Duratec 2.0l

Jim1234

Those videos are very addictive - one link just leads to another - then it’s Oh what does that scantily clad young female know about the finer point of advising the Westfield driver on "technique"   :p    did pick up a few tips though, on how to improve ones performance. :devil:

I've also been sidetracked, talking to brake and pad manufactures, and taking photos of Disco callipers and pads for the benefit of a future generation of Westfield owners  -  see the Disco thread -now its my turn and be warned I have had lots of time to think - having spent hours   :bangshead:      holding a phone waiting to speak to someone in the "Technical department"  of various companies.

I said I would come back re the video and try to explain why I think the car in the Video is different form mine and what I need to do to bridge the gap and get more enjoyment from my car on track days.  Unfortunately, I have not been to the tracks on which Andrew and Jeff display their skills.  Some of you also mention the driver so I’ll cover that as well.  

Looking at the video, Andrews driving was very smooth and looked quick and going back over a few of the earlier posts the words "in the right hands" and "competent driver" and the importance of driver training are dually noted.

Finally, the video of Andrew!  A couple of things struck me about the video and I have described them below, as I’m wondering if that will help someone pin down why I’m feeling the need to buy another higher power better spec car, rather than looking solely to improve my driving or perhaps trying to fix my car if that’s what’s needed.

Note to Self:  Must check before booking to see if 2nd gear is needed – as that could be a better option than spending money, and think how much better I’ll feel!!! :D

That's enough, I’ll come back later re ride and suspension issues and try to explain how I saw the car Andrew was diiving seemed to handle, compared with mine, which is a bit :arse:.

Which is the video you are talking about with 'Andrew' Driving?

Jim - you are analysing everything far to much!

Sometimes we have to just accept there are faster drivers than ourselves.

I could spend everyday doing trackdays with instruction in a high powered car yet my best friend would still run rings round me in a 130bhp MX5.

It's the same as any other sport - you've either got natural talent or you haven't.

Stop worrying/analysing and just enjoy trackdays for what they are!

With regards to the Type 9/MT75 debate; there is no doubt the gear choice for the type 9 is better but the MT75 will do. Just change the diff ratio, put ARP bolts in the Zetec and it will rev to 7,800 rpm all day; 7,200 without the bolts - this gives a very usable 2nd gear.

(You are obviously going to get a higher spec Westfield no matter what we say! If you want a decent trackday car then this fits the bill perfectly - it's got everything you will need:

Westy For Sale)

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• peterg

• Blatman

• Cleggy the Spyder Man

• Bob Green

Jim - you are analysing everything far to much!

Sometimes we have to just accept there are faster drivers than ourselves.

I totally agree here, there is too much analysis going on.

You must remember it’s not all about power but car set up and most importantly, and this is the bit that really counts, the natural ability of the driver.

Years and years ago (early 80’s) I used to compete in Karting, the old Class 4 and done reasonably well.  I  was given the opportunity of driving a Class 1 International Kart at a practice day at Rye House.  I thought I was getting on well, almost mustard until a youth wearing a yellow helmet with a green and blue strip passed me, no, completely blew me away!  I then understood what natural driving ability really was.

I don’t believe you can be taught to be a “winner”, you can only be taught the basics and the rest is up to you.

Lets stop analysing the analysis.

Later, I Googled BH and got up a video of Jacky Stewart in this prime driving around that circuit and talking about how each corner should be done lines to tack, turn in, apexes the lot.  Guess what, very different advice compared with that from my instructor

Nearly all of the Brands Hatch track has changed since JYS drove there... (and me in F/Ford in 1973) Paddock is almost the same but with more runoff, Druids is virtually unchanged but Bottom Bend is quite different and a lot of the 'non-Indy' part of the GP circuit is quite different so you're comparing apples with pears  :bangshead:  :t-up:

Jim

Do your thinking in your head , If you have a question, ask it , but ask yourself 1 question first .....If you had a very quick driver take your car on track , how much quicker than you would he be ?

Then when you answer that, you'll know where to spend your money , and it probably isn't on the car !!

Jim

Do your thinking in your head , If you have a question, ask it , but ask yourself 1 question first .....If you had a very quick driver take your car on track , how much quicker than you would he be ?

Then when you answer that, you'll know where to spend your money , and it probably isn't on the car !!

Hoooraaaahhhh - well said that man. (My subtle tones obviously didn't work) :t-up:

I FEEL COMPELLED TO REPLY OUT OF POLITENESS.

Just don't type anything. The internet generation will understand. Not responding is something we all do from time to time, and it's not usually considered impolite, just that a discussion has run it's course. Have a go sometime... unless you simply want the last word...

Here is a very interesting fact for all you good folk.

Taking out the "Quotes", there are 865 words on post 69.

I'm sure there are less words in the Gettysburg Address.

:D    :D    :D

I'm going to become a word analysis

well I'd start with using the correct word which would be analyst  :t-up:  :p  :D

I have started my analyst job early.

Did you know there are 593,493 words in the Old Testament and 181,253 words in New Testament, giving a total amount of words of 774,746 in the Bible.

Did I mention I am a little bored today?

:D  :D  :D