• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Westfield .... Cateringvan..?

steveb

anyone got a spare cig ???

11 weeks today without one.  I still want one, a good strong Rothmans right now would be bliss, followed by disgust.

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Blatman

• James

• chrisbin

• Martin Keene

All done ?  No insults hurled, no mention of parentage ?  I won't be buying a ticket for the next one  :(  ;)  :D

Don't be too sure...........

......there's always the night shift............... ;)  :devil:  ;)

....................... ;)  ;)

surprisingly mellow after all....... :)

*Anyone got any hob nobs?*

I agree that it is stark staring mad to pay £17K for a K of 140bhp (particularly when there is  a super sorted VX with 220bhp up for grabs for £14K at the mo).

A freind of mine purchased a new C...Van and paid the princely some of £25,000 for a 140BHP example he has sold it now and looking at an Atom now there's power for money if you like that sort of thing! :D

A freind of mine purchased a new C...Van and paid the princely some of £25,000 for a 140BHP example he has sold it now  . . .

He wouldn't like some magic beans would he ?  :D   Proven to create golden seeds  ;)

lo lads, I know I'm late. Me and a crate of Stella are stuck in a taxi for the moment, can't find the party (driver doesn't normally go south of the river), can you shout directions plz?

7) On a sprint/hillclimb/windy road a Westfield needs approx. 30bhp more than a Caterham to provide the same time/performance. It’s a road-space/weight/handling thing.

That's only cos you have to be less than 5'7 and weigh less than 10 Stone to fit in a ~Caterham.......... :p  :p  :p  :D  :D  :D

P.S.

KenE what class records do you have ??????  ???

What kind of times are you doing @ Courborough for single or Double lapper ???

Just interested not having a go... ;)

lo lads, I know I'm late. Me and a crate of Stella are stuck in a taxi for the moment, can't find the party (driver doesn't normally go south of the river), can you shout directions plz?

its somewhere in the midlands as we all know that all cateringvan drivers live down sarf and westie owners live up north

:D  :D  :D

Ken is well quick and his car is totally sorted. He is capable of some stunning times in his Superlight R.

Not sure I agree with the claimed 30 bhp deficit.

:p

Steveb

1)No

2)No

3) Possibly but one hell of a generality (& neither car car be judged in general terms because so many are unique - that's the whole point)

4) No - Caterham powder coating was shaky for about 6 months in 1997 (catch up you lot)

5) No - oh yeah but (Whopee) you can have a CVH or a Pinto in a Westfield (or alternatively you can tie either to a chain & use them as anchors which is really their only good use.

6) No

7) A purely personal view & therefore not worth seeking the views of others on

8)No

9) No -My Caterham can creak like the hammock of a sailor 4000 miles from home

10) No (& I think TSK the paint shop for Caterhams would resent this suggestion)

11)Wahey - Yep

I'd stick to an MR2 mate

I mostly agree with AVES, but...

5. Add in Toyota 4AGE 16 valvers, Cossie Turbo's/Atmos, Vx 1.6 16 valvers, V8's + factory support for 3 types of BEC, which C******m don't do, and a Westfield will give you far more *factory supported* choice for your motive power, IF that is part of the buying criteria...

Now, who's got the hob nobs?

Steveb

1)No

2)No

3) Possibly but one hell of a generality (& neither car car be judged in general terms because so many are unique - that's the whole point)

4) No - Caterham powder coating was shaky for about 6 months in 1997 (catch up you lot)

5) No - oh yeah but (Whopee) you can have a CVH or a Pinto in a Westfield (or alternatively you can tie either to a chain & use them as anchors which is really their only good use.

6) No

7) A purely personal view & therefore not worth seeking the views of others on

8)No

9) No -My Caterham can creak like the hammock of a sailor 4000 miles from home

10) No (& I think TSK the paint shop for Caterhams would resent this suggestion)

11)Wahey - Yep

I'd stick to an MR2 mate

er.. is this the first fighting post??

so

1. Caterhams are not smaller than westfields, so not advantage

2. and Westfield are not better value?

3. so sometimes Caterhams are lighter

4. thats fair enough, if it is the case

5. er Duratec and Zetec are offered from the factory in varying states of tune, yes heavier than K series.  But all over the net and at the house opposite me in the mgf parked there, I'm going with totally unreliable, I have met to many people who have owned a K series engine in varietys of cars and all have said they are rubbish, totally unreliable.

6. So Caterhams don't have better wet weather gear

7. Fair point as i originally said

8. So Caterham backup is better, could be true I realise people on here maybe biast.

9. So they all creak

10. So Caterham bodywork/paint is better

11. Agreed

So don't get this, the bits that were in the Westfields favour are now Caterham and bits where the Caterham were ahead are now superior from westfield?

1.Caterhams are roughly the same size as Narrow Westfields. Internal cockpit space is where you'll notice the difference. Wide Westfields are bigger than standard Caterhams. Cockpit space and wheelbase are *slightly* larger on a wide Westfield. If you can tell the difference in the driving dynamics that this might cause, then you're good...

Wide Caterhams are the size of a small neighbourhood...

2. I think they are, but AVES has a different opinion. However, the two marques share shocks/springs/loom/lights/some ally/some steel/ in such close amounts and application that I am forced to wonder how Caterham justify charging twice as much for virtually identical base products made from almost identical materials used in similar amounts.

8 Caterham back up is probably no better or worse. The Caterham Sales staff suck big time though. At least, they have whenever I've approached them...

10. Different, yop. Better? My car is just as shiny as a TSK paint job...

Ok, for me personally I chose the Westfield over a Caterham because;

1) Cost (Caterham far dearer for an SV with 180bhp Zetec, probably double the price from Caterham themselves).

2) Size (Caterham too small for me - 6' 2" 15stone)

3) Wider availability of cars with greater range of engines + better support

4) IRS as opposed to live axle

I would say that there are a lot of great people in both the WSCC & L7C.

Scott Beeland & Bananaman both offered free rides in their cars before I made a choice & Mark Jackson (Caterham with blade engine) who lives close to Scarborough.  None of which knew me at the time.  That's what makes the clubs great anyway - the people.  Oh ,nearly forgot Paul at PKM, he's great & free with his advice/time.

I still prefer the Caterham (narrow) to look at though but I'm not prepared to pay virtually twice the price or at least 50% more for it.

Mike dB

Edited to add, sorry Mr Crispy Bin - how could I have forgotten about you!!!!!!!  All that advice you gave me for haggling, etc. I was just thinking free rides, whoot!

*michael i think i might be emptying that bottle, got any talisker?*

funny you should say that, I'm off Skye and the outer Hebrides next week. I will get a bottle when I pass.... have some Aberlour while I’m gone.

Has all this whisky got something to do with your arches by any chance?

???