V8 or BEC

Edd

If you want power and sound, a Cosworth engine is the way to go.  Power........... there are chips to take you to seriously big figures.  Sound.......... listen to the Turbocharger spooling up and the wastegate letting go.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Edd

• Bazzer

• V 8

• JeffC

Top Posters In This Topic

listen to the Turbocharger spooling up and the wastegate letting go.

You really should know better, its not the wastegate :0:angry::p

Dump valve if you've got one fitted, otherwise the chatter / fluttering sound is compressor stall (much cooler) :p

When a turbo produces boost the engine consumes it, creating a flow of air.  When you snap the throttle shut the flow of air (under presure) has nowhere to go and the pressure builds.  Normally at this point the dumpvalve sees the vaccuum behind the throttle plate, and vents the pressure giving a whoosh (or silent when its ducted back to the airbox in oem applications)

Chatter occurs when this pressured air has nowhere to go except back out through the compressor stage of the turbo (which is still spinning at 100,000 rpm) causing a chopping / flutter / chatter noise.

Some turbo's can't handle the deceleration on the compressor turbine whilst the exhaust is still being spun and snap the shaft (T4's) but my little T3 loves it :cool:

Its all to do with air passing the wrong way through the cool side of the turbo, the wastegate is in the hotside.

from Here

Your absolutly right, I did mean the dump valve.  Look at the time of the post and (this bit you can't see) the Vodka bottle that appears to have had a rather large evacuation of content.

So to summarise Bob: As well as being a chavvy boy racer, you don't know what you're talking about either :oops:  :durr:  :D

So to summarise Bob: As well as being a chavvy boy racer, you don't know what you're talking about either :oops:  :durr:  :D

Sorry for the late reply but I was looking for my Burberry baseball cap.

Boy racer........... I wish.  More of a grandad racer.   :D    :D

Boy racer........... I wish.

Just jubilee a bit of broom handle or ali bar in the hole where the dumpvalve goes and block the end of the small pipe.  It sounds so much better and should be more responsive (although many a debate has raged over that one), and it won't harm your standard turbo.

Yes But !!!!

Mine has 350BHP of Awesomeness.

Makes all the cool whooshing Turbo noises.

AND is still under 500Kg

:p  :p  :D  :D  :p  :p

Bazzer

Yes But !!!!

AND is still under 500Kg

Bazzer

But how annoying is it having to wear a helmet all the time, and cruising at 8k rpm on the motorway? :p  How's the gearbox holding up, probably alright with the lack of torque :D

Yes But !!!!

AND is still under 500Kg

Bazzer

But how annoying is it having to wear a helmet all the time, and cruising at 8k rpm on the motorway? :p  How's the gearbox holding up, probably alright with the lack of torque :D

When you have a face like mine a helmet and a dark visor is a bonus  :D

You take your 7 on Motorway's  :0  :0  :0

My second gearbox is doing very nicely thank you  :D

If I get someone to push me at the same time as slipping the clutch I can somtimes get enough torque to pull away  :D

It really does go to show that the beauty of cars like this is the variety. From the earliest cross flow powered cars to Barry's mutant nutter machine they all fantastic fun.

Bazzer

Barry's mutant nutter machine

PMSL  :D  :D  :D  :D  :t-up:  :t-up:

When you have a face like mine a helmet and a dark visor is a bonus  :D

True, true

Got to get one of them dark visor thingys, my 'ooter spoils all the photos :oops: