Duratec 2.0l

Jim1234

THIS MUST BE ONE OF THE FASTEST WESTFIELDS OUT THERE

???  :sheep:

:laugh:

As for the value of the car. We are always banging on on here that cars are being sold too cheep. For the spec this car does not seem fare away from where it should be.

As for the Duratec debate if Ford call it a duratec then thats what it is. If he said its the alloy blocked Duratec then you could take issue. To be honest I think I would sooner have this engine than the alloy one anyway for the reasons listed above.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• peterg

• Blatman

• Cleggy the Spyder Man

• Bob Green

I have just spoken to the seller about the potential for confusion over Zetec /Duratec and he said he would update the ad.  I then asked about the car and started with the close ratio type 9 gearbox,  which make and ratios etc - as that type of box is something I would like and as others have pointed out does add value to the car.  Guess what it does not have a close ratio gearbox; he actually tried to tell me that close ratio gearbox "was the thing that fitted to the gearbox to make the gear change faster" - a quickshift I presume - so the market value is heading down and the add is misleading in my view.  On pressing him he said he was a dealer who had bought the car to sell on, but that he would correct the ad.

I'm done with this car, so thank to all of you who have helped to unravel the mysteries of Ford and their Zetec/Duratec engines and to Jumpjet who told me about his find on ebay ( I can't say that it had ever occurred to me to look there for a car) -  I would stick to WSCC and PH if I was you as that's what I'm going to do.!

the plot thickens when a dealer gets involved - actually pleased cause that means that it is not a genuine westy owner that was misleading us

pong  :laugh:

so it hasnt got a "Duratec" engine in, nor a close ratio gearbox !

dont tell me that is carbon fibre graphics on the bonnet  :laugh:

I did wonder about the box to be honest. Still give it a wide birth and the dealer the benefit on the doubt. It may be a type of car he is not used to. If he knew what he was selling it would have been dishonest if not just nigheve

nigheve

b****y hell, I have never in all my very long years seen it spelt like that... is that the modern phonetic way?  :D  :bangshead:

I dont know how to spell it either, but I certainly could not imagine doing like that no matter how many shandies I have had  :laugh:

nieve?

nigheve

b****y hell, I have never in all my very long years seen it spelt like that... is that the modern phonetic way?  :D  :bangshead:

I am very sorry about that but being dyslectic and spending the best part of five mins trying to work out how to spell that word I gave up. I am sorry I am so thick  :bangshead:

[quote have you not got a 2006 Westfield that you built from a modular kit? Why sell this just for a Duratec Engine?

Quote in Techie Talk by yourself:

I have run into a quandary regarding the front callipers fitted to my car, a 2006 1800 Zetec Sport that I built from a modular factory kit. ]

[quote have you not got a 2006 Westfield that you built from a modular kit? Why sell this just for a Duratec Engine?

Quote in Techie Talk by yourself:

I have run into a quandary regarding the front calipers fitted to my car, a 2006 1800 Zetec Sport that I built from a modular factory kit. ]

Yes, I have got a 1800 Zetec Sport, but it is the basic car with no extras apart from a boot box lit and contoured dash.   I guess I, like many others, just wanted the fun of building a car, intending it for weekend use on the road.  After a couple of years I thought, why not do a track day, and then it quickly became apparent that this car would need upgraded if I wanted to change my pattern of use.  I have observed a line of seven type cars in my mirrors waiting to pass after corners and I did not like having to slow down behind a Porsche 911 going round the bends and then watching it pull away down the straight - only to have it happen again at the next corner.  My question in the tec section resulted from a track day I attended and suggestion on how to improve my car by spending £45 on brake pads; and why I could not find any reference on the WSCC board to the Factory supplied Land Rover Discovery II rear calipers that are fitted on the front end  modular built cars.  Spending £45 is however not going to solve the track day shortcomings of my road car.  

The reason I am looking at a Duratec (with all the goodies that I can get) is that after asking advice from Raceline and others on upgrading a 1800cc Zetec engine, I was told that this was not a good place to start and that I should at least go for a 2.0l Zetec and then upgrade that engine.   I also concluded that the MT75 gearbox in my car is hopeless for track use, and from the WSCC board that a Type 9 HD CR box was the gearbox of choice for a mixed track day and road use, and even perhaps the odd Speed event.  So add to that wide track, ARB’s, dampers, brakes, LSD and a RAC type roll bar (none of which I have) and I could spending a lot of money perhaps (£6/7k) and end up with a car that is not so road friendly and not the track day car that I would like.  If and when I come to sell the car I expect I would see very little back in terms of a price premium.  Then as they say I got lucky!

I was preparing the ground at home, for some potential expenditure, my wife actually suggested that it would be a shame to spoil our nice road car (she thinks of it as part of the family and that it should be passed on to the children when I get feed up with it) she  said why not get your-self a more track day based car – I assume all Westfield owners wife’s are equally as helpful and understanding as mine – after all she did help me put the engine and gearbox in!    So my Westy is not for sale.  With my hard earned savings receiving  pitiful interest from the bank, and the price of good second hand cars looking very low, what she was suggesting makes good financial sense.   So I’m starting to look at buying a car to use on track days and perhaps to have a go in the Speed Series, but I do not want a car that is a pain to drive on the road and has to be put on a trailer to go anywhere.

Looking on the board and PH for cars I have seen Duratec’s with lots of goodies, including type 9 gearboxes, selling for £11/12k, which looks to me to be a good place to start for what I want.  For £12/13k cars with engine upgrades circa 230bhp have been recently sold.   My rational for a second car is simple economics as I don’t have to satisfy the urge to build a car – I’ve been their and done that.  The entry floor price for a Westfield  looks to be set by old cars and Ford based Q cars at say £4/6k; £7/8k is VX and older Zetecs: £9/10k is higher performance VX and newer Zetecs with TBs: £11/13 is Duratecs with the higher priced cars having ported heads and uprated cams; finally £15/17k seems to be price range for cars with top line engines having 250/300bhp ,they are hard core Speed Series/Hillclimb cars with engines alone having cost £10k or more and straight cut/sequential gearboxes being the norm.

My conclusion is that Westfield’s like most cars fall quickly by at around 50% of the modular new build price.   Engine upgrades above the norm look to be worth only 15/20% of their cost when the car is sold.  However, after that sharp initial fall I don’t see that the price can changing by very much given the structure of the market and that these cars do not have the 10 year life span of a normal car.  I have reached the view that expenditure on upgrading is very poor value, if you have the option to buy second hand at around the spec you want.  That just leaves the question – what car fits best with my intended use.  

I think that the well developed very high spec Speed Series cars represent the best value, but I don’t think I’m hard core enough(yet) to covert a 250bhp plus car with a straight-cut/sequential gearbox that has to be transported everywhere.   The next level down seems to be a high spec Duratec with engine and gearbox upgrades and that looks to be the car for me;  when I do sell-on I would expect to get around what I paid for the car.  Keeping the wife happy by not spoiling our nice road car is perhaps the most important consideration.

Please feel free to offer an alternative target car/spec that I should look at, or if you think my back of a fag packet economic case is daft.

Smokey mentioned Tamworth and that rung a bell that's where this ebay car is located. The seller was named Nick.  Don't know about carbon bit and bobs, but I do wonder what is actually under that Duratec ST cam cover!  I think I will put an ad in the parts wanted section for for Duratec ST cam cover, I think it even beats the £45 upgrade for my brakes mentioned in my last post (the question is in the tec section).

I also see from my last (and very long post) that I have yet to master the use of Quotes.  So I'm off to search the board for instructions on how that works.

dont forget when you upgrade you can often sell the old parts to cover part of the costs

I have upgraded my car quite a bit - lighter 13" wheels - carbon aero - rac roll bar etc etc

but have sold windscreen, wipers, washers, roll bar, mirrors and various other bits and pieces -

you will be surprised what deals pop up on here or other forums if you are prepared to wait

just recently seen a LSD diff for £200 on here and if I had the spare cash I would have had that too and sold my old one

anyway good luck

I am very sorry about that but being dyslectic and spending the best part of five mins trying to work out how to spell that word I gave up

- nothing personal Matt I'm just a bit anal about spelling as it was literally beaten into me at junior school... :down:

BTW if you just type 'nigheve' into Google it says "Did you mean naive?" I never thought it would do that  ;)  :D

MS Word will auto correct, and it has a spelling and grammar function too. Handy for brushing up from time to time...

I'm just a bit anal about spelling as it was literally beaten into me at junior school...

That explains a lot :p

Morning Pete :D