• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Edd

• Bazzer

• V 8

• JeffC

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd go BEC if you're into performance OR V8 if you're into lifestyle.

is that a lifestyle of looking for petrol stations :p:p

sorry ;)

oh...clarification...I meant lifestyle as in "Harley Davidson". :D

Performance as in, "Fuckfuckfuckfuckfuck......!!!!!" :D

I imagine the performance of a V8 as a couple less "f**k" 's

Edd after La Mans make a trip down to Weston I will take you out for the ride of your life then Honestly say you don't want a V8.

Every time I take the car out it scares the s**t out of me the accellaration just can not be matched. Yesterday I made a biker look stupid after we left the pub and overtook the horse box I had a bike all over my A*** and when I floored it he could not keep up and one blast was up a steep hill where I hit 110 and he dissapeared in my mirrors.

I had a bike all over my A*** and when I floored it he could not keep up and one blast was up a steep hill where I hit 110 and he dissapeared in my mirrors.

that is where a V8 will shine - a BEC is going to be all over it on a track though. Braking, cornering and agility are all a magnitude greater than with a CEC...

But hey! What do I know? My next car is going to be a full 65bhp  :D  :p

Edd after La Mans make a trip down to Weston I will take you out for the ride of your life then Honestly say you don't want a V8.

Every time I take the car out it scares the s**t out of me the accellaration just can not be matched. Yesterday I made a biker look stupid after we left the pub and overtook the horse box I had a bike all over my A*** and when I floored it he could not keep up and one blast was up a steep hill where I hit 110 and he dissapeared in my mirrors.

Very kind offer Barry

I am swayed slightly by V8 for the noise and low down grunt,but i will most likely enter some kind of series and do more trackdays so think busa is better

i could always get a v8 and a BEC  :angry:  ???

I love me busa  on track and when its getting used in anger, but on the road its noisy and not the nicest thing to drive,It puts me off using it other than local blats ,  cec have much better road manners, If I sold this car I"m not sure I would go back down the bec route, I personally wouldnt consider a V8 they are not my thing but  I would prob go for a well sorted Duratec   ???  :t-up:

Bike or V8 engine seem to be at opposite ends of the spectrum; interestingly when Westfield built there own trackday focused weapon (Sport 2000s) they chose a duratec engine.

I know this car cost £30 big ones but it does show a CEC can be everybit as quick as the BEC's

personally I would go for a compromise with a 4 banger car engine. If you have the money the duratec is the most up to date engine; slightly less will get a Zetec or vauxhall.

Not to be discounted are the 1600 engines from Ford and vauxhall - light weight and both capable of 200+ bhp for not silly money. Both are usable on the road without problems and both are good on trackdays and unless you are very talented at driving you will be the limiting factor on how fast these cars are around the track.

.....but if you are going to use the car for predominantly track, then a BEC is far and away your cheapest option. A 10000+ revving engine mated to a 6 speed close ratio sequential dog box, through a lightweight clutch & flywheel for under 3 grand if it goes pop. Cost you that just for a gearbox in a CEC.

FWIW, I run a V8, & its for the track only, & would defy any BEC to keep up. IMHO it requires more driver input as the torque has to be treated with great respect both going up and down the box.You can use any car for the track only, but the BEC is the best and far away the most economical compromise. If I were using a car for road use only, I'd stick the plaid blanket & picnic hamper in & go for a V8 anyday, but a 'busa would be my choice for road and track.

Have a natter with Jeff C, he seems to have it right!

HTH

Tommo

Bike or V8 engine seem to be at opposite ends of the spectrum; interestingly when Westfield built there own trackday focused weapon (Sport 2000s) they chose a duratec engine.

Thats cause the V8 was not being supplied by PTP any more so supply was a problem.

Otherwise it would have been a V8  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :p  :p

Moomin is right.  You need one of these.  Someone brought a Caterham fitted with this engine on the USA tour.  The car was mind-warpingly fast and sounded amazing.  Of course for that price, it better...

-John