What do you think of these Trailer Straps?

Crazy Eddie

After selling my BJ Minno to Asterix I'm struggling to find the straps that I had.

They were really funky and just went round the tyre so no contact with the alloy and only downward pressure so no probs knakering suspension.

But can't find them anywhere and wandered what people thought of these: Straps

Seem to be made for job just look like could be a pain to fit and issues with pulling suspension but anyone used them / similar what do you think?

Cheers

Eddie :t-up:

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Blatman

• slippy

• Mid life crisis

• green-light-on

Can't look at Ebay at work  :oops:  so don't know what those ones look like but a lot of people use the ones from Machine Mart  ;)

They look like mine and they go around the wheel like the photograph without touching the rims if you're careful. Ther is no suspension pulling at all 'cos the force is directly on the wheel.

I bought a set of these a month or so ago........ and they are cracking quality. They do exactly as it says on the advert. Fitting is fairly straightforward if you are familiar with how a ractchet works. All of the load is placed around the tyre so the risk of putting stress on bushes and bearings is minimised.

IMHO, for the price, you won't find better.....

:t-up:

Eddie,

I also have a set of these and they are brilliant quality as Sir Geg says BUT .... they are heavy, I can't put the rear left one on due to my exhaust but 3 are ample and they take longer to fit than my others but that will come with practise.

It took me ages to work out the ratchet but you may be cleverer than me  :bangshead:  :bangshead:

I just drilled some more holes in the deck of the trailer in the centre of the wheel line, bought some more hooked D rings that are useally stitched on the end of the straps, leave them hooked through,the car just runs over them when going on and off hook the strap on then over the wheel through the loose D ring and then on to the ratchet which can go anywhere on the deck even on the exhaust side just done 2500 miles in three weeks around europe no probs its also good if the trailer is a bit narrow for the car the force is downward and forward pulling the car into the chocks on a BJ trailer id put some pics on but im just a carpenter and dont know how to do it Gray.

Close ups of the D ring system would be well handy :t-up:

Maybe even a small article for the mag, because it sounds like a real winner. I'd patent the idea...

I have a set--good quality...and fit for purpose.

Regarding Brian James trailer lash points....I just used the normal holes and fitted a lifting eye bolt with a thick washer and nut on the back...sandwiched to the deck and put a shackle on the eye.

Close ups of the D ring system would be well handy :t-up:

mee too....  :)

Gray, How have managed the tow eye at the front under the number plate?

I just drilled some more holes in the deck of the trailer in the centre of the wheel line, bought some more hooked D rings that are useally stitched on the end of the straps, leave them hooked through,the car just runs over them when going on and off hook the strap on then over the wheel through the loose D ring and then on to the ratchet which can go anywhere on the deck even on the exhaust side just done 2500 miles in three weeks around europe no probs its also good if the trailer is a bit narrow for the car the force is downward and forward pulling the car into the chocks on a BJ trailer id put some pics on but im just a carpenter and dont know how to do it Gray.

Was thinking the same after seeing Midlifes Minno (oooo err) on Sunday all I think I need is a couple of knackered ratchet straps then nick D/Triangle shaped rings off the end.

Where did you purchase said rings ?

Hi all i will try and take some close up photos of the D rings and how the car is strapped down but will use the spare from the westie on the trailer deck cos i cant be botherd to put the car on the said trailer, as its got no battery or nose cone on it . And the trailer is all wrapped up for winter but will undo it all just for you nice people . I to bought the expensive straps and then sat and tried for hours to strap the car down so i was happy with it but because the trailer deck is only 11 foot long just could not get the straps to sit right even using the loads of holes that come on the BJs deck, the straps always seemed to foul somthing the arches number plate etc. And the straps touch the wheels could scratch, drop down the back on to the discs and other componants so for me it was the only option others on here might not agree but thats fine all i know is the only part of the car the straps touch is the tyres and you only have to buy the normal ratchet straps if any one wants any details of the trailer PM me it took me a while to work out what that ment boy im thick Gray.