Tyre Choice

Animal

I must admit i do find the search hard to use sometimes- normally takes ages to load up with the related topics, and never really the exact question i am asking. I always get helpful answers posted up by people if i just ask a question, which is the only reason i joined this forum  :D This site has been a great help! (still not sva`d yet though :bangshead: )

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Animal

• adhawkins

• Darrell O'Neill

• Blatman

Here is something I have found to completely and utterly revolutionise search effectiveness:

Towards the bottom, select

Search in…… 'TOPIC TITLES' instead of the *default* which is 'TOPIC TITLES AND POSTS'

In my opinion, if this was the default, it would solve a *lot* of search problems. Think about it; type in 'tyres', search in 'TOPIC TITLES AND POSTS' and, yes, you will return every single post ever made :)

I made this mistake for a long time.

HTH

Martin

The problem is tyre performance is subjective, and a lot depends on if the nut holding the wheel can actually tell what's going on. For instance, a tail happy car might be tyres or it might be springs or rear toe or dampers too stiff or the rear is too high compared to the front or there is simply too much air in the tyres. Unless you can really feel what is going on *and* are able to make an accurate diagnosis, you could easily mistake one condition for another and decide that the tyres are crap when in fact your rear toe is miles out.

Having decided the tyres are crap you fit sticky tyres and find a load of grip, so you remain convinced that your diagnosis was correct when in fact all you have done is mask one trait with another.

Blue sky thinking, cooking with gas, thinking outside the box etc...

You could at least give the Newbie's a starting point so they are not pestering the more experienced members with questions which they are obviously fed up answering. Then once they have a bit of confidence they may ask further in depth questions.

I for instance, as a total Westy novice have picked up that there are a couple of models of the Toyo tyre which are ideal for fast road where as the 888 model is more of a track tyre (but the sump may need baffling as it's a sticky tyre). There are also Yokohama and Avon options.

I would not have any idea of the problems you identified as I have never had a performance vehicle with suspension and handling which was so adaptable.... I would / will have to rely on the help of an expert, until I build my knowledge up to a acceptable level! I can see that Blatman is well experienced and has been round the block a few times and I would readily accept his advice, infact if he told me to fit wheel barrow tyres I would believe him  :D

This forum, like many other forums is invaluable to newbies to introduce them to new concepts and build up their confidence and knowledge. Everybody has to start somewhere!

Some forums have a specific areas just for tyres and oils, if anybody gets the chance to have a look at the Type R forum, I would suggest a peak as it's rather good.

Thanks for your thoughts guys.....

Decided to go for 205 on the front 225 on the rear if they will fit on proxies.

I think:)

Animal

Unless you have a *large* amount of power, I'd stick to 195-50's all round.

That's what I run on my ~190bhp road car.

For my ~240bhp sprint car, I really can't see me needing anything much bigger than a 205, although maybe I'll think about 225's on the rear and 205's on the front if grip is really missing. But I doubt it...

The other reason to run the same size tyre all round is that you can rotate them front to rear to maintain even wear patterns. Tyres can be too big y'know, and that presents the same problems as tyres that are too small, namely, not enough grip...

You could at least give the Newbie's a starting point so they are not pestering the more experienced members with questions which they are obviously fed up answering. Then once they have a bit of confidence they may ask further in depth questions.

There really are only two or three choices for radial tyres on a Westfield. If you want proper grip but *very* average life span, the Toyo R888's or Yokohama AO48's are what you want, or maybe, just maybe the Kumho V70's.

If you want decent grip but want to maintain better tyre life expectancy, then Toyo T1R's or Yoko A539's are probably the best choices. Yes I've ignored Avon CR500's 'cos they are expensive and IMHO don't offer enough of an "advantage" to justify the high price.

If you want grip at the expense of almost everything else, then Avon ACB10's are the answer, but you need to modify your suspension settings to suit their crossply construction.

And yes, there is a FAQ for tyres...

Cheers bit of a choice there.

I have 205 allaround now and i thought a wider tyre at the rear would fill the arch better.

Regards Paul

My 195's fill the arches just nicely.

1556.jpeg

ET37 wheels with 15mm spacers, which means the offset is actually ET22. It's an SEiW with detachable arches, and that copper stopped me to compliment me on my tyre/arch ratio, and to point out that I may not quite have enough grip :0

In my opinion, if this was the default, it would solve a *lot* of search problems.

That relies on people using meaningful topic titles. Unfortunately that isn't always the case...

Andy

In my opinion, if this was the default, it would solve a *lot* of search problems.

That relies on people using meaningful topic titles. Unfortunately that isn't always the case...

Andy

agreed, but it is still miles better than the alternative; better to miss a few posts with incorrect title, than to return a huge list of results with only 1 in 10 being relevant.

Scudo stunners are said to be another good road tyre too, quite soft & reasonable price, Ash used em for a bit....

Cr500's can be found at really good prices if you know where to look ????

and who might be racing on them :D;)

No secrets here please ???  :D