karts

JeffC

Before you decide what kart to buy you will need a good idea of what exactly you want from it. Do you intend taking any of them racing with it? Do you intend them to be competitive? Will it just be used as a 'track day' toy?

If you intend on using it as a bit of fun then my advice would be get an older junior TKM (from roughly 2002ish) These can be had for as little as £500 with a few spares and will provide all the fun you can handle for a track day only use.

The TKM class is still very popular if you intend to take the little ones racing and your local outdoor track should have a meeting once a month. If you intend on going racing then the older TKM will be fine for this but you wont be winning anything! To get up the field you will need a chassis no older than late 2006 and this is where prices start to rocket for everything.

You can do a full season (10 rounds) of a local championship for around £1500 (£200 on tyres, £50 a pop entry fee, £30 a pop practice day, £150 for fuel/oil inc. getting there and back, and a spare parts fund of £350) but all you will do is have fun - not win anything.

If you get as far as the national championship (6 rounds when i did it) you can spend upwards of £10,000 a season!!!

The Rotax class tends to be more expensive like for like that TKM but is slightly more user friendly in my experience. The TKM will be easier to drive that the Rotax as the tyres are less grippy and the karts are slower. If you plan on spending the whole day karting with the litlle ones then go with the TKM for now as they will get tired.

TKM is also a better class for learning the basic principles of how to actually properly. There is much less mechanical grip so the driver will need to think more about what they are doing to go quicker (i appear to be digressing here so will stop and save you all from boredom  :blush: )

I hope this helps, if there is anything i have missed post away and i'll try and help  :t-up:

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JeffC

• Pilot Pete

• slippy

• boblog

Top Posters In This Topic

well thats the budget for both karts blown on the first one  :blush:  :blush:   :durr:  :durr:  :durr:  :durr:

bought a 2006 Birel with world formula engine in ,pretty much unused and other than a good clean its ike brand new  :t-up:  :t-up:

looks pretty much same as this one here

http://www.motorsportads.co.uk/recently-sold/7649.html

this one is for the oldest boy although It is going to need adapting , is it possible to buy pedal extensions to make it quick release to swap drivers  :suspect:  :suspect:

It is a new formula to me but the right lines with a long running 4 stroke , however , If you paid full price for it I think it is too much based on what you wanted it for . the chassis make are well known and very good race chassis but not particurarily adjustable to fit .

At this level of kit you normally can move the seat by drilling more holes and moving it but its a real PITA

From the Karting website

Birel World Formula Kart

Birel World Formula Kart. Reiable, competitive Kart currently raced at Larkhall. Low cost entry into Karting. Included with Kart 1x set of racing Slicks, 1x set of Wets and practice Slicks (all on rims). Can deliver. Phone for more details.

Price: £675

Tel: 01294557281 or 07766802924

Ref: 094610

Expires: 06/10/2008

Is more like it , but , I haven't looked too hard !!

the one in the ad isnt the one i bought  ;)

the main reason I bought the one I did is I know its never been crashed and abused to be fair its hardly been used  :t-up:

the one in the ad isnt the one i bought  ;)

the main reason I bought the one I did is I know its never been crashed and abused to be fair its hardly been used  :t-up:

Jeff, is it a "good" kart or a "bad" kart! :D  :p  :laugh:

hi jeff,

you can get 'tubes' that go over teh pedals basically it makes them bit that you put your feet on thicker - so brings it closer if you have shorter legs... may help bridge the gap between the two older lads ?

you could also cut a bit of teh foam matress for camping to put down the seat base and or seat back to help..

the karting uk forum is full of info and good for sale section..

Jeff,

Got loads of spares from my junior britain days! loads of chains/sprokets (front and back)/wheels/whirly visor etc... will have a look in garage and remeniss and see whats there. Karting is good fun, thought about getting back into now i have some money!!!!

if you look down this list - you will see them - i just googled these - this particular company are in NA - but you can get them here

http://www.accelerationkarting.com/index%20miscellaneous.html

the actual pedal extension kits they sell are much more engineered that what i have seen previously - what they call the anti skid pedal covers look more like what i have seen..

a simple bit of aluminium bar bored just over the pedal bore and a grub screw would do perfect - maybe knurled so there is grip on it....

or just heat the existing pedal and bend - if there is a happy medium to suit both boys ??

I found spellframe karting to be very handy in the past

http://www.spellfame.co.uk/

would be very surprised if they didn't have something off the shelf to suit..

• 3 weeks later...

boing  :laugh:

right bit of technical required  :blush:

on the front wheels of me kart it has 4 spacers so the wheels can either stick right out or be set right in over, which will be the best for a dry track and which for a wet track  :suspect:  ???  ???  :durr: at the mo the wheels are set to stick out as far as possible  :suspect:

anyone tell me a good starting point for tyre pressures also  :durr:

ta  :t-up:  :D

ps its  b****y good fun so far  :t-up:  :t-up:

In for wet

Out for dry

10 Psi

As told to me for my rotax max :t-up:

Errrr......

I think it's the other way around

Tyre pressures varies for track temperatures and tyre compound

In for wet

Out for dry

10 Psi

Errrr......

No wonder it handles like a drift car then.  :laugh:

In for wet

Out for dry

10 Psi

Errrr......

howay man divant confuse me further  :laugh:  which way is it  ???  spoke to 2 guys at the weekend and both give me different answers   :durr:  :suspect:  :suspect: