• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Bike Speedos

Persil

don't you guys with the BC1200 find the update rate very slow? I have one on my pushbike and even I can accelerate faster than it can cope...... :p

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• geofff

• spm

• Man On The Clapham Omnibus

• Blatman

Hi,

I'm using BC800 and it's spot on. Aldon RR'd were really surprised that it read exactly the same as the dyno speedo :D

Making connections to the tiny wires from the unit is a bit tricky - tested my soldering skills - clean everything!

No backlight fitted (other than a bodged one for SVA). Refresh is fine. And it's line of sight thru the sterring wheel so no problem seeing it. If I had the money I'd go for the spa digital speedo / rev counter  :cool:  but I'm a cheapskate - £8  for my Sigma   :D  Oh...and I moved it to the front wheel after SVA which makes change the back axles over for racing less hassle.

Ta

Geoff

:)

I use a BC800 as well and is usually very accurate. I got it mail order from a bike shop down in Reading (cant remember the name). I split the magnet out of its casing and tank taped it to the inside front O/S wheel rim. This involved extending the wire with some thin speaker wire and sleeving the joints with heat shrink. The sensor pickup is tie wrapped to my cycle wing stay level with the wheel rim.

The only drawback is that there is no back light and the total recorded milage is a faff. I dont drive it at night though there is no issue in my case.

John

don't you guys with the BC1200 find the update rate very slow? I have one on my pushbike and even I can accelerate faster than it can cope...... :p

Mines fine m8 , instant update.

Something wrong with yours me thinks

Mines fine m8 , instant update.

Something wrong with yours me thinks

strange, I have just been reading a thread on blatchat where owners all agree that they are a bit slow on update.

On mine, if you accelerate from say 10 to 15 mph it can take maybe 1-2 seconds before you get the correct reading. Almost as if it has some pretty harsh short term averaging (maybe to remove false triggers)

My wife has a BC800 on her bike and it is pretty much the same.

maybe I am just fussy....

So, do you guys remove the original speedo (i.e. VDO) completely and just use the bike speedo, including for odometer purposes ?

My speedo does'nt work and was thinking of doing this, but unsure whether to remove the old VDO speedo completly (dead weight) and whether the bike speedo odometer is acceptable for MOT etc. (sound here like it is )

It also sounds like a good oppertunity to move the rev counter centrally behind the steering wheel where I can actually see it ! I new I could find an excuse for a new carboon dash some how !!!

Is this the common practice ?......

SPM :xmas:

Hi spm,

Bike speedo / odometer fine for MOT. Or was for mine at KAM auto's in Swindon.

I have my racetech tacho on it's side, peering through the steering wheel at me. I get the full range of needle motion this way. Depends a lot on your wheel design obviously. I've also got to fit my gear change light - line of sight. I was thinking peeping over the top of the steering wheel.

Where's that Alfa Sud picture from?  ???

Ta

Geoff

Its me !

spent last 10 years building and competing in sprints and Hillclimbs with it. 1700cc 140bhp 2 x 40's Dellorto's, rally cams, ported heads, koni's race springs, cage, sparco seats, 3" harnesses, 032R's etc etc etc etc.  

Owned in the family for 20 yrs, it was Dad's road car then we decided to compete with it. Garaged all its life so in brilliant condition and competative.

Got to the limits of its developement without spending another shed load of money on it, Dad passed away & married with 2 very young daughters = I had to choose, and decided to keep the Westfield (Crossflow) and rebuild it for.....competition. More money...aaargh !!!!!  Never mind I am enjoing rebuilding it and will be out next year. Just sold the alfa last month, very sad day. :(  :(

SPM

PS Its me lifting a front wheel through Camp corner at Castle Combe in about 2001. if I remeber correctly.:blues:

Hi spm,

Reminds me of my 33 which I used to race in the 750MC hot hatch. 1500cc taken out to 1560cc with ported head and race cams with the twin downdraughts. Lots of fun.

I got used to replacing gearboxes though :)

What series are you going to run the WF in?  ???

Ta

Geoff

As you would say here the gearbox is made of cheese. Secong gear syncro went all the time.

I tend to do my club events (Bristol MC) i.e Castle Combe, Colerne, Wiscombe, Llandow (WSCC championship round) but I am on the clerking team for some of these events so tend alternate which ones I do. I have done the ASWMC championship in the past but not seriousley enough to be competative as I did'nt travel to the Cornwall rounds.. tooo far !. I have done a Curborough round of the WSCC championship a few years back and would love to do more WSCC rounds.

Now only having the Westfield I am planning to get a Minnow trailer for the Westfield to live on in the garage, its then ready to hook up and go with a lot less hassle than the Alfa, which I used to drive to events. (My wife even agrees that I should get a trailer, so my justification must be right !!;).

On that subject will a SEW with standard track and 6 x 13" wheels go on a single axle Brian James trailer. I fancy one with the fold up neck which will leave me some space in the garage to work, does anyone use one of these ??? A minnow will take up almost the length of the whole garage :sheep:

SPM

Hi SPM,

It's going to be a case of going and measuring one up.

I bought a second hand Brenderup tilt bed single axle and had to move the "catch" bars at the rear for my WF - so I could get it on without having to phaff about removing spacers or fitting "trailering" wheels. Previously used by a C$$$$$$m owner.

It did come with wheel carrier and storage box though. It's also a hell of a lot lighter than my old twin axle (Alfa use) which was a PIG to move around in the paddock on your own.

Good luck

Geoff

I know how that feels, I used to have to borrow a trailer all the time with the alfa as I don't have anywhere to park one. 16' it was and very heavy, towed well though. No fun on your own trying to move it in the pooring rain on the sloped paddock at Wiscombe.

When I started using the Westfield I borrowed a little single axle trailer off of a club member built for his mod prod GTM, it juuust went on (very short bed) but was fantastic, just pushed it in the garage with the car on and pulled it out by hand, hooked up and away. Unfortunately he sold it with the car !!

I like the look of the Micro on the Brian James website but I think it only has a bed of 2.9m. The wide westies are over 3.5m long are'nt they ?

SPM