Should I fit LSD?

detailer

:) Hi guys, I'm after opinions on this one.

Do I fit LSD to my live axel Xflow? It currently has around 150 bhp now after engine mods for this year (had 130 last year).  Quaife box and 3:5 RS2000 diff also fitted.

It is used for road and track use and is fun to drive (in the dry) allowing for plenty of opposite lock on demand.

If I get LSD fitted will this kill the "fun" or make the car "better"?  Better not being it will be faster around the track but less fun to drive.

The car is awful in the wet but then are'nt all westies due to weight/power/rear drive? Or will the car be much improved in the wet?

Help I need advice! :0

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• detailer

• Blatman

• James

• Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Chairman

The car is awful in the wet but then are'nt all westies

Er, no, mines certainly nor awfull in the wet, (or slippy conditions for that matter). Thats not to say you can't provoke it into stepping the back end out, but then you can do that in the dry  :D  if you've a mind to.

Mine's an SEi with a 2l XE on TB's and a Sierra lsd, I've never had an open dif in it, so in fairness couldn't compare it, all I can say is with the lsd in, I get excellent traction, and if, (OK when  :p ) the rear starts to move around, it's always very predictable. I'd cetainly always go for an lsd, but it's worth doing a search on the topic as it's been raised a couple of times and theres some really usefull stuff thats come up previously - particularly WRT live axle cars.

I went from an open diff to a Sierra VC LSD last year and am very pleased with the improvement.  I made the move in an effort to improve traction, but was surprised by how much it affected the car's willingness to be steered with the throttle.  I always considered the car quite adjustable from this perspective, but with the LSD in place, it has given the term throttle steer a whole new meaning.  I can also do donuts now :D   Highly recommended!

-John

...with 150bhp, you'll DEFINITELY see an improvement with an LSD - you'll see a massive improvement in grip out  of 2nd gear corners and much more controllable sideways fun.

If it is intended for the road, I would suggest the Quaife ATB type rather than the plate type diff units. THe plates need setting for your car and make quite an unsetteling noise, the ATB is fit and forgett.

If it is intended for the road, I would suggest the Quaife ATB type rather than the plate type diff units. THe plates need setting for your car and make quite an unsetteling noise, the ATB is fit and forgett.

Everything i've read about the ATB's surgests thats the way to go, but due to lack of funds I havn't gone that way yet  :down: .

Kirk

Not sure where u lot who cant afford an LSD are looking, but i got mine for about £20, from a scrappy.

:D

Bet you cant get it into a live axle though... ;)

I had an open diffed xflow narrow live axled car and now have a viscous lsd in my wide, irs v8. I much prefer the lsd in the v8 as it makes full bore launches from the traffic lights leave two black lines and symetrical smoke patterns.

I didn't think either car was particularly bad in the wet but the v8 does make me slightly nervous on occasions because when the wheels skip over something they tend to spin up but with the lsd it's normally pretty controllable, stays mostly in a straight line and reacts well to the instinctive correction attempts. I'd be loathed to go back to an open diff on any rwd car after experiencing this.

Regards,

Mark

I run a Trax-X plate LSD in a live axle for hillclimb/sprint, a bit of a "rally man's tool" but works well so long as set light (say 35lbs) otherwise it promotes understeer.

For road use though as everyone suggests go torque biasing. The only disadvantage is they don't work when you lift a wheel, but you shouldn't be doing that with a Westy.

(watch someone prove me wrong with a pic!;)