Yoko A509

Molydood

I have Yoko A509 tyres on my car (205/50/15V), I searched this forum, and the seven one, and can't seem to find any opinions on them. I don't want them on the car if they are not suitable, as I know how dangerous tyres can be if you put the wrong ones on.

Anybody know anything about them? They look like yoko 21s, are they the old version or something?

cheers

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Molydood

• adhawkins

• Blatman

• pete g

They are old and possibly past their best even if they do have sufficient tread depth to pass an MOT  ;)  ;)  :)

Still a decent tyre though. If funds are tight I wouldn't be looking to change them. If funds aren't tight the world's your lobster.... :D

hmmm. well I am on track in a months time, maybe I will use that as an opportunity to blitz them completely, then get some 21s put on :)

I did an airfield day on the 509s that were on my car when I got it. It was the middle of December, and the tyres had very little grip. Great fun though :)

Don't expect to use 21s as a track day tyre, they won't last long! :)

Andy

Ive got them (185/60-13") on a spare set of rims I use on the road / wet track days.

I bought wheels and tyres second hand from a chap on here about 2 years ago, since then they have probably done 3-4k road miles, a couple of wet track days and two 1/4 mile drag race days where they were subjected to about 12 burnouts and 12 "energetic" standing starts. Despite all that they still have about the same tread depth as they did when I bought them!  :bangshead:

I really don't rate them though, in the wet they aren't great and in the damp/dry they are not predictable at all on the limit, as soon as the back end goes you need to get off the power, you can't hold them on the power at all. OK for a road tyre, but no good on the track in any conditions.

Chris

Yes, the 509 is a precursor to the 539. 539s have been around for ages, so the 509s he's got are likely to be very old. They'll have gone rock hard by now (mine had).

Got rid of them at the earliest opportunity :)

Get some 21Rs, they're about 40 quid each :t-up:

Andy

thanks all. Chris, what do you run as a track tyre? I was thinking yoko 48 or 21, but looks like they may dissapear after one day??

Andy, 21 was going to be my choice, but i would prefer something that lasted more than 1 track day, any thoughts? cheers

try some tyre grip if try got loads of tread. :p

I think he's referring to one of the tyre softening products. Might bring the 509s back to life.

For a track day tyre, go for a 48 or something like that. You'll kill a set of 21s on a dry track day if you're really going for it. Failing that, get some slicks :)

Andy

I have some slicks that came with the car but not tried them yet :)

actually I was wanting to have a universal tyre to get me to the track, and also to use at the track. Even though I have a spare set of 13 inch wheels, I didn't really fancy carrying them in the westy,then bothering to change them at the track...

looks like I may have to go for a set of a048 on the 13 inch wheels, then change at the track (I hear the 48s are not totally safe if it gets really wet, which it might on the way there)

yep sorry

tyre grip will bring them old tyres back to life.

get from demon tweeks. not cheap but works a treat on old and even new tyres.

used it on my old yoko 520 tyres with only 1mm if tread and over 5 years old. before treatment car would wheel spin in every gear no problem. after it was a different matter.

well worth a try. :D  :D  :D

i can reconmend toyo r888 i use now for track days

thanks Pete, may well be worth a shot :)

I must say the grip seems ok to me, but then I am not used to westy grip and I am sure I am probably underestimating it