Cleggy's Spyder Rebuild 17 07 09

Cleggy the Spyder Man

Ok again it has been a while since my last post but a little progress has been made

I have managed to get my hands on a SIP migmate welder via Chaz - seems to work well enough but have been unable to properly test as I left the gas on  :bangshead:  and had an empty bottle the following night when I went to use it

me build stands arrived and are more than up to the job

I have also purchased a Ryobi chop saw which is a mental piece of kit  :devil: I have been finding bits of metal to cut just for the fun of it  :laugh:

I picked up the front axle today - the adjusters have been fitted so tonight's job was chassis onto the stands and front axle temporarily re-fitted

SANY2060.jpg

SANY2067.jpg

I keep changing my mind, but the plan is to re-build the car with new floorpans and rear subframe - get the bodywork to sit on correctly and then un-assemble everything and sandblast/paint before the final re-build

chop saw doing it's bit

SANY2065.jpg

Hi Mike

The chassis has been shortened by 19" so if I did decide to go the VW floorpan route I would have to cut em up anyway

I would also have to chop off seat mounts etc

chop saw doing it's bit

SANY2065.jpg

what a pretty picture, aaaah :laugh:

good shot with the camera in your left hand.

Proof I am not loosing my hair  :laugh:  well at the back anyway  :D

jago with the camera

A question you might be able to answer; the bug chassis never looks too rigid to me as its just a flat floor pan and a fake tranny hump - people  seems to use them like this in beach buggies, but do they flex a lot or really need extra bracing ?

Great build thread BTW-  much more interesitng than those westfield ones :)  :p

someone hold back chaz!!!! :laugh:

I think I saw on Wheeler Dealers on TV that you can get a new chasis ready to go for not too much money. They bought one when they did their beach buggy conversion.

Just my opinion - scrap it before you spend far too much on it as it will never be worth much more than you paid for it

A question you might be able to answer; the bug chassis never looks too rigid to me as its just a flat floor pan and a fake tranny hump - people  seems to use them like this in beach buggies, but do they flex a lot or really need extra bracing ?

hammy - they do flex a bit but not enough for me to worry about kicking out 50 bhp  :laugh: - many people have highly tuned engines strapped onto these chassis -

the overall design is incredibly old and with the suspension set-up they have a bit of chassis flex is the least of their problems  :laugh:

I shall be building in a little extra crash protection so this will give a little extra stiffness

John - I did look into a new chassis, but at 500 plus the cost was way too much - it would then have to be jigged up and shortened adding further costs

the chassis does not need any patching up; just the modifications as detailed previousley

anyway i quite like the job of doing it TBH  :t-up:

I am not really doing the job to make money - I do expect to cover my costs, and have already had two offers to buy it when it is complete

Has anyone in here enjoyed the experiance of building a westfield and got their money back when it is time to sell it - I doubt it  :(

beetle chassis do flex a little but the body when bonded on makes for a very rigid set up, as for power I saw a spider in the states with aSuberu engie pushing out over 200 bhp :devil: Cleggy the offer of the suspension book stands just PM your address.

lewis

• 3 weeks later...

Lewis- book arrived yesterday - thanks m8  :t-up:

again it has been a while since me last update - lots of crap going on ATM still

finally got some steel today for the floorpans - I have decided to use 25x50 with 2mm wall for the edges of the floorpans and for all cross runners and triangulation I decide to do will be done with 25 x 25mm

the job tonight was to start spot welding to the chassis a jig to help line up the new floorpans nice and level - the existing floorpans were badly out of shape to I have located some strategic points on the existing chassis that can be used as points to tack on the jig

the first piece of 25 x 25 goes under the framehead at the front of the chassis - it is tacked onto two nodes underneath

SANY2384.jpg

the second piece of the jig is tacked in place at the rear of the chassis onto the under side of the floorpan support - this is located onto the rear chassis tube so as long as the chassis is straight I have chosen a good place to use as a reference point ?

the old floorpan is rested in place so that I can follow the line of the outer edge before tacking the next piece in

SANY2385.jpg

SANY2386.jpg

an engineers square is the first thing that comes to hand with a straight edge - this is used to align the two pieces of the jig  :blush:

SANY2388.jpg

so next job is to make the edges of the floorpan - I shall probably lay the two pieces of 25 x 25 onto the old floorpans, work out the angle and then cut using the chop saw

with one piece made I can then make an identical one for the other side and just flip it over - in theory the same piece should fit both side, I wonder if that will be the case  ???

Hi Cleggy,

IMO for adding strength to a bug chassis without a bug body you need to replace the strength of the heater channels with something.  Then have a look at how the convertible bugs add some rigidity back in with an extra cross member under the rear seat area.  I can't remember if they have some extra cross member up front too - probably not because the front bulkhead would be the same as a normal body I guess.

Mike ;)

we are thinking along the same lines Mike

I shall be adding some framework and triangulating where I can

About time!!  :laugh: was wondering when the next update would be :D

Looks like you have a plan!..... nice idea with the box section as a jig even your spot welds look good! keep up the good work Cleggy  :t-up: