No pressure

CrashBangWallop

Warm the sump (and the oil in it) with a heat gun/hairdryer/fan heater. That will help with the viscosity. This was a required action on one of the GT racing vipers my brother worked on, even in the summer. They ended up fitting a kettle element to the DS tank which they would plug in for 10 minutes before initial start up. Seen it with my own eyes...

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CrashBangWallop

• scruffythefirst

• markcoopers

• Martin Keene

Tried them all but, back-filling it through turbo oil-feed.  I'll try that tonight... depending on what time I get away from work (2nd milestone this week :( )

Still no pressure.

If you win enough fivers ,Mark. You can start to make up some papier-mache and create a new body and nose-cone to replace the ones you destroyed :D

If you've filled it through the filter hole, then start it, its either going to get pressure or do a clarkson and were all dying to find out which.......

sorry :down::p:p:p:p:D

If you've filled it through the filter hole, then start it, its either going to get pressure or do a clarkson and were all dying to find out which.......

Something tells me blowing an engine is going to become know as 'Doing a Clarkson'...

Was quite spectacular though!

:D

I got oil pressure this afternoon - plugged all the connectors back in and started it up.

The same noise was apparent and still sounded like it was coming from the head.

A friend had came round with various listening gadgetry, stuck a pair of head-phones on and went probing.  He's 99% happy that the block is fine; the overly-loud tapping is coming from the head and is louder towards one end than the other.  His suggestion was to whip the cam-cover off and check for any wear on the cam lobes.

Ultimately, he said that a new cam and followers will set me back 200'ish quid and I might as well go for a sporty road version.  That'll depend on price.

One step at a time, though.

Neil

It could be a stuck hydraulic lifter causing the noise, if the cam looks OK you could "borrow" the lifters from the other engine you have to see if the noise goes away.

Chaz.

It could be a stuck hydraulic lifter causing the noise, if the cam looks OK you could "borrow" the lifters from the other engine you have to see if the noise goes away.

Chaz.

I've got a perfectly working 14k milage engine in my garage.  I don't want to start pulling major bits off it to fix my in-car entertainment. :-)

Muddybum (?!?) I ran the engine for a few minutes making the tappety-tap-tap noise. Considering how much I thought it was going to cost me, I'd rather just change them, anyway.

Thanks