V8 or BEC

Edd

Moomin is right.  You need one of these.  Someone brought a Caterham fitted with this engine on the USA tour.  The car was mind-warpingly fast and sounded amazing.  Of course for that price, it better...

-John

Oh my god a V8 BEC engine.

Does anyone know if that can be fitted to a Westfield succesfully?

How well did it go on track compared to say a megabusa and even more so a megabusa turbo as i will probably go down the turbo route eventually...

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Edd

• Bazzer

• V 8

• JeffC

Top Posters In This Topic

If Barry can fit that humungous engine in his car, then I can't imagine an RSTV8 would give you much trouble.  I didn't see the car on the track, so no idea how it goes compared to a megabusa or turbo busa, but given that it has about 400hp and the engine transmission combo is reasonably light, I guess it would go pretty well.  Of course there is a huge price for that performance.  As I recall, the engine goes for around 20k GBP plus another 3-5k GBP for the transmission :0  I imagine you could put together a pretty nice turbo busa for a bit less than that  ;)

-John

but given that it has about 400hp

errr.....ahem!!! :oops:

hmm £25k for engine and box.

Think i could have a nice turbo'd busa engine and a lot of change!!!!!!!!!!!!

Still sounds like an awesome engine and setup though

Any one else got opinions on this engine?

Any one else got opinions on this engine?

Might find that it don't last too long between re-builds, especially if you go racing... :oops:  :suspect:  :blues:  :down:  :arse:  :D

Have a natter with Jeff C, he seems to have it right!

I think Jeff has basically said in this thread that his combo is a pain on the road and puts him off anything other than local runs.

I built a Peugeot 205 for purely track days and loved it but at £100-200/trackday it was a very expensive toy sat in the garage most of the time as I could only afford 1 trackday a month.

I sold the peugeot and built the Westfield as I waanted a car for using on the road as well as the track and it fits the bill perfectly. It is a nice idea to have just a trackday car but unless you have the disposable cash it is very expensive.

I fell into the trap and it cost serious money to get out of it.(Built peugeot circa £15000; sold it for £9000; built westfield circa £19,000; would have been cheeper to go the Westfield route initially)

I wouldn't recommend anything you are thinking of as a trackday car but would recommend the XTR2 or similar.

Sorry a bit slow to spot this thread but..

:durr:

Is this that V8 I read about in one of the mags ages back, based on two R1 block/heads on a new crankcase? obviously with new injection/management.

Going back to the crux of this thread though..

I wanted am 80/20 road/track car, and coming from many years on bikes I was all on for buying a s/h Busa, run it for a summer whilst building a Westy to plonk it in over the winter.

Simon @ Westfield, a couple of drives, and a lot of research left me with the conclusion that a cec, namely a Duratec 2000sport was for me. So my wallet is a lot lighter :xmas:

the busa engine gives decent torque and pulls well round the town, the biggest issue I have with my car on the road is the racket from the reverse box  :bangshead:  :bangshead: If you buy a Busa with the Quaife reverse box they are slightly better, or if you are lucky enough to get one with the blackbird box(think thats what its called) (filler on oppisite side anyway,) they are a lump quieter almost normal !  To improve mine for road im thinking of an electric system..  :t-up: clutch is tricky at first but heavier springs and loads of practise gets you used to it  :D

I have just had a drive in my mates busa, without him i might add,I could not believe it.I am still looking for my cheeks. both sets.

if you decide on a busa you will need one of these to cope with the power   busa

if you are buying A v8 I would recomend one of these   v8

:D  :D  :D  :D  :p  :p   :devil:

Yep you will need one of those for the standard 200bhp V8s but when you get with 290bhp + boys well that’s a different all together.

If you buy BEC you will need fitness training on your left leg & left arm as you be sick of changing gear as the BEC hair dryer have no torque. My V8 has more torque at tick-over 180ft/lbs@750rpm than most BECs and CEC  at full chat…and with 290Bhp I still get 30MPG.

The BECs are a great track day car especially on tight twisty tracks and they sound great  I've driven both not yet owned a BEC but that’s in the wings .

The V8 is a great GT car and that’s what I bought mine for, munching the miles! And it does it very effectively and at 30 mpg (EFi )

I know what I'd choose for the road, every time, but this is my personal opinion.

If you can put up with the constant noise &  gear changing go for a BEC other wise stick with a 4/8 pot

Buzz  

:D

My V8 has more torque at tick-over 180ft/lbs@750rpm than most BECs and CEC  at full chat…and with 290Bhp I still get 30MPG

busa only has 102 lbs feet at 10k   :(  :(  :(  :zzz:  :zzz:  :down:  :down:

me owld diesel runabout may give it a run for its money though 422 lbs feet at 2200 rpm over 160mph and 50 mpg ;)  :D  :D  :D

ebay066.jpg

Kin'ell Jeff thats Huuuuuuugh amount of torque what was it A 3.0ltr Beemer /Audi? Mine max 's @ 331ft/lbs @5800rpm. I saw you in the car at Hairywood You were just on your way out for a run it looked really cool with the paint job. I only stopped for around 35 mins I'd bin in to see John fish's V8 Then I was off back home (10mins down the road) to watch the F1 Monaco GP

Buzz

Hmm slightly torn now, seems a high powered Duratec is a plausible option for track and a bit of road  :bangshead:

Get yer wallet out then...........................