No pressure

CrashBangWallop

Not on a CVH - dizzy is on the end of the camshaft!  

Well thats not fair :D  Get a cossie, then you wouldnt have this problem :cool:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CrashBangWallop

• scruffythefirst

• markcoopers

• Martin Keene

dont run it without oil pressure.

you can f### turbo bearings in literaly just a few seconds, all it takes then is for the pressure side turbine to hit the casing, shatter and send bits into the chambers.

chances are the big ends are knackered

Try removing the oil filter, blocking all but one of the engine breathers and blowing down the remaining breather or gently pressurising the crankcase with an airline.

The pressure on the oil in the sump will force it up through the oil pump and out of the filter mounting. When you get oil here replace the oil filter and crank immediately. This worked for me when I had a problem priming the pump on my Zetec. If this doesn't work I'd suspect the relief valve is stuck open or something has failed internally.

Kevin

I managed to split an oil-pipe a month or so ago and ran the engine without oil until it started making a nasty banging noise

I limped home in fifth for about three minutes.

I suspect you will be needing to take that engine out and get it checked over. I could be wrong (however in this instance thats unlikely).

I suspect you will be needing to take that engine out and get it checked over. I could be wrong (however in this instance thats unlikely).

Does that mean I have to go drag another one out of a fiesta on someones drive :0:p

There's a fair chance of it, Hugh.  Are you up for a shuttle-run in the next couple of months? :D

Carl,  my turbo seems to have survived.  There's still no play in the shaft and it doesn't seem to be sticking when I spin it.

Kevin, a few people hav ementioned the pressure-release valve.  Why would it stick open?  Does it vent excess pressure to atmosphere? Once it's stuck, it's not pressurising the pump, correct?  I'm going to try that tomorrow.

Guy Forks, Mark?  I've no idea.  However... Guy Fawkes might not have been! :p

I must be having a bad week - the crank on my pedal-bike sheared on the way to the pub tonight.  pi55ing donw with rain, too.  Not a happy bunny this week.

Oh well.  You live and learn.  Chin up an' all that! :D:D

Neil

I must be having a bad week - the crank on my pedal-bike sheared on the way to the pub tonight.  pi55ing donw with rain, too.  Not a happy bunny this week.

could be worse, you could have condensation in your loft :p:D

Personally I am with Kevin on this. The lack of little bits of bearing in the sump and filter suggests that it did hold together. you just need to get it primed.

I might be tempted to drain what you have back into the bottle, put a few litres of flushing oil in (very thin, so easier to suck up), then try the pressuring technique that Kevin suggested.

Crank to get some pressure, if pressure start and warm up. DO NOT DRIVE. drain sump and refill with the stuff you saved from earlier, start and drive. You'll also have cleaned a load of sludge out the engine (not always a good thing, as you then find all the oil leaks)

If the pump has gotten dry (as my DS one does) and the rotors do not have a nice coat of oil, then they cannot create the low pressure required to lift from the sump.

If the pump has gotten dry (as my DS one does) and the rotors do not have a nice coat of oil, then they cannot create the low pressure required to lift from the sump.
 Another way to do it is to remove the filter, fill the sump through the filter hole (hosepipe and funnel req) and that should prime the pump.

I did a bit of welding on the Neil's sump and can confirm that there did not appear to be any bearing material/swarf in there.

As there is pressure (so the turbo bearings won't get dammaged) I'd start it up and see.

My guess is with the pump being fairly dry it's having trouble sucking up the oil which is extra viscouse because it's been so cold recently.

Back filling the pump through the oil filter take off has worked for me in the past, it's worth giving it a try.

Chaz.

Loads of things to try.  Thanks very much guys.  It's most appreciated.  Even Mark's sarcasm helps raise a smile.

On a good note... I do now have a brand-spanking new aluminium MTB in the garage - about half the weight of my old bike.  Although, the money I've just paid for it could have bought me another engine.  Still... one can't live in Cambridge without one.  It's the law or some old charter or something. :D

Neil