Yoko A509

Molydood

why are you selling them, are they rubbish ;)

Far from it, they're in very good condition. They just sit too far inboard on my car. As they were supposed to be track wheels, I didn't want to be faffing around with spacers.

Andy

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Molydood

• adhawkins

• Blatman

• pete g

:D only joking Andy

thanks for the offer, if I get the wheel off this weekend will check offset, and brake pads while I am at it. Are the wheels light? any pictures? how much where you thinking of selling them for?

The wheels are these. Although they're marked up as ET5, measurements I've taken off them indicate an offset of around ET30.

I paid nearly £300 for them, and they've just say in my garage. I'd like to get £250 for the, but realistically I reckon I'd probably take £200.

Andy

Not sure how serious I am Andy, due to ever decreasing size of the 'car budget fund', and depends how much I spend getting the engine fully sorted, but I may be up for these if a few other things cost as little as I am hoping. I have a wide body, do I still need to take measurements or can we tell if they fit from this?

martin

My car is a widebody too, but one of the earlier kind. The only real way to tell would be to try them on your car.

Fancy a drive? :)

Andy

Moly. I have no experience of the tyre softener mentioned. BUT 509's were never grippy, even when new. AO48's are in a different league. Put the money you're going to spend on tyre softener towards the new tyres and dump the 509's.

Even with tyre softener, I think the 509's present a real risk of contributing to an accident, much more so than a new set of just about anything else that's round and black. Think about it. If it's easy to spin the rears 'cos the tyres are shagged, how easy will it be to lock the fronts up? Not good if you're braking to avoid something. Think of new tyres as a bit of insurance

i agree ao48s are in a different league to the 509's.

but believe me when i say that tyre grip stuff really works.

you can  it on old or new tyres to make them really sticky.

cant comment on other methods to make tyres softer.

it can even be used on Ao48 to make them softer.

:cool:

My 509's certainly aren't dangerous on the road, I could keep up with several 032/048 shod BECs during some rather spirited B road blatting at Le Mans last year, but would agree that on the track, the Yoko 32s/48s etc are a league apart in grip terms.

Chris

My concern with the tyre softener is what happens to the characteristics of the tyre after 10-15 hard laps. Unless the softeners fundamentally changes the tyres actual compound (and I can't see how it can), at some point I guess the grip will begin to decrease. It may not go all at once, but reducing grip levels at the time when you are just gaining some confidence and starting to press on can't be a good idea. I'd much rather a consistant set of new tyres running as the manufacturer intended...

tyre sofetner should last up to 2 weeks after each coat.

can give more than one coat .

have used it on both old and new tyes now .even tried it on me new r888

no problem on track days.

:D

I bought a set of 509s when I first put the car on the road getting on for 6 years ago and I think that was shortly before they were discontinued.

They were fine for road use and lasted well. There's more grip with the 539s I've just replaced them with but I wouldn't say it made a huge difference. Most of the difference can probably be accounted for by the fact that I've replaced worn tyres with new.

As to softening the tyres, any compound you apply is only going to affect the surface of the tyre. It won't penetrate very deeply, so the rubber you've treated will probably be gone in a couple of laps anyway. Better to remove the hard layer of rubber by doing a few laps and getting some heat into the tyres rather than softening them, I'd say. At least you know the grip can only get better that way!

Kevin

• 2 weeks later...

Are those yoko AO21's really that soft? If so are they pretty good in the wet?

The reason I ask is, that I just spent a day crawling round Silverstone in the wet on my O32R's and am after buying some wets, GOOD ONES.

Has anybody used the AO21's or anything better in the rain at speed?

Tony

They are originally designed as a race wet, so I would hope they'd be pretty good...

Another good wet is the Bridgestone by all accounts. CR28? ???

Andy

CR28 is an Avon tyre...

AO212 is probably in the ball park. Neither will be "fast", but both are probably better than AO32's and AO48's. The biggest problem our cars have in the wet is a lack of weight...