Cleggy's Spyder Rebuild 17 07 09

Cleggy the Spyder Man

Cleggy, when it comes to old VW's you have to forget about modern engineering and just accept that most are held together with chewing gum and string,or some of the later models use gaffer tape. :D  :D

lewis

yup but you cant beat soaking your nuts in WD40

Well - some wooden pallets now placed at the side of the house ready for the body off

still trying to source a trekker fan housing which is proving not surprisingly difficult

If I do manage to find one and it still doesnt fit I can always hit it with a hammer like the one pictured here  :D

spyder7-1.jpg

Still trying to find some dial - I did email ETB yesterday - rather surprisingly they have not bothered to come back to me - cannot believe these people stay in business TBH

anyway if you have instruments like these kicking around or know of a good supplier at reasonable prices let me know

4b86b79577.jpg

SANY1351.jpg

How many instrument holes???

You have enough to fit a water termperature gauge which it probably didn't have before  :p  :p

Cleggy I would seriously consider chucking that wiring away and starting from scratch, from what I've seen I think your gonna spend more time than you imagine getting it tidy + working.

from what I can remember the loom is a basic beetle, would be cheaper and safer to just buy a new loom, looking at the one fitted where would you start :suspect:

lewis

Cleggy I would seriously consider chucking that wiring away and starting from scratch, from what I've seen I think your gonna spend more time than you imagine getting it tidy + working.

thats a nice offer ---  :p

so when you coming around to sort it  :D

Give me a haynes VW beetle manual, access to colour coded cable, electrical tape and conduit and I'll make a loom for you in a day :p

I might just be recruiting your services

would you like your name on the side of the car wehn its finished  :D

seriously I will be in touch  :t-up:

It'll be a great achievement when it's finished mate, keep up the good work :)

Dave

more like a miracle  :D

I shall keep going at it

thinking cap is on at the moment

clearly the seat belt safety was an absolute joke - you will see the belt would just pull through the fibre glass in the event of an accident

so with a little though I have come up with some dodgy looking design (my corel draw skills aint too clever but you get the drift) of a frame for the rear section -

this will allow me to mount some proper race style belts and strengthen things up a little at the rear - it will also make for a neater job of the boot area when finished

Graphic1.jpg

any thoughts guys? what section/size box should I go for?

does anyone have some seat belt anchors that I can buy?

You don't hang about do you Cleggy. :t-up:

Love these type of threads and watch the effort that goes into them.

Keep up the good work. :D have you worked out what the problem with the front suspension is yet ?

Hi chap

Nowt wrong with suspension (we think) the problem is all in the body - so lord only knows how I am going to over come that one?

Will have a look at the floor pans when I get the body off to see if off side has sagged. although I dont believe it could be 2" out - I think the baulk head where it is formed onto the outer body is wonky - just hoping I can find a good looking solution rather than a shabby one

The front however does need to go down a few inches

So adjusters will need to be order shortly

Thanks for your interest - keep ideas coming m8, they are appreciated