Should I fit LSD?

detailer

:) Yes the setup has been changed since the wet weather spins.  The back end was very lively in the wet.  This was probably down to:

(a) a very stiff setup (we have since had/now understand how to back the Spax off)

(b) 10 year old tyres (Toyo R888's now fitted)

We have not run the car in the wet since, so will ATB make much difference?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• detailer

• Blatman

• James

• Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Chairman

Do any race teams remove LSD's for wet races because open diffs are better in the wet?

Stop procrastinating and get yer spanners out...

I changed from a open diff to a LSD last year, and after having some teathing problems I am now very pleased with the diffrence this makes to the car.

It is VERY predictable the front end will understeer when pushed into a corner but if you have the bottle to press the go pedal the front end will imediatly tuck in tight to the corner and the back whips out on oversteer which is incredaibly controlable :D ! I did go around a bend early this year, the conditions were damp and there must have been some diesel on the road because the back end just ripped out from underneth me, no drama though a little oposite lock and all was under control I swear if I had the open diff I would have lost it!

You will also notice you can exit corners and round abouts alot quicker cos you can put the power down and of course doughnuts are  :cool:

I personelly would not go back to an open diff and blatters is right about this you wont be disipointed!

You may however have to tweek your suspenion to make it all work well, and as has already been sugested I would think about changing shocks, I had to a just mine to make the ATB diff work properley, with standard springs the back end slid out to easily my setup ended at new front and rear avo's with 280lbs springs front and 100lbs springs rear (If you do decide to change shocks make sure they are valved for the correct poundage springs that you intend to use).

Do any race teams remove LSD's for wet races because open diffs are better in the wet?

I don't know the answer to this question.  I don't watch many race teams in the wet or dry hence posting a question in the Newbies section.   :blush:

I just don't want to go to the hassle of fitting ATB/LSD if the car will drive no better.  :durr:

So in plain laymans terms would you fit LSD or ATB if you were in my shoes Batman?

PS: Where's Robin tonight  ;)

So in plain laymans terms would you fit LSD or ATB if you were in my shoes Batman?

You're missing an 'L'...

Andy

You'll be missing a lot more than a letter if Blatters catches up with you :D

Fit the ATB. Whilst we're into acronyms the one thing that race teams will do in the wet is slacken off or remove the rear ARB... you do have ARB's fitted don't you?  :D

the one thing that race teams will do in the wet is slacken off or remove the rear ARB... you do have ARB's fitted don't you?

Do they ?

I don't know the answer to this question.  I don't watch many race teams in the wet or dry hence posting a question in the Newbies section.   :blush:

I just don't want to go to the hassle of fitting ATB/LSD if the car will drive no better.  :durr:

I would (and did) fit an ATB. The car *will* drive better than with an open diff. We took some time to convince James a while back. Have a look at this, rather long, thread and compare what he was thinking then with what he thinks now...

:D Cheers Blatters.  Just wanted to know if it was worth the cash which it looks to be.

ATB on order it is then!

Fit the ATB. Whilst we're into acronyms the one thing that race teams will do in the wet is slacken off or remove the rear ARB... you do have ARB's fitted don't you?

No ARB on the rear just the front.  I have been advised to slacken the suspension in the wet to improve things as well.  The car was running a dry setup (rock solid) when we were running in the wet (and brother was swapping ends!;). :blush:

i have all three in my car over the years.

open /plate/and ATB.

with the plate type i noticed it the most,car felt more sure footed.but even with it set at 37% slip got a lot of under steer around corners in normally driving and pushing it.

tyres used to screech when turning corners.

with the ATB fitted to tell the truth i cant tell no difference in normal driving ,from a open diff.until you drive it hard .

you will have better starts very controlable power slides, dounuts if you want.

one thing you will have to be carful with ,is when first fitted they can catch you at in the wet.

if you give it to much right foot coming out a corner and car begins to  lose grip on both wheels and you go slideways

let of the gas and reapply .because the atb will betrying to find best grip to to wheels and when it finds it if you still side ways and you got you foot on gas will launch you in to a spin.

but once you get used to it .let the fun begin.

plus its fit and forget

:p

I would (and did) fit an ATB. The car *will* drive better than with an open diff. We took some time to convince James a while back. Have a look at this, rather long, thread and compare what he was thinking then with what he thinks now...

Yep I needed alot of convincing as I did not wish to waste the money if there was no real gain to be had, I am now VERY glad I did it and I would not go back to an open diff.

I would question the requirment for a rear ARB, mine dosnt have a front or a rear ARBm, I wouldent argue that  A front ARB can help handling but IMHO they are not an esential requirment depending on the driving you intend to do (Mine is road use only) I also personaly feel that a softer setup can give more gains than a rock hard setup esspecialy with a live axel car you need the axel and suspension to be working rather  than locked solid, this is why I changed my rear springs for 100lbs this alows the suspension to move whereas with a firm setup theres no give and that can promote the rear end to want to go side way's just my opinon of course. :D

the one thing that race teams will do in the wet is slacken off or remove the rear ARB... you do have ARB's fitted don't you?

Do they ?

Not if you have any wings or ground effect... on a westfield... maybe.  :)

:( Sheeesh.  I've just read that 13 page forum James!

I think fitting the ATB could give me major headaches so I'm going to leave as the last job.  I personally have never spun the car in the wet and love the dry handling round all the tracks we do.

It seems that the shocker stiffness can be a big deal.  I would only consider ATB if gave better traction in the wet which doesn't seem to be the case. :cool:

We have already spent 2.5k over winter on mods and I understand totally with your posts about "money running away with it" and "where do you draw the line". It's okay for some of these middle aged engineer boffins who have plenty of wedge and no commitments like wife, young family etc.. ;)