No pressure

CrashBangWallop

I managed to split an oil-pipe a month or so ago and ran the engine without oil until it started making a nasty banging noise. Whoops-a-daisy ???

I took the sump off - no nasty bits floating about inside, good start, hopefully

I took the oil filter off, cut the top off and checked the filter - no nasty, silvery bits in that either.  More good news, I think.

I should add that I have welded (or Chaz) a pipe into the sump for the turbo oil-return.  It looks fairly solid to me.

I replaced the sump filled it full of oil and proceeded to crank the engine over.

Alrighty... Second flat battery and not a whimper of pressure and not a drop of oil on the garage floor. I'm starting to lose faith.

Is there a chance I've just left a gap in the sump gasket or would that have left some space for the oil to escape?

Should I unscrew the various oil pipes, one-by-one and see if it comes squirting out?  Tighten it back up... on to the next one. etc, etc.

Is there anything else it could be?  I've not removed any pipework other than the turbo oil-return... and that's not leaking either.

Thanks,

Neil :-/  (starting to cry)

:bangshead:  :bangshead:  :bangshead:  :(

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CrashBangWallop

• scruffythefirst

• markcoopers

• Martin Keene

You might as well start it cos I think the damage is already done.

When you get it repaired please add a nice big oil warning lamp on top of the dash. Only cost about £3 and saves hundreds.

The oil-filter was filled before I replaced it.

Plugs out? No, I'm not.  I've removed the wire to the coil-pack ,though.  It isn't firing. And the fuse to the fuel pump, too.

I limped home in fifth for about three minutes.  When I put the car into the garage there were quite a few pools of oil on the driveway.  I assume the last bits of oil caught by the oil pick-up.  I have the oil-warning lamp now.

If I've been lucky and got away with any catastrophic damage I don't want to start it up without the oil pressure.  I know whatever I've done, it's not good but, I'd like to give myself a fighting chance.

Thanks,

Neil

I managed to split an oil-pipe a month or so ago and ran the engine without oil until it started making a nasty banging noise. Whoops-a-daisy ???

Thanks,

Neil :-/  (starting to cry)

:bangshead:  :bangshead:  :bangshead:  :(

Has it got any Compression  ???

When you had the sump off did you take a look at the Big end/Main bearing shells furthest away fron the oil pump ???

Hope i'm wrong Mate but bit think it might well be terminal or very poorly  :down:

I never checked the bearings.  wouldn't know how to, to be honest.  I wanted to see what I could get away with first.  That particular problem has been suggested many times from the guys around me.

Luckily, This month seems to be fairly fruitful for RS turbo engines going onto ebay :)

I deliberately didn't do any work on the engine until I knew it worked.  So, if it has gone horribly wrong - I've only lost a couple of hundered quid.  It could have been a lot more :laugh:

If I've been lucky and got away with any catastrophic damage I don't want to start it up without the oil pressure.  I know whatever I've done, it's not good but, I'd like to give myself a fighting chance.

As Arm says. Turning it over on the starter is doing more damage than running it, as the oil pressure (if there is going to be) will appear much quicker.

But 'banging' sounds dont sound too good TBH. Fingers crossed, it might just be the 'now empty' hydraulic tappets. But be prepared for the worst. If there is worse damage than that, then I wouldnt worry about starting it. There will probably be very little to save compared to the price of a replacement... :(

good luck :t-up:

Neil, if you primed the filter before fitting you should get pressure before you flatten two batteries, even with the plugs in. As it's a bog standard RS lump, I vote for fire it and see what happens...

And it's EFI, so I've got an EDIS.  Been too busy at work.  It'll happen at the weekend.  Regardless of the outcome :0

Thanks for all your concerns.  Although, I bet you're all hoping for a big puff of black smoke and me being thrown across the street in a hail of sparks and engine oil

I unscrewed the oil-feed to the turbo tonight. and cranked the engine over. No oil coming through the lines.  Unscrewed the line to the remote filter and did the same.  Again, no oil.  It's been suggested that I should have a look at the oil pressure release valve.  I don't know what this is but, my guess is the threaded alan-key (sp?) bit on the oil pump.

Yes/No?

I'd check the Haynes manual, if I hadn't just got home nissed as a pewt! :D

Thanks,

Neil