Alpha Engine Management/Throttle Bodies

johnsubaru

What's so special about your ECU that makes it unmappable by anyone but Weber?

That was really poorly phrased and doesn't read like I meant it to. Sorry

Why am I so convinced they can? 'Cos they say they can, and unless there is something unusual about your ECU, I don't see why they couldn't do yours. I would hope that if your ECU is unusal in some way that you would know...

As for me wanting to promote NMS, I have seen Troy working his magic several times *and* I am a satisfied customer to the point where, when I need to get my DTA mapped on the Cossie, I'm going to Troy, despite him being some way off being my nearest rolling road. In fact there are probably 8 or 9 that are closer but after seeing Troy do his thing, it's a no brainer...

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Blatman

• conibear

• johnsubaru

• perksy

What's so special about your ECU that makes it unmappable by anyone but Weber?

the map tables are most likely encrypted.  Common, especially with stuff like pectel add in boards for webber marelli ecu's.  Means, even if you can access the maps directly from the com lead you can't change anything untill you've cracked the encryption.

NMS are Weber Alpha agents though. Why would they not have the necessary access?

It's gotta be worth a call to Troy surely? He may be able to help. He'll certainly be able to offer you some decent advice if nothing else...

But if Southern Carb's (5 miles from me) can't remap it, why can TROY. I'm sure you know Southern Carb's relationship with Mr Webcon ???

Nope. I had one trip to Southern Carbs some years ago. They were unhelpful. Maybe they just don't like Westfields, maybe they just didn't need the business. Who knows? I do know I won't be bothering them again...

I don't know why any agents cannot remap my Duratec ECU :bangshead:  I have been told it has to go Webcon and that is why I am trying to sell this ******g thing

Is that a PROM?

Blimey. I can't believe there are aftermarket ECUs on the market based on that technology any more. When every other system is based on flash memory so you can plug in a Lap top and rewrite the map as many times as you want, change parameters on the fly while running on the rollers, even upgrade the firmware in the box to take advantage of new features, etc. physically changing chips is back in the stone age!

If the price were half that of an Emerald, DTA, etc. I'd be giving it a wide berth.

Kevin

I'm beginning to think the Alpha range is more aimed at small volume production cars than the kit car market. In that market, for warranty reasons, there is an incentive to make the unit as difficult as possible to remap - at least without having to break the seals and change the chip, leaving physical evidence of what you've done.

It's a shame Westfield are fitting them really - unless they're happier from a warrantly point of view to sell something that's a pain in the @rse to remap.

If you ever want to ditch it for a Megasquirt I might be able to offer some advice.

Kevin

Kevin, I think you've hit the nail on the head, it means that when they supply an engine package they know that the map is locked down and is very conservative so won't let you do anything too daft.  If an engine goes pop then I'm sure they'll poke at the ECU and look at the tell-tales and check to see if you've done something silly like downshift into 2nd rather than 4th and over-revved it.  It also means that they're able to stock a single unit and buy in bulk to maximise their profit margins.

I have to say if I was westfield I'd want to supply a protected ECU but I would probably give out the software and unlock code on request on the proviso that from that point on you weren't covered by the warranty.  The only potential issue is that people would be bound to remap their engines and get more power and a better running engine which would make the factory setup look dodgy.  This seems to be a point of real consternation in the caterham world but by all acounts their factory ecu maps seem to be absolutely dire.