• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Cleggy's Spyder Rebuild 17 07 09

Cleggy the Spyder Man

Hey Dave - how's it going chap

thanks for your kind words  :D  been to the fair with the family tonight so am knackered - will hopefully set too again tomorrow night and get a bit more laid out

I think the engine will be one of the last jobs I tackle m8 - do you want your stand back? (I guess you will be tackling your 2nd gear issue)

let us know m8 - it is no problems to drop it onto the floor for a while - I might even just go buy one as I see they are darned cheap

Im in no rush for the stand will let you know if/when i need it! will probably only want it for a couple of weeks so not worth you buying one.

cars still taxed till the end of the month, then i need to get the bits before it comes apart could even be after Christmas now.

Im starting to get silly ideas about building another car its all Paul's fault  :mad: thinking along the lines of an atom type car from scratch  :suspect:  i never seem to do things the easy way  :bangshead:

sounds like a lotta fun - I like the MEV cars

first piece had a V shape cut and bent to fit - gotta leek on the gas pipe from the welder so this has stopped play for tonight

the new floorpan edge follows the original line of the old pans - old pan can be seen resting in place underneath - I have left both ends longer than need be ready for cutting down

SANY2392.jpg

off to Designation tomorrow to get a push in joiner for the pipe  :bangshead:

looking like somethings started to happen cleggy, not long before you will want a hand to put the body back on  :devil:

keep at it.

yeah your right Tony - body will be resting back on soon in readiness for lining up etc

I shall tack weld for new pans in first then do a trial build - this will allow me to make all other brackets and braces such as the fuel tank bracket, seat runners and rear frame work

once this is done I shall then take it all to bits and start the tarting up - so sandblast the whole thing and get busy painting

I have had a glass of wine tonight, but still think I am gonna have 30 minutes or so in a while

Let us know when you wanna have a look at your motor chap  :t-up:

ok an hour later a little more progress has been made

step back a little

previous job was to measure the angle and cut with the chop saw - the chop saw is fine for straight cuts and angles on the other axis but not so good for the axis I was cutting so was a little heath robinson but it did the job ok

SANY2399.jpg

Next job was to tack weld and then clamp to my table top surface which had been previously checked for being a true flat surface

SANY2402.jpg

my welding has improved no end with practice on non important pieces, so this was my first attempt on something that matters - I was pretty pleased with good penetration and fairly neat welds - I may perhaps just notch the wire speed down a little next time

SANY2396.jpg

now one has been made it was time to replicate - once the piece was cut and I had managed to achieve the correct angle I then clamped both pieces together, welded the inner edge and then clamped to the table as before to finish off the welding either side

both parts of the floorpan are now perfectly matched

SANY2400.jpg

SANY2403.jpg

tomorrow nights job is to cut the ends to fit and weld onto the front parts a small angled piece to allow them to fit the wider front mounting point

Hey!

Thats my angle grinder you've  got there,  wondered where it go to  :)

naa it's defo mine - I even bought it and everything  :laugh:

it's my best friend too

• 3 weeks later...

these floor pans have really dragged - well tbh I have been dragging my heels with little enthusiasm to get going

anyway other stuff seems to be sorting itself out a little so tonight I went back into the garage with renewed enthusiasm - have me old m8 coming over tomorrow night so that will be two nights in a row - woopedy-doo

this picture shows the un-touched rear hat on the nearside

SANY2429.jpg

this one shows the centre tunnel lips removed and welded up

SANY2426.jpg

this final picture shows the the floorpan jig now fitted both sides and the floorpan edges resting in place

SANY2428.jpg

hopefully another update tomorrow

Looking good mate that will make a huge difference on getting the seats to fit properly that lump was right in the way before!

"SNAP"  :D Was out in the garage as-well fitting my freshly rebuilt lsd then Alan turned up with with my ebay donor engine ready for the gearbox rebuild that he kindly picked up from Bristol  :suspect:

Keep it up mate looks like its all coming together  :t-up:

hi m8

theres a nice looking rsk spyder on ebay at the moment if your interested in a project

you may well be wanting the stand back soon then  :D  sounds like you got some work to do  :t-up:

pop over m8 if you fancy a ride our one night

catch you soon

Clark

You're getting there with it mate. It'll be well worth it when it's on the road.

Will you be extending your garage? ???

Dave

Dave@ hi m8 - hope all is well - is the westy tucked away at the moment in the garage?

I have storage at work for loads of motors so wont need a bigger garage, although it would be so handy if I had of had a double garage built when we had the house extended 3-4 years back - if only I had a crystal ball  :laugh: and could me getting back into cars all over again

Pistonbroke@ thanks chap - I have been told off several times for leaving the door open whilst grinding, cutting and welding - I know better now  :blush: