer oakley goggles(from £30.00 upwards)never had aproblem with them lifting at any speed!!

the other good thing about them is you can change the lenses,so during winter you can use either clear(£4.00)or very dull days use persimmon(£4.00) & in the summer fit your choice of iridium lense(bit more expensive than the other two!!;)

you will also find that when worn with a nice warm westfield beanie everything stays in place :t-up:  :t-up:  :t-up:

will

Another vote for Beanie, (benny?),  style thinsulate hat. Unshiftable in the right size. Closest I ever came to recking my Westy was whilst trying to catch a baseball cap doing flybyes round the cockpit at 70ish mph ;)

Brian