Should I fit LSD?

detailer

Remeber If you lose controll of the rear end with an open diff chances are you wont recover and the car will spin posibly hitting something (Matt Williams would agree with this after are auto test session last year his is a open diff about to be changed to an ATB) with the ATB in the diff you will be able to recover 9 times out of ten if not all.

errr why

because when you start to spin you have two wheels driving not just the one spinning in the air sucking all the power up. and therefor the car is more progresive, predictable and above all contolable.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• detailer

• Blatman

• James

• Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Chairman

I was one who was erring away from suggesting having an LSD for road use as I was finding the back would step out a little in situations where it didn't before.  What I've found now is that it does just step out a relatively small amount, and it doesn't appear to be the start of a big moment.  The traction I could get last Sunday morning on wet, grit laden roads with ice at the edges was amazing. The LSD really did work and give me the traction and the car was very stable.  I did only 'test' this when there was loads of space available in case of any problems :D as the roads weren't the best they could be for a blat :0

Glad to read that James has got one fitted now and found it of great benefit - sorry for the alternative picture I gave before!

:) Latest update.  Spoke to mechanic who has raced for years.  Said that racing westfields run on live axel and not to use LSD or ATB as it will make the rear lively which explains James's problems spinning going into roundabouts.

Looks like Live axel the best way.  Mechanic said LSD good on heavier car but not on Seven type motor ???

Raced what? Lawn mowers...

Your mechanic friend is talking utter and complete rubbish. I wouldn't let him near my car unless he was offering to wash it, and even then I'd worry...

<!--emo&:) Latest update.  Spoke to mechanic who has raced for years.  Said that racing westfields run on live axel and not to use LSD or ATB as it will make the rear lively which explains James's problems spinning going into roundabouts.

Looks like Live axel the best way.  Mechanic said LSD good on heavier car but not on Seven type motor ???

Your mechanic friend is talking utter and complete rubbish. I wouldn't let him near my car unless he was offering to wash it, and even then I'd worry...

I agree. I wouldn't even let him wash my car.

Get off the fence Blatman, tell him what you really think

:) Latest update.  Spoke to mechanic who has raced for years.  Said that racing westfields run on live axel and not to use LSD or ATB

Interesting, I hadn't realised that. I will remove mine tonight.

<!--emo&:) Latest update.  Spoke to mechanic who has raced for years.  Said that racing westfields run on live axel and not to use LSD or ATB as it will make the rear lively which explains James's problems spinning going into roundabouts.

:D  :D  :D  :D LOL :D

Interesting, I hadn't realised that. I will remove mine tonight.

I'll swap you for my bog standard one :D

They're far better for racing, if you ever do any of that.  :D  :D  Or at least that's what I was told by my mate.  :devil:

I have been considering the change and if I had a Live Axle i would be convinced by what I have read.

Would I get similar benefit from the change in a SEIW if so what am I looking for?

Car is mostly road but was used in the 2005 speed series, cashflow prevents that this year but probably will enter again next year. BTW have posted before about problems with traction of the line.

I have been considering the change and if I had a Live Axle i would be convinced by what I have read.

Would I get similar benefit from the change in a SEIW if so what am I looking for?

Car is mostly road but was used in the 2005 speed series, cashflow prevents that this year but probably will enter again next year. BTW have posted before about problems with traction of the line.

Yes but it's much cheaper just to go for Ford Viscouse(Sp) diff

lots of westfields race with live axle non lsd cos the regs usually state you can't have one. i'd love one if i could use it but i can't  :(

??? We don't struggle with wheels spinning in the dry (apart from maybe coming out of the chicanes at Oulton Park and hairpin at Anglesey).  I was only looking at the LSD/ATB option if it would be safer in the wet for my crazy brother  ;)

I don't want the back end rolling all over the place feeling loose if the LSD/ATB gives that handling characteristic as my driving style is very smooth and in control.  However if the car will remain pointy and sharp but with the benefit of better traction out of tight turns I will get one.  :cool:

I'm not into doghnuts or a**ing round doing big power slides. ???

Ive got a live axle'd Locost with an R1 in it and fitting an ATB has made a big positive difference, handling is just as pointy but the back end has more grip coming out of virtually all types of slow / mid speed corner. Also check your ride-heights though, I dropped mine just over half an inch as the back end still felt a bit twitchy and it made even more difference than fitting the ATB, I could get on the power so much earlier in the corner without having to constantly correct the back end.

Chris

So if I fit ATB I don't need a soft setup on the rear? ???

Nah, just in the driver's seat :oops: