• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Cleggy's Spyder Rebuild 17 07 09

Cleggy the Spyder Man

see you guys tonight  :t-up:

Thanks Dave and Tony for your help tonight - could not have done it without you  :t-up: was good to get heads together

good progress made tonight - Tony and I managed to get the rear axle bolted up ready for when Dave arrived

then it was a matter of lifting the front bodywork section into place, we soon however realised that there was a small section of the jig that needed to be lopped off with the angle grinder and also that the fron t suspension was let too low after having the adjusters fitted

10 minutes later with an angle grinder and a jack for th adjusters the body was being trial fitted

good news - the new floorpan edges are spot on and the body now sits much more level than previous -

bad news - the body is still sitting high on one side at the front, so looks like I have some adjustment of the tub to do at some point

SANY2456.jpg

flintstones, meet the flintstones !!!

SANY2458.jpg

SANY2455.jpg

another update tomorrow - thanks again chaps

phoenix will get taken to bits again  :laugh:  but it was nice to see the body sat back on if it was only temporarily  :love:

your new avatar is orrible!!!!!!!!!!! :laugh:

Oh Really  :p

after a session messing about with seat heights midweek I have decided to lower the seat height which means some extra fabrication on the pans - I rather amusingly at the time spent 15 minutes sitting on a stack of floor tiles trying to determine where my head would sit when plonked in the seat - glad it was just me and Jago in the workshop and that no photographic evidence exists  :blush:  :laugh:

after thinking about it for a few nights I decided to weld on some cross pieces of 25 x 25 mm (not done yet) and then to make up some lowering framework for the seat

first job to decide on the angle and cut four identical pieces to size - off to my best friend (apart from Mr Angle Grinder) Mr Chop Saw - cannot believe what short work this machine makes of cutting up metal

SANY2489.jpg

then using a good flat tile on me trestle stands make up the first piece using that as a sample to ensure all the other angles remain the same

SANY2490.jpg

SANY2492.jpg

then to the other end

SANY2490.jpg

all four pieces spot on

SANY2494.jpg

showing how the seats will sit onto the framework when welded up onto the chassis - this things gonna weigh a ton  :laugh: gonna need more than 50 bhp  :suspect:

SANY2497.jpg

:laugh:  maybe not

tonights job see the front lowered floor pan support going in - my main concern was again matching up both sides so that you could look across from the side of the car and see that a perfect straight line through

as I was using one piece for each side I decided to clamp on one long piece underneath - to this I simply tacked on a small bit of box section either end so that it went below the centre tunnel - I then measure from the the rear hat 730mm forwards on both sides

SANY2499.jpg

cut the bits to size and tack in place

SANY2502.jpg

welded along top

SANY2503.jpg

and finally the money shot - do they line up?

SANY2505.jpg

yup thank the lordy  :laugh: