Tyre Choice

Animal

S'funny...I don't think we've ever talked about tyres on here have we? ???

Anyone remember?

Andy

He started it.....  :devil:  :devil:  :devil:

Wish i had'nt :p  :p

I wish you had'nt too, now......  :D  :D

It's brightned up my evening.

LOL

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Animal

• adhawkins

• Darrell O'Neill

• Blatman

Yeah, can't beat a bit of a 'discussion' to keep the old brain cells working.

:)

Andy

Umm...

Either:

a) That's a joke (no smileys...)

b) You haven't been in the FAQ section recently.

???

Andy

:p

Tsk, some people can't even use the emoticons properly :bangshead:

Andy

:p

Tsk, some people can't even use the emoticons properly :bangshead:

Andy

A FAQ candidate then  :p  :D  :D  :D

In fact, I have a sneaking suspicion we need a FAQ telling you how to use the FAQ  :bangshead:  :bangshead:  :bangshead:  :oops:  :sheep:  :durr:  :down:  :D  :D  :D

How about some management speak?

Lets draw a line in the sand and start a fresh, let's run a few ideas up the flag pole and salute them!!:D

As a fairly new member to the Westfield scene all the tyre info would be very useful to me in the future, when it comes to putting the shoes on my car.

May I suggest something in the form of a pole which could be turned into a FAQ. It could be split into groups such as Track tyres (dry and wet), Fast road tyre, Normal / Winter / Wet tyres (for the sensible drivers). The tyre could then have an S, M, H (soft, medium or hard) intial for it's compound / wear rate. Maybe even have some kind of a star rating depending how you felt the tyre performed in their use???

This could be updated regularly but heavily trimmed to stop loads of drivel and extra posts being tagged onto it!!

What do you think, too much work or would it be useful? Let's put it in the idea stew :D

I think the FAQ and the search facility is a good idea but i also feel that new members feel their way into the community by asking questions that have maybe been asked before! How do we expect them to feel welcome if we all say "do a search its been covered before". This site is a font of never ending knowledge but isn't it also a social place? On one of the forums i frequent people won't answer a question if the answer can be found elswhere on the site, its not a very sociable site but is very informative.

?????????:)

How about some management speak?

Lets draw a line in the sand and start a fresh, let's run a few ideas up the flag pole and salute them!!:D

As a fairly new member to the Westfield scene all the tyre info would be very useful to me in the future, when it comes to putting the shoes on my car.

May I suggest something in the form of a pole which could be turned into a FAQ. It could be split into groups such as Track tyres (dry and wet), Fast road tyre, Normal / Winter / Wet tyres (for the sensible drivers). The tyre could then have an S, M, H (soft, medium or hard) intial for it's compound / wear rate. Maybe even have some kind of a star rating depending how you felt the tyre performed in their use???

This could be updated regularly but heavily trimmed to stop loads of drivel and extra posts being tagged onto it!!

What do you think, too much work or would it be useful? Let's put it in the idea stew :D

The problem is tyre performance is subjective, and a lot depends on if the nut holding the wheel can actually tell what's going on. For instance, a tail happy car might be tyres or it might be springs or rear toe or dampers too stiff or the rear is too high compared to the front or there is simply too much air in the tyres. Unless you can really feel what is going on *and* are able to make an accurate diagnosis, you could easily mistake one condition for another and decide that the tyres are crap when in fact your rear toe is miles out.

Having decided the tyres are crap you fit sticky tyres and find a load of grip, so you remain convinced that your diagnosis was correct when in fact all you have done is mask one trait with another.

Blue sky thinking, cooking with gas, thinking outside the box etc...

I think the FAQ and the search facility is a good idea but i also feel that new members feel their way into the community by asking questions that have maybe been asked before! How do we expect them to feel welcome if we all say "do a search its been covered before".

This particular 'new member' has 254 posts to his name...

If it were a complete newbie, believe me, I'd have been more helpful.

Andy