1.6 CVH to 2.0 Zetec S Black top

RobK

I wouold also say about £2k all in including the RR set up. Obviously someone will be along in a second saying £50 max but in truth the fluids and oil came to that.

I thing the Black top needed diferent belts or waterpump or something like that due to the wrong rotation.....but could be dreaming that up. Either way a common fit these days so easily done. Perhaps a look at Race line et all to see what "fitting Kit" they advertise will shed some light on what is needed, then you can price away on ebay vs the new kit if you see what i mean?

All went into my wide and narrow easily enought, but in a narrow with a silver top the oil pump had to be a 1.8 to help with stearing clearences.....or a remote filter as now fitted.

Well worth it, went from 120bhp to about 145bhp and up to 155bhp with correct map and 2l cams in a 1.8 silver top. 35bhp and more tourques for £2K is cheaper than getting it from a CVH i would of thought. + cams and home head work and more mapping has that to 170+bhp, which truely is testing a CVH

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• carpetstu

• RobK

• dhutch

• wizzer

Top Posters In This Topic

To add to this from a slightly different perspective......

3 years ago, I went through the same question...swap CVH for a zetec, or tune CVH.....I ended up going for the tuning option.

I purchased a 2ltr bottom end from ferriday engineering, and have developed it from there...Now has ported head, solid lifters, cvh27 cam, fuel injected with GSXR600 TB's and megasquirt..........

Upshot is I now have a very reliable and very torquey 200bhp motor.......total cost probably ended up being similar to a conversion, but it's a bit different, and produces more bhp and torque than even a mildly tuned zetec.....

Now then, all sounds great, but I put one hell of alot of work into this engine.

If it's any use, here is a pic of the engine and the power graph:

P1010233.jpg

PIC_0011.jpg

Did a conversion from CVH to Zetec about 4 years ago.  Cost around £2700 to end of 45 Weber's, standard cams and a rolling road figure of 175BHP (just porting will help).  Have to change flywheel to 1.8, engine mounts different, alternator different side, exhaust different, waterpump changed to 1.8 as it runs opposite way, management system needed.

Cheapest part was the engine, bought a complete car for £120 as a MOT failure but best way as you could check the car for proper maintenance.  

Would I do it again - NO.  Why not? - Whilst I like upgrades and the job was an easy challenge, it wasn't value for money.  Better to sell the Westy to first time user and buy a better spec car - overall result is more spec for same money, more spec usually comes with suspension benefits which are most important to do, a properly setup CVH will handle far better than a CVH to Zetec conversion with no suspension alteration to suit.

If you go ahead, be prepared to spend far more than you budget, sump upgrade necessary to start off with.

Have to change flywheel to 1.8,

Not true. Westfield told me the same but mine is fine with the 2.0l clutch. The only benefit of the 1.8 is its lighter.

To add to this from a slightly different perspective......

3 years ago, I went through the same question...swap CVH for a zetec, or tune CVH.....I ended up going for the tuning option.

I purchased a 2ltr bottom end from ferriday engineering, and have developed it from there...Now has ported head, solid lifters, cvh27 cam, fuel injected with GSXR600 TB's and megasquirt..........

Upshot is I now have a very reliable and very torquey 200bhp motor.......total cost probably ended up being similar to a conversion, but it's a bit different, and produces more bhp and torque than even a mildly tuned zetec.....

Now then, all sounds great, but I put one hell of alot of work into this engine.

If it's any use, here is a pic of the engine and the power graph:

P1010233.jpg

PIC_0011.jpg

Must admit i have been drooling over this engine of yours for a good few months now  :cool:

My heart would prefer me to stop with CVH, but my brain seems to think the Zetec is the easiest way forward.

Its like these people who post sell the car! They must be treating their Westfield as a car  :D  Mine is a living breathing animal, and my friend  :blush: Its not possible to sell her   :laugh:

Must admit i have been drooling over this engine of yours for a good few months now  cool.gif

My heart would prefer me to stop with CVH, but my brain seems to think the Zetec is the easiest way forward.

Its like these people who post sell the car! They must be treating their Westfield as a car  biggrin.gif Mine is a living breathing animal, and my friend  blush.gifIts not possible to sell her   laugh.gif

I had to admit, i would quite happly have a photo of jenkos engine as a poster on my wall.
- Ive got a 1900 power engineering cvh, its even got the cast rocker cover, but its not a pretty and i doubt it does 200bhp! Maybe 130?

Daniel

I've a set of 45's, trumpets, filter and backplate, webber linkage, inlet manifold and a webber 3D ECU for sale in parts for sale if you are interested.

Would I do it again - NO.  Why not? - Whilst I like upgrades and the job was an easy challenge, it wasn't value for money.  Better to sell the Westy to first time user and buy a better spec car - overall result is more spec for same money, more spec usually comes with suspension benefits which are most important to do, a properly setup CVH will handle far better than a CVH to Zetec conversion with no suspension alteration to suit.

If you go ahead, be prepared to spend far more than you budget, sump upgrade necessary to start off with.

My thoughts exactly.

I hate it when Mr Jenkins puts those piccies of his CVH up on the screen . I too have a CVH and I have gone the tuning route although not the extent he has but Jeez mine doesnt look like that . Not sure I would drive his car  more likely I would sit and stroke the rocker cover and dribble on the silicon hoses.

What about a third option, ZVH?  Zetec block and CVH head, that way the exhaust and inlet manifolds are the same and you get more capacity to boot?  Or fourth option, turbo the CVH?

My BIL has done a number of these conversions for the Fiesta brigade so PM me if you want any more info or Google Fiesta Frenzy or Area Six.  He also knows a bit about turbocharging CVH, ZVH and Zetec engines having built a number of 400+bhp Zetecs for the Fiesta/Focus brigade.

Did a conversion from CVH to Zetec about 4 years ago.  Cost around £2700 to end of 45 Weber's, standard cams and a rolling road figure of 175BHP (just porting will help).  Have to change flywheel to 1.8, engine mounts different, alternator different side, exhaust different, waterpump changed to 1.8 as it runs opposite way, management system needed.

Cheapest part was the engine, bought a complete car for £120 as a MOT failure but best way as you could check the car for proper maintenance.  

I did a conversion from CVH to XE, throwing another option in there ;)

Would I do it again, definitely.

Was it cost efficient, hell no!  :0 I did start adding up the costs but decided to stop soon after, fortunate enough that I didn't have to really worry about cost, within reason.

Was it challenging, interesting and good fun, yes! :)

I very nearly copied Jenko when he started his conversion, we both started around the same time. I can vouch for his engine, his car goes like stink :cool:

Now, if I can get my Westie up to buttercup spec I'll be a very happy man :love:

Here's another chap doing a ZVH with more detailed instructions.  There's also a chap with a Quantum that has done the same conversion.

Linky Fixed