WSCC Trackday Mallory Park

Mark Stanton

WSCC organised Trackday at Mallory Park - Friday 20 August - Details and application form to feature in a future edition of Westfield World  :D

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mark Stanton

• SteveH

• Tom Frankland (T3OMF)

• Hammy

I'll be there, well hope so anyway...  It is a really great day out and the efforts  in organising it are I'm sure well appreciated. Its an ideal Westfield track IMO and a great chance to met up with people outside of your immediate areas. Really good fun.

Mark, I can't recall much about the build up to this last year ; but would it be worth posting the Rules at an early stage, so they have time to settle in peoples minds?  Sticking my head up into the gun fire I think the over taking in and out of the  hairpin got a bit "interesting" last year, in my group anyway.

In the lower groups people need to realise that drivers are not that experienced (i'm not experienced  and do make mistakes) . The problem i saw was:

A. A tendency for drivers to over take on the right coming into the haripin and getting caught up with people turning into the hairpin who were on the racing line on the left.

B. When coming out of the hairpin the "racing" line takes you over to the right to cut across the apex of the next lh bend ( dunno what its called). Some drivers tried to come out of the hairpin on the left hand side of the track and tried to pass those moving over to the right by driving up the inside. This causing a problem as drivers on the correct line moved over left towards the apex. The moving over to the right seemed to some to be an indication that it was ok to overtake.

I'd like to suggest a total ban on overtaking in this area of the track (at least say in the lower groupings A&B ). The less experienced, me included, would not be "expecting" people to over take here (as its not a race!)  and costly mistakes could be made no matter how careful I think I'm being.

I was not alone in suffering with this and it got a bit mad at times in the later sessions

Its a small grumble but I hope you see it as a way of making the day even safer. Its my opinion but I offer it for consideration ( be gentle with me :) )

The problem i saw was:

A. A tendency for drivers to over take on the right coming into the haripin and getting caught up with people turning into the hairpin who were on the racing line on the left.

B. When coming out of the hairpin the "racing" line takes you over to the right to cut across the apex of the next lh bend ( dunno what its called). Some drivers tried to come out of the hairpin on the left hand side of the track and tried to pass those moving over to the right by driving up the inside. This causing a problem as drivers on the correct line moved over left towards the apex. The moving over to the right seemed to some to be an indication that it was ok to overtake.

I'd like to suggest a total ban on overtaking in this area of the track (at least say in the lower groupings A&B ). The less experienced, me included, would not be "expecting" people to over take here (as its not a race!)  and costly mistakes could be made no matter how careful I think I'm being.

I was not alone in suffering with this and it got a bit mad at times in the later sessions

Its a small grumble but I hope you see it as a way of making the day even safer. Its my opinion but I offer it for consideration ( be gentle with me :) )

Fine words Hammy - absolutely agree

In Mark's absence - and "being gentle with you";

I assume you attended the drivers briefing?  At this briefing, both the Mallory official and the WSCC Committee members in attendance were very careful to inform people that the behaviour you describe was an absolute no go area.  I also assume you remember the wise words concerning the use of the Black Flag?

I agree that some people got a little "carried away" on the final session - but perhaps you were not in the pit area to see the "calm words of advice" dished out by our gently spoken leader when the individuals arrived as a result of having the Black Flag waved at them!

I can assure you that the people our Chairman spoke to (at!) in the paddock were under no illusion that their over zeleous behaviour had been noted and would not be tolerated a second time.  They understood the message perfectly! ???

We all have a tendancy for the red mist to take over our senses on a track day - but they are (especially the WSCC events) non-competitive and not timed in any way - so there is absolutely no need to attempt to overtake anywhere near the hairpin :mad:

Having said all of that - it is great that you raise it and hence allow us all to start thinking about this nice and early.  

Trust me - anyone engaging in this sort of stuff this year will be heading home early! :down:

As per last year - there will be some very experienced WSCC competitors on hand to sit alongside the less experienced who request this - with a focus on instructing track etiquette and "the racing line".

Looking forward to seeing you all for a fun day out :)  - regardless of your previous experience or the speed you think your car is capable of.

What Mr Vice said  ;)  ;)  ;) and

but would it be worth posting the Rules at an early stage, so they have time to settle in peoples minds?

A written copy of rules are also sent to all entrants so they can read them as many times as possible from receipt till day of event  ;)  ;)  ;)  ;)

and people are spoken to when needed - and what happens in paddock/track stays in paddock/track  ;)  ;)  :D

Thank you Vice and Full Chairpersons,

I did do the pilots briefing session , must must admitt I didn't recall anything about the bit after the hairpin.   :blush:

A good reply which re-enforces things nicely, 'nuff said thank you.

vey much looking forward to it, just got to get the car working...

• 4 weeks later...

There should be absolutely no overtaking on the right hand side which should rule out any uninvited moves on the approach to the hairpin - no exceptions.  On the exit there is room to overtake but only if given a clear signal by the car in front - this doesn't just mean him moving to the right!

As ever cooperation is needed on these days, the faster guys must show a bit of tolerance and patience but there is also a requirement for the slower guys to help other cars to get past - you should never need to be stuck behind a car for more than one or two corners at Mallory.

If you'd like me to come along and instruct again Mark, I'll be happy to oblige  :t-up:

Steve H

I think some of the drivers who dont go on track very often, do not realise just how quick some of the quicker cars can go, and so dont always think to move over to the right hand side on the straights.

I agree overtaking into or on the hairpin is madness on a trackday, but I cant see the problem in overtaking when accelerating away from the hairpin? The overtaking car must stay tucked well into the inside round and out of Devils Elbow so as to be sure to ,leave plenty of room for the overtaken car, and not to cut inside going into the Devils Elbow. I cant see the harm in that?

• 2 months later...

Entry From was included in last edition of Westfield World and now also here

PLEASE WRITE ALL DETAILS CLEARLY AND ENSURE NAMES OF PASSENGERS ARE INCLUDED AND ALL TOTAL PAYMENTS   ;)  ;)  ;)  :bangshead:  :bangshead:  ;)  ;)  :D  :D

You will pass any noise test

Believe me ;)

I don't think I've ever been to another track as sensible as Mallory  :)

Had planned to attend in my road going westfield, have read the form that came with the Westfield World and it states must have a catch tank fitted.

Rule doesn't apply to other trackdays around the country for road going cars, so can only assume this trackday is for speed series members only.

What about the Saturday at Curborough is this restricted also.

Rule doesn't apply to other trackdays around the country for road going cars, so can only assume this trackday is for speed series members only.

Most "normal" road going cars have a closed breather system and vent back into the inlet manifold so a catch tank would be largely surpurflous.

The majority of westfield's both road going and SS cars run open breathers and hence if a catch tank was not fitted would be venting oil onto the track/road surface.  In event of an engine blowup or similar would you like to be the one responsible for closing the track for an hour while marshalls clean up the oil left behind simply becuase a catch tank wasn't fitted ???

Your assumption is 100% incorrect / WRONG  :D  :D  :D  :D it is for ALL WSCC Members  :D  :D

Catch tanks are required in order to stop engines putting oil down onto the circuit when they're being pushed and breathing a little "heavy" this is for safety reasons and to avoid delays in mopping up oil  ;)  ;)

Never assume always ask  ;)  ;)  ;)

and bear in mind the catch tank doesn't have to be some fancy alloy tank with sight gauges etc as that's only for MSA competitive events, a 1ltr oil bottle (or even a drinks bottle) will suffice for trackdays  :xmas:  :D