• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Blatman

• James

• chrisbin

• Martin Keene

Right so really for someone like me I'd say the caterhams are basically K series powered and this is their biggest downfall.  Also the powder coating is poor in comparision to westfields, but the front end suspesion on the caterham makes the car a bit more planted.  Caterhams are also more expensive.

I think that really sums it up. Many thanks :D

Normal service will resume shortly, all those on the fence please begin to make your way back to the boardroom......  :D

So are you still set on a westfield then now Steve?

Cheers,

Mark.

Phew! Got here in time for lunch! Here's the sarnies.....now shift up and give me some space to sit down.......

bit cramped mind, isn't it?

bit like being in one of those Cateringvans........

Pass the Rioja Blatters, old chap!

Didn't really want to get into this but would hate to think somebody may be being misinformed.

Right so really for someone like me I'd say the caterhams are basically K series powered and this is their biggest downfall.  Also the powder coating is poor in comparision to westfields, but the front end suspesion on the caterham makes the car a bit more planted.  Caterhams are also more expensive.

K series engines are good and bad in equal measure.  Their big plus point is that they are very light in comparison to most other car engines that you'll find in this this type of car.  The only downside is questionable reliability when you want big power.  If you aren't bothered about big power, then don't be put off.

I don't neccessarily think a caterham will feel any more planted than a Westfield.  Entirely down to set up and spec of which ever cars you're trying.  Basically you can make them handle how you want them to.

Don't know about the powder coating issue.  I thought Caterham had cleaned up their act with this.  Westfield powder coating seems fairly durable.

Basically, like most have said.  Gather as much (unbiased) info as you can and take your choice.

*Pops cork* :suspect:

*Pours Chrisbin a glass of something smooth and red* :0

Any cucmber sarnies in there Chrisbin?

Gadrego, is it just me or are these crisps stale?

Here, try these Quavers...

Mmmm cheesy...

Not sharing your orange ?  Maybe it's because I is a Dax driver, innit ?  ;)

*Cheers Blatters!*

*Cucumber sarnies? Hmmm, sorry, I think the L7Club got all those.........got some Beef and horseradish though.....*

*Cheers Blatters!*

*Cucumber sarnies? Hmmm, sorry, I think the L7Club got all those.........got some Beef and horseradish though.....*

Ah, a mans sandwich. Ta...

Pass the OJ to Steve_m would you. He's getting a bit uppity there over in the corner...

For £8000-10000 then I would definitely go for a westfield. My 2001 reg 155 bhp 1800 zetec westy has almost identical performance (except less understeer!;) than my twin brother's 2001 reg 140 bhp, 6speed, 1800 K-series supersport Caterham. But if I were to trade in my westy for a similarly performing Caterham then I would need another £8000 - now that is a lot of westy upgrades.

The Caterham is great and feels very solid and doesn't creak as much due to its ali bodywork, though it is small and you WILL need racing shoes to avoid pressing the brake and acclerator pedals at the same time.

The fiberglass on my westy does creak more, though it has much better powder coating of the chassis and no paint blisters to worry about, which is very common on painted ali. It is also a tad wider being a SEiW and the elbow and pedal box room is much easier to live with. The only bad bit on the westy used to be the weather gear if you had an RAC bar as the Caterham's one fits very nicely under the hood, though the new westy RAC hood/frame might be O.K. I didn't like the SV Cat because everything seemed bigger, even the seats which didn't provide a nice hug.

As for the people, obviously as MarkB said, you probably do get prats in each club, though I have found the westy club very welcoming. My brother is even going to give up his L7GB club membership to join the westy club, if that say's anything at all. The factory staff at westfield, also in my experience, are much more friendly. The first comment we got at the Caterham showroom last time when we said we turned up in a seven was about whether it was a proper one or a copy. My friend is also waiting for his SVA for his zetec roadsport, but even he (who as always wanted a Caterham) is wondering whether he made the right choice as the factory hasn't been helpful and he has spent £17000, and that is with only 140bhp and things like cloth seats. £17000 would have a bought a top westy...

Hope that helps.

Kev.

K series engines are good and bad in equal measure.  Their big plus point is that they are very light in comparison to most other car engines that you'll find in this this type of car.  The only downside is questionable reliability when you want big power.  If you aren't bothered about big power, then don't be put off.

You may have heard of different experiences than me, but I'm afraid I know several people with bog standard rovers etc where the headgaskets have all gone.

A bloke I work with had rovers for years, the headgaskets went on all of them (4 cars all with K series engines), he now buys fords & has had no probs....... :oops:

It's ok if you don't mind doing a headgasket on it every so many years, but with so many other good engines around these days I don't see many advantages of the K series anymore.

yes still set on a westy, i have looked at other alternatives and posting on boards that should be non biast, the conclusion is still westy.

My friend is also waiting for his SVA for his zetec roadsport, but even he (who as always wanted a Caterham) is wondering whether he made the right choice as the factory hasn't been helpful and he has spent £17000, and that is with only 140bhp and things like cloth seats. £17000 would have a bought a top westy...

£17,000 for 140 bhp ?  Streeeeeeeewth !  You've got to be a K series fan for that haven't you.  Has he changed a head gasket beofre ?  ;)

(Thanks for the OJ ! :t-up: )