Cleggy's Spyder Rebuild 17 07 09

Cleggy the Spyder Man

hehe - if I had my way it would be  :D

just not enough hours in the day with work and the gang - keep grabbing half an hour to an hour most nights which is just enough to make it enjoyable rather than a chore

I find that when you have overdone things in the garage and start to get fed up you start to make a bodge of things - it's just learning to get your a** out of the garage when you should really

the new floorpans will require a fair bit of metal cutting of box sections - so have invested in a new chop saw I have seen on ebay - great deal at £138 inc carriage which is much cheaper than I have seen elsewhere - it allows you to set the piece at different angles - lets hope I manage to slice the metal not my fingers

anyway it is one of these

D28700.jpg

I have also done an initial mock up of the floorpan so I can start to work out in my head how it is all going to fit together - on of the problem I have is that the tub sits on the edge of the floorpan and no doubt the tub is wonky as hell - will just have to make sure the floorpans are as true and level as possible and adjust the tub so that the bodywork sits right on the car - really not looking forward to that bit

anyway here is a rather crap mock up of the new floorpan

spyderfloorpandesign.jpg

I am glad it is you rather than me. Looks like a good opportunity to buy those extra tools that cannot be justified for a Westie. What pleasure.

You are right sometimes we all try to do too much trying to finish things quickly but the pleasure is knowing when you have done enough and sitting bcak and thinking.

just one more purchase to make in the tool department I think - a welder - waiting for Chaz to get back as he has offered to lend/buy his old one

would be nice to have a bench drill - I don't even have a vice - this will need to be sorted at some point

Bench drill is a must, so useful and a good heavy vice helps with so many things but must have something rigid to sit on otherwise hopeless. Off to Machinemart me thinks with card in hand. :D  :D

i have a vice cleggy!!!!!!!!!!!!

women :devil:

i wish.

ps email sent tonight regarding the 29th

tony

thnk your right Nick - I never new this car was gonna cost sooo much  :devil:  at least I have the tools to prove it ???

i have a vice cleggy!!!!!!!!!!!!

women :devil:

i wish.

ps email sent tonight regarding the 29th

tony

you are a one woman man or is it a one man woman  :p  :p  :p too late I cannot get me head around it  :D

good news ref the 29th - will be interesting to see our motors being driven past quickly for the noise test - looking forward to it  :t-up:

make sure you have your skid lid with you cause you will be in it with him :p  :p  :t-up:

booking confirmed 29th 12.30pm

speak later

tony

I never new this car was gonna cost sooo much  

Not laughing here............................. :laugh:

My Beetle has cost be a b****y fortune and it still looks an old dog. Whenever somebody wants to take the mick they always go for my achilles heel. :D

The trick is not to let 'er in doors see the reciepts. ;) I'm guessing you already know that though. :D

I never new this car was gonna cost sooo much  

Not laughing here............................. :laugh:

My Beetle has cost be a b****y fortune and it still looks an old dog. Whenever somebody wants to take the mick they always go for my achilles heel. :D

The trick is not to let 'er in doors see the reciepts. ;) I'm guessing you already know that though. :D

sshhhhh  ;)

another 30 mins sees the other floor pan lopped off

SANY1690.jpg

really ought to start thinking about getting some steel - I have made a few enquiries and the local engineers who's building is just over the other side of the business estate

failing them having the right sections/lengths there is a local steel stockist (B&M Steel) within 1/4 of a mile - trouble is they will want to sell in 6m lengths which I dont suppose will be too much of an issue as long as they will cut it down a bit for me

SANY1691.jpg

It's only taken you one month to get it from this:

SANY1160.jpg

to this:

SANY1690.jpg

I bet it takes you a lot longer to put it back together again :D.  Good effort Cleggy, keep at it.

I think that this could be used as the Angel of Peterborough if stood upright and planted in the ground by the A1.

doesnt seem possible that it could all go back together at the moment - I like the piccy though, keeps my spirits up  :t-up:

not much cultural stuff down this way so if I get really p****d off I will go weld it to a bridge over the A1  :D  :D  :D the angel of Norman Cross ... n1 Nick

• 2 weeks later...

well it has been a while and little has been done down to work, home and family stuff - you know how it goes

however I have been accumulating a few bits n pieces to help with the build -

the chassis is tucked up against the wall to allow the westy back in the workshop - Julie and I managed to have an argument today as to if the garage is a workshop or a junk room - every time I go in the "workshop" there is a collection of kids toys or some other unwanted piece of unwanted household s**t  :(  ;)

so have been negotiating a shed which is TBH long overdue - hence the other topic reference flooring

anyway no car progress but tools for the build are starting to roll in off ebay

a cheap but rather effective bench drill - tested and works a treat - paid £30

SANY1830.jpg

found these on ebay incredibly cheap and low access - so hopefully the westy will go up em? a bargain me thinks

carramp.jpg

I also found these builders trestles which should be superb for resting the beetle chassis on - might even get some big HD castors so I can roll it around nice n easy

trestle.jpg

so all I need now is to get me finger out and obtain a welder