• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Stoneleigh 2008

Mark Stanton

With Stoneleigh 2007 proving successful all round and receiving good feedback from the club members and also having the WSCC Build Team on the factory stand  ;)  :D

We gotta better it in 2008

So please post some ideas and suggestions for Stoneleigh 2008  ;)  ;)  ;)  :D  :D  :D

Please don't let it degenerate - lets keep the ideas flowing and we can sort out what's achievable and cost effective without any serious H&S issues

Thanks  :D  ;)

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mark Stanton

• scott beeland

• slippy

• Asterix

It would be nice to do some kind of passenger ride thing like the Caterhams did on a slalom course this year. It looked fun and drew the crowds  :t-up:

Engine/Gearbox/TB "upgrades", IE Swap out a crossflow on carbs and replace with a Zetec on TB's (for example) and add in a S/C gearbox. Time table it as much as possible so that we get maximum exposure, and so that owners doing similar jobs can be around at the right time to watch how it's done. The new parts can be on display at the start of the show, and they get replaced with the old parts so that folk can see (and photograph) the differences.

Yes we'd need a volunteer with enough money to stump up for the bits, but I guess the upside is the the lucky punter gets the work done FOC by arguably the best team of car builders there is. Maybe it's an opportunity we could raffle off, with profits going to charity and gaining us even more kudos.

I get the feeling I just made a load of work for myself :down:

Similar to 'The Secretarys' suggestions how about a weight loss program, a kind of wieght watchers for a car... The aim to replace / upgrade as many bits as poss in the given time, with a raffle (for charity of course) to guess the difference...  :D  :D

Or a Naked car build.... or perhaps you could arrange for a giant tank to be delivered and fill it with water and do the first ever underwater car build!  :D  :bangshead:  :p  :D

Or a strip and rebuild, where a car is stripped then  rebuilt inside a box type thingy with a small opening. kinda like a ship in a bottle??  :D

Ok, I'll go now....  :down:  :devil:

I'll volunteer my car for a rebuild  ;)

I think we have to do the slalom course thing. It always draws a big queue when caterham put it on.

Jim Bickley/Barney and maybe The Stint to drive??

Maybe some upgrades to the Anniversary car covered by detailed commentary?

Upgrading a major component on an owners car ( say an engine/ gearbox/widetrack or something) at owners cost also sounds worth considering

As also mentioned by Julian/Frank Turner and a good number of the club I think we need to combine club and show presence on the club stand; aswell as having factory stand inside hall (insurance if it rains :D )

The new management team do sound well up for a much stronger relationship with the club.

Hows about a display showing cars purely for the road, one for the road legal class Speed Series and an out and out sprint beast/race car.

It would show people what they would need to do to their cars for various levels Westy motorsports.  It might encourage more people when they see how simple it can be.

Keep em comin  :D  :D  ;)  :D  ;)  ;)

I deffinatley think the autotest/sprint/slalom thingy would be the best bet, but of course it would have to be better,faster,and slightly cheaper than the other one  :)  :D  :p  :t-up:

Never been to Stoneleigh so bare with me

Like Bob said an introduction to motorsport i.e the Speed Series with a display of what you need to do to your car with maybe an example, what safety gear is required with examples and costs etc and possibly a couple of the mentors manning said stand to answer questions

Best privately built Westy in show

A westy cut in half down the middle engine box and all

Build some RC Westy's for Joe public to race around a small track prizes for the winners or even each area i.e North East, North West etc builds an RC Westy and the AO or another rep races it against the rest for a cup/bragging rights

I'll think of some more in a bit ???

Get the factory to go to the autosport show and stoneleigh with the Speed series and the BARC wstfield race cars, introducing a "Westfield scholship".

Organise a Westfield only drag compertition/autotest for Club members.

Councourse compertition in one of the halls, members of the public to vote for best car?

Ask the membership/interigate the FAQ to identify perhaps 10 key elements to demonstrate on teh stand. Basic things like changing oil, ballencing carbs, car set up and what effects this has on handeling.

Mobile Rolling road shootout for WSCC members only, have this in the club stand.

The upgrade a basic car idea is a good one, if say we did TB's or wide rack, we could do these conversions every 2 hours of so.

I'll think of some others I'm sure

Build some RC Westy's for Joe public to race around a small track prizes for the winners or even each area i.e North East, North West etc builds an RC Westy and the AO or another rep races it against the rest for a cup/bragging rights

I know someone who did something very similar to this on a stand  somewhere... :suspect:  :suspect:  ;)

All you need to do is get several basic RC cars that look similar to a westi.. and then get  body shells moulded to the westi shape, then construct a simple track etc.. all relatively simple  :D . Of course you need plenty of batteries charging and a good race commentator, but it proved very successful indeed!  ;)  A daily championship with a prize is a great way to ensure people return... and helps build the excitment.   :cool:

A concourse competition sponsered and judged by the factory.

Rolling road shoot out on the club stand

Some examples of owners cars on the factory stand

Maybe a race between a club team and a factory team to see who can build a car the quickest.

Slalom course like Caterhams

An area devoted to different areas of the club, maybe just info of who your local A/O is, how to contact them and where and when they meet.

A small area where a good driver can take intrested and prospective buyers out in a Westy and scare them sh!*less

Official record attempt for the fastest kit car ever built

Well that's about all I can think of, some of which people have allready mentioned. I think the club and the factory working closer together at shows and in general will be good for both of us.